× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XAV5401 nvm firmware update

Mr_Funk
Aspirant

XAV5401 nvm firmware update

Hello,

I'm looking for a firmware nvm file to update my 2 XAV5401 plugs. I'm experiencing disconnects from time to time between the 2 plugs.

Currently, the firmware version is MAC-QCA7420-1.1.1.1190-01-20130729-FINAL and there are no tools on Netgear download page to update the firmware using Linux.

If anybody can provide or point me to latest PIB and NVM files, that'll be great.

Regards...

Model: XAV5401|Powerline 500 Passthrough Home Adapter
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Mr_Funk
Aspirant

Re: XAV5401 nvm firmware update

Thanks,

I finally managed to get the powerplugs working again using a PIB file that I've found alongside a generic firmware (for Qualcomm Atheros 7420 controller). I've customized the PIB file with the informations I've managed to get from the plugs and then saved the PIB file to the plugs.

Anyway, this topic can be closed.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

The only firmware I have seen for AV500 Powerline plugs is for XWN5001 / XWNB5201 / XWNB5602 wifi plugs.

Message 2 of 7
Mr_Funk
Aspirant

Hi,

I saw the firmware for the models you've mentioned but it's only an .img file (from what I recall). Moreover, I'm not sure that it'll apply to the XAV5401 powerplug which don't have built-in WiFi.

Regards,

Model: XAV5401|Powerline 500 Passthrough Home Adapter
Message 3 of 7

@Mr_Funk wrote:

I saw the firmware for the models you've mentioned but it's only an .img file (from what I recall). Moreover, I'm not sure that it'll apply to the XAV5401 powerplug which don't have built-in WiFi.

Those img files are one of Netgear's standard firmware types. The other one is chk. The manual explains how to use this file.

That firmware is for the wifi plugs. It explains this in the release notes for the firmware.

It will not do anything for the standard powerline plug. As I explained earlier, that is because they do not have firmware that you can update.

What make you think that there is firmware for your plugs? Where did you read about nvm files?

I would look for other reasons for your issues.

Message 4 of 7
Mr_Funk
Aspirant

HI,

This is what I get when requesting information from my working plug (MAC address hidden on purpose):

#> plcstat -i enp3s0f1 -t
P/L NET TEI ------ MAC ------ ------ BDA ------ TX RX CHIPSET FIRMWARE
LOC STA 000 20:0C:C8:xx:xx:xx 80:FA:5B:2C:A5:1F n/a n/a QCA7420 MAC-QCA7420-1.1.1.1190-01-20130729-FINAL

And this is what I get from couple of plugs (same model as above) that are not working:

#> plcstat -i enp3s0f1 -t
 P/L NET TEI ------ MAC ------ ------ BDA ------  TX  RX CHIPSET FIRMWARE
 LOC STA 000 00:B0:52:00:00:03 80:FA:5B:2C:A5:1F n/a n/a QCA7420 MAC-QCA7420-1.2.0.1578-01-20150617-CS

Thus I was looking for the firmware file for XAV5401 called MAC-QCA7420-1.1.1.1190-01-20130729-FINAL.nvm (or latest if available) to flash them in order to restore the plugs.

When searching for it under netgear dowload site (https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=XAVB5401), I couldn't find any firmware at all hence my post on this forum.

Regards

Message 5 of 7

@Mr_Funk wrote:

When searching for it under netgear dowload site (https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=XAVB5401), I couldn't find any firmware at all hence my post on this forum.

I repeat, to my knowledge Netgear has never released firmware updates for Powerline plugs. (Can't find anything on ZyXel either.)

The XAV range dates back a decade, so it won't be getting any updates. Netgear has replaced tyhe "500" range with "1000" plugs that have gigabit ethernet.

Message 6 of 7
Mr_Funk
Aspirant

Thanks,

I finally managed to get the powerplugs working again using a PIB file that I've found alongside a generic firmware (for Qualcomm Atheros 7420 controller). I've customized the PIB file with the informations I've managed to get from the plugs and then saved the PIB file to the plugs.

Anyway, this topic can be closed.

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7