× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XWNB5201 - For second room HELP PLEASE :-(

borischelski
Aspirant

XWNB5201 - For second room HELP PLEASE :-(

Unfortunately I am getting myself very confused.

Our PC is upstairs but we have a poor wifi signal blackspot in my daughters upstairs bedroom. I purchased the above and it perfectly resolved the problem in my daughters room.

However the wifi signal is also poor in our downstairs lounge so I am thinking of buying a similar model.

Do I simply buy exactly the same model again ( seem to be out of stock) ? Or is there an updated model I should buy ?

There seems to be such a complex range I am confused.

Please could someone send me an amazon link for UK & I will immediately buy based on your advice ?

Thankyou so much !
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
borischelski
Aspirant

Re: XWNB5201 - For second room HELP PLEASE :-(

Sorry i missed that link !

I followed your advice all the way through from purchase to settings and now works perfectly.

Thankyou so much for your help !

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies

You can check the PLW1000.

Message 2 of 19
borischelski
Aspirant

Hi there

Thanks for this.

Just checking, can I use this at the same as my other upstairs adapter ?
Message 3 of 19

Yes if this is the electric network.

If you are satisfied by the response kudo and accept the solution.

Have a nice day.

if you have more question shoot!

Regards!

Message 4 of 19
borischelski
Aspirant

Sorry to ask another question but what do you mean by "if this is the electric network" ?
Message 5 of 19

It depends on your electric distribution layout.

1 general case you have only one phase and one inlet so plug as you want!

2 3 phase electric grid so each phase has its own network even if it is the same electric meter.

3 2 floors with its own electric meter so repeter!

Message 6 of 19

If you have any questions shoot!

Message 7 of 19

Did I aswered all your questions and solved your problem?

Message 8 of 19
borischelski
Aspirant

I am really sorry but am not an expert and have no idea what all these different terms mean !

"distribution layout" ,
"general case", "inlet", "phase", "electric grid", "network", "electric meter"."
Message 9 of 19

How your electricity is distributed?

If your house has one electric meter the stuff witch send you the bill and there is only single phase then you can plug where ever you want your PLC.

BUT if the configuration is diferent ask me how to solve the issue!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-phase_electric_power

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase

Message 10 of 19
borischelski
Aspirant

I live in a standard 2 storey house with I think standard electricity and plug sockets.

I have a broadband box upstairs & the existing powerline is connected by an ethernet cable. The powerline adapter is also upstairs in my daughters bedroom.

I would assume that with this additional new model that i plug in upstairs next to the existing powerline and connect this to the modem with a second ethernet cable.

Does this work ?

Message 11 of 19

I am sure at 95% you can try.

I just wanted to explain that because I had to deal with such bizarres intallations at relatives palces!

If you are atified you can olso accept solution!

Have a nice day!

Message 12 of 19

Do you have some news?

Message 13 of 19

@borischelski wrote:
I would assume that with this additional new model that i plug in upstairs next to the existing powerline and connect this to the modem with a second ethernet cable.

You can add new powerline plugs to an existing network. It is an easy job.

You need to have only one powerline plug attached to your modem/router. So the one there already will feed other plugs.

If you do buy new plugs to add to an existing network, you have to remember to follow this:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This is because out of the box plugs will only talk to the other plug in the box.

In your case, the easiest thing to do is to buy another pair with the XWNB5201.You will then have a new wifi source and a spare plug that you can use for something else.

If you can't get those (remember, Amazon is not the only, and rarely the cheapest, supplier) then something like the NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS would work.

You can mix different brands and different speeds so long as they use the AV standard. But remember that the network will operate at the speed of the slowest plugs.

You may have to work out how to configure two wifi extenders so that they don't fight with each other, but we can deal with that when you come to it.

Newer plugs like the PLW1000 have a LAN socket that does 1000 Mbps. (That's the speed that the plug talks to the device attached to the LAN socket, not the speed over the mains.) Your plugs are 100 Mbps, but for most of us that is fine. If you have Internet that is faster than 100 Mbps (lucky you), then that might be a factor to consider.

Message 14 of 19

By the way @borischelski  when you add PLC on your network it is really easy, plug connect to your device and done deal!

if you need more info shoot!

Message 15 of 19
borischelski
Aspirant

Dear michaelkenward

Thankyou for your advice.

I have now gone ahead and purchased another XWNB5201.

However I am now struggling to work out how to connect.

I am guessing that i use the existing XWN5001 and try to connect it to the new XAV5201 ?

Are there any online instructions explaining in very basic terms tbe process to connect a second XAV5201 ?
Message 16 of 19

@borischelski wrote:
I am guessing that i use the existing XWN5001 and try to connect it to the new XAV5201 ?

More the other way round. You have to connect the new XAV5201 to the existing XWN5001.

Did you read the piece at the end of the link I posted before?

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22165?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 17 of 19
borischelski
Aspirant

Sorry i missed that link !

I followed your advice all the way through from purchase to settings and now works perfectly.

Thankyou so much for your help !

Message 18 of 19

That's good. Enjoy the new network!

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7