× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XWNB5201 vs XWNB5221

gummi
Aspirant

XWNB5201 vs XWNB5221

What is the difference between XWNB5201 and XWNB5221?
I noticed a difference in physical dimensions but is there anything else? Trying to decide which one to get.

Message 1 of 14
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Re: XWNB5201 vs XWNB5221

Based on support site: netgear.com

WiFi Performance

XWNB5201:
802.11b/g/n up to 300Mbps

XWNB5221:
802.11n up to 300Mbps†
Message 2 of 14
gummi
Aspirant

I see. Thanks for answering 🙂
Message 3 of 14
Fairytail
Virtuoso

No Problem. Anytime. 🙂
Message 4 of 14
Jeannet
Tutor

I'm sorry - I'm totally ignorant - I can see they're different, but which of these two is better?

I have a garden studio with a smart TV which receives Wifi fine (e.g. I can get IPlayer), but not Netflix. I'm told Netflix needs a stronger signal.

The studio is on a different circuit but on the same phase as the house (my electrician tells me). Virgin Media told me to get Netgear XWNB5201 but not which one of these. They did say I should get the one with two antennas - but I can't see which version that is.

Any advice very much appreciated! With kind regards, Jeannet  🙂

Message 5 of 14

Asking the same question several times confuses people.

Netgear XWNB5201 - Boosting signal to receive Netf... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 6 of 14
SamirD
Prodigy

I would forget trying to go wireless if you're using powerline.  Just get a powerline to work in an outlet near the television and run a cable--your speeds will be much, much faster this way and netflix will seem like tv.  How do I know?  Because that's what I did.

We have an FVS318N literally 6 feet away on the other side of a wall.  Just for kicks, I connected a powerline to the FVS318N via a cable and then put another powerline by the tv and connected the tv by cable.  The results?  The internet speed on the television was 6x faster via powerline.  I left the powerlines in place and the television wired.

Message 7 of 14
Jeannet
Tutor

Thanks very much for your response, Samir. I have in the end used a Netgear Wifi Network Extender, and that's working really well. Many thanks for your suggestion, though. All the best, Jeannet 🙂

Message 8 of 14
SamirD
Prodigy

You're welcome!  If speed is every an issue, now you know exactly what to do. 😉

Message 9 of 14
sunnyday
Aspirant

Does this really answer the question? Is one or the other a later model, better hardware? Is there a benefit to having b/g/n vs. just n? What does this "†" stand for?

Message 10 of 14
JamesGL
Master

You may try checking the comparison of the two products. They have the same features and performance.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

Message 11 of 14
netwrks
Master

@sunnyday wrote:

Does this really answer the question? Is one or the other a later model, better hardware? Is there a benefit to having b/g/n vs. just n? What does this "†" stand for?

Simple answer.. Google them!!

Message 12 of 14
SamirD
Prodigy

I'm afraid there's a good chance the answer isn't public information.  My guess is that there's two different chipsets involved, which would been two different performance characteristics (which one is better?), but also depending on the price point of the two units, one may have a better build quality than another.  The only technical difference is one can do only N while the other can do b/g and N.

Message 13 of 14
clithes
Prodigy

No real difference, just an upgraded version of the same thing

Both kits are b/g/n @ 2.4GHz and the "†" means someone's copied the text from the data sheet and not quoted the rest:

"†" Actual data throughput and data over distance will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building material and construction, and network overhead, result in lower actual data throughput rate.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/XWNB5201.pdf

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/XWNB5221.pdf

Hope this helps

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7