× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

device count and compatablility

NewMario64
Aspirant

device count and compatablility

I bought a powerline(PL) adapter starter kit about 2 years ago and have been loving it. However i've been wanting to hook more locations into my PL network but i'm having a hard time finding the information i really need to inform my decision. My Starter kit was for NETGEAR's XAVB5201 I'm pretty sure V1 the box does not say what version.

My Main question is how many PL adapters can this version actually since with? I found a document by NETGEAR about PL devices in general that says up to 64 is possibly but to check the FAQ for the specific device. However, I can't find anything about how meny PL adapters my device can connect to.

I would also like to know what other PL adapters are compatible with my device?

Finally I would like to check to see if my device could use a firmware update how would i go about that?

Model: XAVB5201|Powerline 500 Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: device count and compatablility

@NewMario64 wrote:

My Main question is how many PL adapters can this version actually since with? I found a document by NETGEAR about PL devices in general that says up to 64 is possibly but to check the FAQ for the specific device. However, I can't find anything about how meny PL adapters my device can connect to.

Is this the document you found?

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Are you contemplating a network with more than 64 plugs?

Did you read the documentation for the XAVB5201?

XAVB5201 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

This says:

"In addition to Powerline 500 devices, you can add Homeplug AV certified adapters, for a total of up to 16 devices."

Put those two things together and it is as clear as mud.

When you do add new plugs to an existing network, remember to follow these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@NewMario64 wrote:

Is this the document you found?

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Are you contemplating a network with more than 64 plugs?

Did you read the documentation for the XAVB5201?

This says:

"In addition to Powerline 500 devices, you can add Homeplug AV certified adapters, for a total of up to 16 devices."

Put those two things together and it is as clear as mud.

When you do add new plugs to an existing network, remember to follow these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
NewMario64
Aspirant

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support was the document i was first refering to And i did go through the documentation for the product and after going through again i found a chart converming what your saying about the compadability: How to troubleshoot NETGEAR powerlines connectivity. However, I have yet to find your quote.

Thank you for you help. that just leaves the question about how to update the firmware on the device. this page: XAV5201 Firmware Version 0.3.0.6NA suggests that an update existis but dose not say what the update invoses, or how to download it or install it. dose my device update automaticaly? or dose the univeral utility, found here: Powerline Universal Utility Version 3.1.0.4, have a way of updating firmware that i'm not seeing?

Message 3 of 4

@NewMario64 wrote:
this page: XAV5201 Firmware Version 0.3.0.6NA suggests that an update existis

That page says

Initial Release.

That's not an update. It is what it says it is.

There is no update on the support page.

@NewMario64 wrote:

However, I have yet to find your quote.

Newer version but it is generic text.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements