× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to set up one connection to avoid changing powerline network connection

Alexneves
Aspirant

how to set up one connection to avoid changing powerline network connection

Product: PLW 1000 powerline with 2 extra wifi powerlines PLW1000V2

big house, with 3 floors. Everytime I change floor the wifi gets weak and I need to connect to another powerline adaptor.

Is there a solution to have one (stable) connection that encompasses all the powerline adaptors in the house? 

thank you so much for your input; 

alex

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: how to set up one connection to avoid changing powerline network connection

Hi Alexneves, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Here's the reference link of how you can change the WiFi settings of your Powerline access point: 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/PL1000/Powerline_UM_EN.pdf [page 18]

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 5

@Alexneves wrote:

Everytime I change floor the wifi gets weak and I need to connect to another powerline adaptor.

This is also down to the wifi devices you use. It is up to them to negotiate their wifi connections. There is not much that your wifi sources can do about it.

It does not help that Powerline access points are bound to be less powerful than purpose built wifi extenders. They can have fancy "smart connect" modes that reduce the problem you see.

Message 3 of 5
Alexneves
Aspirant

Hi Michael

thank you for your reply. What if I name all the powerline connections the same name with the same password. Would that perhaps work in having to connect to only one network accross the house?

Alex

Message 4 of 5

@Alexneves wrote:

Would that perhaps work in having to connect to only one network accross the house?

You won't have only one network if you have several wifi sources.

@Alexneves wrote:

Hi Michael

thank you for your reply. What if I name all the powerline connections the same name with the same password.

You can do that, but it does not remove the need for your wifi clients to login to the best wifi source as you move around.

Having the same SSID and password could actually confuse the wifi clients. They will see the same things wherever you go.

I assume that you have changed the wifi channels on these plugs so that they are not the same.

You don't say what your mobile wifi clients are. In my experience, some are better than others at finding and connecting to new wifi sources. You should be able to move around and leave it to the wifi clients to latch on the best source automatically.

Remember, Powerline access points are not the most powerful of wifi sources. Given their shape and size, they can never match a proper wifi extender.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7