× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: mca1001 - setup issues

mca1001 - setup issues

OK, I thought I would give Netgear another shot... I purchased the MCA1001
I have it hooked up as follows: The Unit #1 - COAX OUT is connected to the cable going to my other room, the ethernet connection is hooked up to my switch. Unit #2 the COAX IN is hooked up to the wall and the ethernet goes to my PC. These units cannot see each other or connect to my network.

Real question is why would I have to connect my Unit #1 IN to the incoming Internet and the OUT to the Router? If I do that I have not OUT COAX to my other room? What am I missing??? Confused... Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

this is how it design to see other mca devcie and filtering correctly using with cables.
Message 2 of 7

I am not sure how this helps me resolve my issue? I just want it to work to support my internet/network extension in my house. Thanks.
Message 3 of 7

OK, I got the system to work. However, when I run Speedtest.Net my download goes from 10mbps to less than 1mbps. What do I have to do in order to keep my speed at 10mbps? Thanks for your help.
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

behind the router or behind the Mca are remote end?
Message 5 of 7

behind the MCA
Message 6 of 7
redman0
Aspirant

you probably have this resolved by now, but I just setup my MCA1001 and I thought the instructions were somewhat confusing, I believe you have to tie both ends of the coax cable between rooms to the Coax IN, did you try this already? The Coax out is for the local equipment by each adapter as a pass through for the TV signals.

For my setup, I am not able to run an ethernet cable between locations (otherwise I would have just stuck with a real ethernet cable), but there is already a coax cable, which is why I chose this product, and I am not currently using the TV features on the remote end. The instructions seem very backwards to me, and since I wanted to avoid all the splitters and such with the coax network, I just isolated (pulled it off all the splitters) the one coax cable between my remote location and the router. Then I just connnected the coax cable to the Coax IN on BOTH adapters (this is the key detail), and the ethernet cable to the router at source end and the ethernet to the computer (actually another router then computer) at the remote end, and everything works great. The setup utility actually shows that I am getting like 250Mbps throughput, so it seems being able to isolate the one coax cable just for this effort has helped keep the throughput near max. I am not using the security since I would think that would chew up some bandwith, and since I am on an isolated cable inside the house, it is not really necessary.

The documentation for this product does seem very minimal and poorly written for additional configurations, but I hope this helps.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7