× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

modem/router with wake on lan support

vicolodo
Novice

modem/router with wake on lan support

Hello,
i am searching for some wireless modem/router supporting WAKE On LAN:
my home network is configured as follow:

modem-router SITECOM wl-606 -- wireless -- access point EDIMAX -- ethernet cable -- pc with windows XP (SP2), blu ray player

i would like to substitute my modem-router (that dont support wake on lan) with a netgear router supporting Wake on Lan...

Could someone help me?
Do you know any modem/router wireless supporting wake on lan?

Thanks!
Lodovico
Message 1 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Re: modem/router with wake on lan support

Wake-on-LAN does not require support from your modem router - it is a purely internal LAN process, and will even work on a LAN with no router.
Message 2 of 5
vicolodo
Novice

Ok thanks,
but i know there are modem routers that has Wake on LAN option...
or that can save static ARP entries to perform the wake on internal LAN devices from outside the LAN (i.e. with 3G connection on www) ... or that can send broadcast messages (final .255)...
so i was asking wich NETGEAR modem routers can perform this task...
Message 3 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

None has wake up on LAN feature. For LAN, like forded said it should all work
Message 4 of 5
fordem
Mentor

vicolodo wrote:
Ok thanks,
but i know there are modem routers that has Wake on LAN option...
or that can save static ARP entries to perform the wake on internal LAN devices from outside the LAN (i.e. with 3G connection on www) ... or that can send broadcast messages (final .255)...
so i was asking wich NETGEAR modem routers can perform this task...

Your question was about Wake-on-LAN.

Wake-on-LAN implies you're sending the "magic packet" across the Local Area Network - which is distinctly different to sending it across the internet, or a wide area network or WAN.

To the best of my knowledge, no Netgear product supports this and very few consumer products do - the common practice is to disable support for ip directed broadcast (which I believe is an IEEE mandate), and to not provide a way for the user to enable it.

There are significant security risks involved in the use of ip directed broadcasts - not just to your data, but to the stability & useability of the internet as an ecommerce platform.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7