× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

plw 1010 nod

StevenF1947
Aspirant

plw 1010 nod

I have a plw1010 connected to my ac1750. I live in a brick & rebar apartment building and need more coverage. Since Wi-Fi is so badly interrupted by the brick I want to know if I Can buy  and connect just a plw nod with an ethernet plug ? I don't need another wired connection to the AC1750, model R6700v3.

Thanks

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: plw 1010 nod

@StevenF1947 wrote:

I have a plw1010 connected to my ac1750.

Is this ac1750 the R6700v3 mentioned later? ac1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

PLW1010 is a powerline bundle that includes a wifi access point (AP) as the remote plug. The normal arrangement is to connect the PL1010 to the router and then to use the PLW1010 access point as the remote plug.

So your arrangement confuses me. Is the PLW1010 really connected to the router?

If you are looking for a standalone AP plug, then you are out of luck. Netgear, and other powerline brands, seem to be reluctant to sell single plugs. But some brands are more flexible

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. (The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs, or vice versa, they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.) So if you can find an AP plug that's a different brand,  you should be able to get it to work with the Netgear plugs.

In theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

An alternative would be to use a plain Powerline plug as the Ethernet link to a more conventional AP.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@StevenF1947 wrote:

I have a plw1010 connected to my ac1750.

Is this ac1750 the R6700v3 mentioned later? ac1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

PLW1010 is a powerline bundle that includes a wifi access point (AP) as the remote plug. The normal arrangement is to connect the PL1010 to the router and then to use the PLW1010 access point as the remote plug.

So your arrangement confuses me. Is the PLW1010 really connected to the router?

If you are looking for a standalone AP plug, then you are out of luck. Netgear, and other powerline brands, seem to be reluctant to sell single plugs. But some brands are more flexible

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. (The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs, or vice versa, they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.) So if you can find an AP plug that's a different brand,  you should be able to get it to work with the Netgear plugs.

In theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

An alternative would be to use a plain Powerline plug as the Ethernet link to a more conventional AP.

Message 2 of 4
StevenF1947
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer.

The PLW1010 is really connected to the router via ethernet. So it seems I will end up buying a solution (2) and having a useless piece to dump in a drawer.

I will stick with NETGEAR. I like the equipment and have had  great results with the routers in my office. Besides I  want the easiest one to configure.

I just need to be sure which solution will be the most compatible and require the least expertise to setup

Thanks again for your help

Message 3 of 4

@StevenF1947 wrote:

The PLW1010 is really connected to the router via ethernet.

Seems a bit odd. Why attach a wifi access point to a router that, I assume, also delivers wifi?

The more normal layout is to have the "ethernet only" plug connected to the router and the  PLW1010 AP bit as a remote plug.

@StevenF1947 wrote:

So it seems I will end up buying a solution (2) and having a useless piece to dump in a drawer.

It won't be long before you end up with a bit of kit that could use an Ethernet connection. Something like a Smart TV.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7