× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

powerline 2000 is slow

Jeremyk2157
Aspirant

powerline 2000 is slow

Hi, I am very disapointed with the broadband speed over the powerline 2000 and am about to return it to the store unless anyone can help me resolve this issue.

2 days ago gigabit fibre was installed and i connected an Asus RT-ax58u router.

When my laptop is connected directly to the router I get over 900Mbps, wirelessly I get 180Mbps, over powerline i get about the same as wireless, sometimes less.

The PLP2000 (is brand new, never been used before) I plugged directly into the power socket next to the router and connected them with an eternet cable, the extra adpater is plugged directly into a power sockect in another room and an eternet cable connected to my laptop.I've done a factory reset on both and then connected the two devices, all lights are green on both adapters.

My house is not very old having been built in the mid nineties so I expect the electrical circuits to be good.

I purchased the Poweline 2000 because on the box it states > Extremely fast gigabit speeds. mmm

Can anyone help or do I return to the store? The PLP2000 cost me almost $200 NZD so it's not a trivial amount.

Thanks in advance.

J

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: powerline 2000 is slow

Powerline devices are even more overinflated than wifi devices. 

I'd read a few reviews on them about how they actually perform as well as how fast speeds drop off when powerline devices are on different circuits. 

Smallnetbuilder has review quite a few of them (not sure if any 2000mbps devices) and its worth reading a few different devices performance. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/powerline/view

Message 2 of 5

@plemans wrote:

Powerline devices are even more overinflated than wifi devices. 

Powerline plugs also seem to be more susceptible to local factors. Even the newest mains circuit can have something nasty plugged into it to interfere with the Powerline signal.

Powerline devuces were also designed in the days before Internet connections hit Gbps speeds.

Many people can only dream of getting 180Mbps. (Does a connection that "slow" really hinder anything anyone does? Or is this just a case of measuring speeds for the sake of it?) For most of us, still stuck with DSL internet, Powerline speeds are as good as we'll get.

To my mind, Powerline isn't there to replace proper Ethernet cables but to avoid the flakiness of wifi and to get a connection to places where I don't want to run wires. Powerline is a good way to connect a smart TV, beating wifi hands down for connectivity and ease of setup.

Message 3 of 5
Jeremyk2157
Aspirant

Hi Plemans,

Thanks for the response. You are right 180 Mbps is not slow and I admit I should have worded the subject differently and said the Powerline 2000 speed is disappointing.

I've done some more testing and am getting much faster speed when the pl adapter is in the next room to the router, I'm getting about 290Mbps download and up to 400 upload so I assume now I'm on the same physical electricity circuit whereas previously I probably wasn't.

I know these speeds are great compared to DSL where I was getting 60-100 download, my gripe is that I get 900+ at the modem and on the Powerline 2000 box it states 'Extremely fast gigabit speeds', that's why I paid $200 NZD. I've got a support ticket raised with Netgear but I suspect I'll return the adapters and run ethernet under the floor. 

btw wireless from my laptop is 187Mbps download, 135 upload - sweet deams  🙂

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you've got the option of running ethernet, its going to out perform powerline/moca/ any day. 

Highly worth it especially if you run it your self. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7