× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

powerline 500 compatibility with other powerline 500s

nexus341
Follower

powerline 500 compatibility with other powerline 500s

Hi,

I need to add another adaptor to my network at the back of the house where the wifi signal is poor. The existing powerline receiver is an xwn5001 which I can't seem to find anywhere and I'm not sure which other models are compatible with the XWNB5201 sender. 

Can anyone help? Any advice gratefully recieved!

Model: XWNB5201|Powerline 500 WiFi Access Point
Message 1 of 2

Re: powerline 500 compatibility with other powerline 500s

The xwn5001 is a powerline LAN plug that doubles as an access point. Do you want another AP? Or just LAN plugs?

Netgear, like most other makers, does not sell single plugs. So you'll have to buy a pair, or add plugs from a different maker.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

When you do add plugs to an existing network, you should follow these instructions:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

If you browse through the messages in this bit of the forum, you will find that some people report problems with putting two Powerline APs on a single network. An alternative approach is to put a standard AP on the receiving end of a LAN Powerline plug.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7