× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

powerline adapter v extender

JS2989
Aspirant

powerline adapter v extender

I"m moving to a larger house and dont know if it's better to get a powerline adapter and attach a router to it (does that work) or to get an extender. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: powerline adapter v extender

You didn't exactly give us much to go off. 

How big is the home you're moving to? 

What are the interior walls made? (certain materials block wifi better than others)

How old is the home? (older wiring can have issues with powerline)

What are your goals? Are you trying to provide more coverage? trying to just centrally locate the router? 

What exactly is going on so you are attempting this. 

Message 2 of 5

As @plemans says, your message amounts to "how long is a piece of string?".

As well as their questions, you could also add say something about the equipment you have now.

Message 3 of 5
JS2989
Aspirant

The house is about 4500sf across 3 levels. I need good connectivity on all three levels for two home offices and two middle schoolers w remote schooling, as well as a need for zwift. I don't know what the walls are like bc I don't close on the house until tomorrow. The house was built in 2008. 
I recently bought an nightwahwk X6 R8000 router. 

I also have an EX7300 (v1... bought more than 4 years ago). It seems to work ok in my current house but I can't figure out if it can have the same name as the router instead of haviing the _EXT added. 

for the new place was thinking about the EX8000.

suggestions welcome!

Message 4 of 5

@JS2989 wrote:

for the new place was thinking about the EX8000.

suggestions welcome!

Sounds like shooting in the dark. Start with what you want to do rather than ideas about equipment.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7