× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: powerline plw1010

jbander1
Aspirant

powerline plw1010

The second light from the left comes on tan but goes on and off. and I cant connect with my tablet. Ever though it shows the netword and the signal is excelent.

Message 1 of 9

@jbander1 wrote:

The second light from the left comes on tan but goes on and off.

That is the Pick A Plug LED.

Is the PLW 1010 delivering a wired network?

There is support and a manual for the PLW1010 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLW1010 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 9
jbander1
Aspirant

I have the manual that came with it. If there is something different that you were sending me to then , I get "no such page"  I have to think that my wired system  won't let wifi go through my wiring sucessfuly for some reason. Which kind of makes my purchase quite a waste of money.

Message 3 of 9

@jbander1 wrote:

I have the manual that came with it. If there is something different that you were sending me to then , I get "no such page" 

Looks like they moved it.

Try this:

PLW1010 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

@jbander1 wrote:

I have to think that my wired system  won't let wifi go through my wiring successfully for some reason.

I have no idea what that means. The wired system does not "let wifi go through" it.

It lets the two plugs work as wired LAN devices. Then the remote plug connects to the router's plug and has a wifi access point that spits out its own wifi signal.

The wifi bit will not work if the wired bit fails. So sort that out first and then set up the wifi.

I'm afraid I don't understand your first message. YOu say:

The second light from the left comes on tan but goes on and off. and I cant connect with my tablet.

For a start, what does "comes on tan" mean? Amber?

If I am right and that is the pick-a-plug light the colour will indicate the quality of the connection over the mains. Look at the manual to work out what is going on. Amber is OK but not great. Green is best.

I assume that you are trying to connect your tablet with wifi.

Set the plugs up in the same room, then move the wifi one to where you want it. The plug will remember its settings.

Don't give up. These things are notoriously difficult to set up.

Message 4 of 9
jbander1
Aspirant

Well first I think we are talking about two different things a powerline runs the wifi through your electrical system. We have to start at that point.

Message 5 of 9

@jbander1 wrote:

Well first I think we are talking about two different things a powerline runs the wifi through your electrical system.

No it doesn't.

Did you read what I wrote?

Powerline runs the ethernet through the mains. (You can get powerline systems that do not support wifi.)

The ethernet connects the two plugs. In the PLW1010 and other powerline wifi systems the "remote" W plug is also an access point.

You can even use Powerline to run strandard wifi access points. I currently have a powerline network that has an Orbi router at the "remote" end.

@jbander1 wrote:

We have to start at that point.

We have to start understanding how these things work. You will not get wifi to work over powerline until you get wired LAN to work over powerline.

I have explained how to do that. If you cannot manage that process, then you would do better to return your plugs and buy something that is simpler to set up.

Message 6 of 9
jbander1
Aspirant

You might want to think about its name "powerline"  I really don't know how we can go anywhere with this because it's the house wiring that seems to be the problem.

One way to connect a network-capable home theater component to your router is by using powerline adapters. A powerline adapter is an alternative to running in-wall Ethernet cables or relying on possible unstable WiFi. A powerline adapter has the ability to send your music, photo, video, and computer data over your household's existing electrical wiring just like it would over Ethernet cables.

A network-enabled home theater component or other network device connects to a powerline adapter using an ethernet cable. The powerline adapter is plugged into a wall electrical outlet. Once plugged in, you can use the powerline adapter to send and/or receive media files and data over your home's electrical to a second powerline adapter plugged in another location. To do this a second powerline adapter is plugged into a wall electrical outlet near the location of your router. It is connected to your router using an Ethernet cable. 

Message 7 of 9

@jbander1 wrote:

You might want to think about its name "powerline"  I really don't know how we can go anywhere with this because it's the house wiring that seems to be the problem.

I agree with all that, which you seem to have lifted from a Netgear website. The question is, do you understand what you have copied?

If so why did you bang on about "wifi over powerline". The idea that:

a powerline runs the wifi through your electrical system

Is nonsense. The wifi does not run through your electrical system. The wired LAN does that. Get the powerline to work, then worry about the wifi bit.

Did you get that far?

I don't think we can take this much further until you give a clearer details of what you are doing and where it goes wrong. Your description of how powerline works does not tie up with your explanation of what you are doing.

Message 8 of 9
jbander1
Aspirant

Well I think I'll take a pass on that, maybe someone else is on the same page as me. If not then I'll try someplace else but thanks anyway.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7