× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rearranging PLP 2000 and adding PL1000

Jammer0910
Aspirant

rearranging PLP 2000 and adding PL1000

I currently have a pair of PLP2000's (they both have 2 ports). One in router room (only using 1 of the ports to router) and one in LR (using both ports to smart TV & Directv). I need to move the one in router room with 2 ports to another room with 2 PC's and replace it with a PL1000 which only has one port. Any ideas how to do that? Since I was only using 1 port of the two, I figured it would be cheaper to use a 1 port unit connected to the router and take the 2 port unit to the room where I needed both ports. Any help would be much appreciated.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: rearranging PLP 2000 and adding PL1000

@Jammer0910 wrote:

Thanks for your speedy reply.

When I take the 2000 (2 port) from the router room, the remaining 2000 will not be connected to the internet. When I take the 2000 (2 port) to the computer room, then I must put the 1000 (1 port) in the router location and connect to the router. Do I need to do some sort of reset or will they auto configure? I’m kinda new at this. Thanks for your help.

In other words, you are moving the existing "host" plug from the router to a different location.

In that case, you will be using one of the new plugs as the host. You will then have to create a link between both of the 2-port plugs and the new plug on the router.

Set up the two new plugs and ensure that they are working. Then use the standard procedure to introduce the existing plugs to the new network. You may need to reset the PLP2000s. But first try the procedure described in the manual.

You can get the plugs to talk to one another over the mains network and then move them to a new socket. They will remember their settings.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@Jammer0910 wrote:

I need to move the one in router room with 2 ports to another room with 2 PC's and replace it with a PL1000 which only has one port. Any ideas how to do that?

Just do it. Move the two-port plug to where you want it and add the new plugs where you want them.

When adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

You need just the one plug connected to the router.

Remember, the network will operate at the speed of the slowest plugs. In this case the PL1000.

Message 2 of 4
Jammer0910
Aspirant

When I take the 2000 (2 port) from the router room, the remaining 2000 will not be connected to the internet. When I take the 2000 (2 port) to the computer room, then I must put the 1000 (1 port) in the router location and connect to the router. Do I need to do some sort of reset or will they auto configure? I’m kinda new at this. Thanks for your help.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 3 of 4

@Jammer0910 wrote:

In other words, you are moving the existing "host" plug from the router to a different location.

In that case, you will be using one of the new plugs as the host. You will then have to create a link between both of the 2-port plugs and the new plug on the router.

Set up the two new plugs and ensure that they are working. Then use the standard procedure to introduce the existing plugs to the new network. You may need to reset the PLP2000s. But first try the procedure described in the manual.

You can get the plugs to talk to one another over the mains network and then move them to a new socket. They will remember their settings.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7