× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xav5201v2 can't connect to r6400v2 since firmware update

Frankie123
Aspirant

xav5201v2 can't connect to r6400v2 since firmware update

Recently updated my firmware in my R6400v2 router. Ever since my xav5201v2 powerline adapters won't connect to the router. They see each other no but IP address is assigned. Router firmware is V1.0.4.106 updated about a month ago. Powerline adapters are in the same location as before the update. Initial update was a disaster. Took days and 1 or 2 manual updates to get the router working again. Router has a flashing amber led indicated for the plugged in powerline adapter nearest the router. All leds on the adapters are solid green. Have tried different cables and different ports without success. Also using Netgear Powerline app to check status. Looks like good communications between devices but no connection to the router. Shows no IP address.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Re: xav5201v2 can't connect to r6400v2 since firmware update

@Frankie123 wrote:

Ever since my xav5201v2 powerline adapters won't connect to the router. They see each other no but IP address is assigned.

Powerline adapters don't get an IP address. The connected devices do. So it maybe something that changed there during the firmware update that messed up their network access.

Unfortunately, "won't connect to the router" doesn't help much in diagnosing the problem. What are you doing and what happens? Messages? Prompts? Anything more detailed than "won't connect" might help.

@Frankie123 wrote:

Router has a flashing amber led indicated for the plugged in powerline adapter nearest the router. All leds on the adapters are solid green.

That looks as expected. So I'd go back to investigating the devices that you have plugged into the Powerline ports. If you can, see if these devices will work without using the Powerline link for the connection.

@Frankie123 wrote:

Also using Netgear Powerline app to check status. Looks like good communications between devices but no connection to the router. Shows no IP address.

That the plugs show a connection is good news, however, as explained above, the Powerline app will not show an IP address because it cannot show something that doesn't exist.

Message 2 of 4
Frankie123
Aspirant

My apologies. I discovered that the device I was trying to connect to the Powerline adapter was not set up correctly. Based on your suggestions I connected directly to the router and still had a problem. I realized it was the device and not the Powerline adapter. Everything is working properly now. Thanks for your help and insight.

Model: XAV5201v2|Powerline 500 Nano 1 Port Adapter
Message 3 of 4

@Frankie123 wrote:

I discovered that the device I was trying to connect to the Powerline adapter was not set up correctly.

That was my first thought.

Glad it worked out.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7