× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Re: AVB License for M4250-10G2XF

chapps76
Aspirant

AVB License for M4250-10G2XF

Hi - I have the above switch and need to buy an AVB license for it.

There is a lot of confusion (at least for me) caused by websites offering the AVB license for sale. Please can you help clear up some things for me?

1. There are 2 licenses listing compatibility for my switch - which do I need / what is the difference. These licenses are:

AVB4212UX-10000S

AVB4212PX-10000S

2. Some websites are stating that the licenses are an annual subscription - is that correct or are they perpetual? If it is a subscription I may as well return the switch now and buy a different brand.

3. If I buy the license from a USA reseller will it work on a switch purchased in the UK? I can buy the UX license for $299 USD in the USA but seems to be £499 (almost double) in the UK

thank you.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @chapps76 ,

The ordering SKU information for M4250 switches and their AVB licenses can be found starting page 62 of the M4250 datasheet. I hope this will help you.

Yes, AVB licenses are perpetual. When you install the AVB license into the switch, it will stick - even in case of factory reset the switch will keep it. When there is an AVB license in the switch, you can use the AV UI and edit the Default Profile VLAN 1 for instance - applying the AVB template to it. This way, all ports now can do AVB.

Yes, AVB licenses are worldwide electronic SKUs so it can be procured in any region. M4250 switches also are the same in any regions, only local power cords are placed in localized versions.

Usually, M4250 pricing is meant to be the same across all geos - so I am not sure about your research. Please make sure to procure NETGEAR AV Line switches and licenses at an approved NETGEAR reseller/partner. I wouldn't want to you to run into trouble? but anyway, we are here to support you. You can always reach out to us at ProAVDesign@netgear.com, by email.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
chapps76
Aspirant

p.s. sorry for the bold text - not sure how to change that!

Message 2 of 6
chapps76
Aspirant

Ok - so it seems I may have figured out the difference between the 2 licenses - the PX is for the POE+ and UX is for POE++

Just trying to get clarification on the other points now!

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@chapps76,

Welcome to the community! 🙂  

Yes, you are correct.  As a reminder, the AVB licenses are model specific so make sure that you purchase the AVB license that corresponds to the specific switch model.

As reference, kindly check the table below: 

M4250 AVB License SKU.jpg

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @chapps76 ,

The ordering SKU information for M4250 switches and their AVB licenses can be found starting page 62 of the M4250 datasheet. I hope this will help you.

Yes, AVB licenses are perpetual. When you install the AVB license into the switch, it will stick - even in case of factory reset the switch will keep it. When there is an AVB license in the switch, you can use the AV UI and edit the Default Profile VLAN 1 for instance - applying the AVB template to it. This way, all ports now can do AVB.

Yes, AVB licenses are worldwide electronic SKUs so it can be procured in any region. M4250 switches also are the same in any regions, only local power cords are placed in localized versions.

Usually, M4250 pricing is meant to be the same across all geos - so I am not sure about your research. Please make sure to procure NETGEAR AV Line switches and licenses at an approved NETGEAR reseller/partner. I wouldn't want to you to run into trouble? but anyway, we are here to support you. You can always reach out to us at ProAVDesign@netgear.com, by email.

Message 5 of 6
chapps76
Aspirant

Thanks guys - huge help

John.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements