× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

AVB profile (AVB license sold separately)

AW_GearNet
Guide

AVB profile (AVB license sold separately)

I already own a Netgear GS724Tv4 with license for AVB.

Can I use this license for the new M4250 serie too?

If not:

Is the license for all switches out of the serie M4250 the same?

Is the license valid per switch (HW unit)? Or per infrastructure? Or per user?

Is the license valid for lifetime? Or annually/limited time only? Are these licenses for professionals only? Or also for private users? Are there different licenses available for home users? Are there licenses for AVB when the switch is not used for commercial purposes (home use only)?

Please inform. Thanks.

Rgds

AW

Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AVB profile (AVB license sold separately)

@AW_GearNet,

I already own a Netgear GS724Tv4 with license for AVB.

Can I use this license for the new M4250 serie too?

No. It is NOT possible to use the AVB license for the GS724Tv4 to the M4250 series switch models and vice versa.

Is the license for all switches out of the serie M4250 the same?

Is the license valid per switch (HW unit)? Or per infrastructure? Or per user?

The AVB  license is NOT the same for all M4250 series switch models.  The AVB licenses are model specific which means the customer should purchase the appropriate AVB license for their M4250 specific switch model.

Is the license valid for lifetime? Or annually/limited time only? Are these licenses for professionals only? Or also for private users? Are there different licenses available for home users? Are there licenses for AVB when the switch is not used for commercial purposes (home use only)?

The AVB licenses for the M4250 series switch models are lifetime to the unit itself and not to the customer (either professional, private user, home user).  Also, there is no such category whether commercial or home purpose on the AVB license.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
AW_GearNet
Guide

Thanks yr infos.

Meanwhile I contacted my dealer to let me know retail prices for end users for AVB licenses. Got no reply till now.

I want to use my new switch for AVB. It's important to have an idea about total cost HW plus license. Total cost of ownership (TCO) is it called. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_cost_of_ownership

Please make this more easy to achieve/obtain.

There are a lot of results in Google that AVB licenses for M4250 serie are annually fees. This is shocking! Just for your info.

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AW_GearNet,

Thank you for your feedback.  Further information can be found on the link below:

M4250 AV Line Managed Switches Brochure 

If ever your concern has been addressed / resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
AW_GearNet
Guide

My dealer digitec.ch told me that the licenses for AVB are for one year only.

I replied to my Netgear dealer that you told here that the licenses are "lifetime per unit" and gave him also the link to this thread.

My dealer now checked this and insists that two different distributors confirm that the licenses for AVB are for one year only.

So, you should check this with your worldwide distribution and clarify this.

Please allow this recommendation.

Rgds

AW

Message 5 of 7
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

I can confirm this is only a one-time license fee (the M4250 AVB licenses are perpetual, so one license is equipping one switch for its entire lifetime). Please send an email to ProAVDesign@netgear.com as soon as you can with your details, and I'm going to take care of your situation with the local NETGEAR Sales and Distribution teams - we will update the distributors accordingly asap.

Many thanks,

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Grüezi,

@AW_GearNet wrote:

My dealer digitec.ch told me that the licenses for AVB are for one year only.

This isn't Digitec's mistake - they feed thier systems based on data feeds (more or less - the licenses for the new AV systems are not up on thier site...) they receive from Netgear and/or their distributors.

@AW_GearNet wrote:

My dealer now checked this and insists that two different distributors confirm that the licenses for AVB are for one year only.

The times where these big distis offered any added value services or even product specific know-how beyond of logistics are history - for decades. The data feed says "one year" so the disti will state it's one year. If the reseller and finally we customers are lucky, we get a Swiss power cord added by the distributor for the new switches (as NTGR does provide C13 cables with Schuko and UK prongs from the factory with the European -x00EUS SKU part number). 

@LaurentMa To make things even more confusing, these licenses are listed in the data feeds under the designation "NETGEAR Ethernet Audio/Video (EAV)" - while all the data sheets and documentation does talk of AVB all over. (e.g. AVB License SKU AVBxxxxx-10000S).

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR