× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Audio-over-Ip on NETGEAR m4300 Switch mDNS & SAP

joshduguid999
Aspirant

Audio-over-Ip on NETGEAR m4300 Switch mDNS & SAP

Looking for help, since apparently Netgear charges $100 just to talk to support for a switch I purchased less than 3 months ago.

Configuration is as follows:

m4300-96x switch stacked with two other m4300-28G switches. The m4300-96x is the stack master. Using most current firmware.

Issue is this: mDNS and SAP won't function for anything plugged into the 96x switch. Anything I plug into the other two switches in the stack functions perfectly. I've baffled every person i've talked to, every configuration item I can find is exactly the same on all ports in the switch stack, and since it IS a switch stack, the overall configuration for IGMP, snooping and queriers are identical.

mDNS and SAP are critical to my network design: audio and video over IP using Dante, AES67 and SDVoE. Can anyone think of ANY reason why these won't work on only one switch in the stack?

Any help, or experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh D.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
joshduguid999
Aspirant

Re: m4300 mDNS & SAP issues

Hey,

So what I had to do to get IGMP working properly was configure things under the IP(routing)/Multicast settings. Make sure the global configuration is on, the IGMP global configuration is on, and configure your VLAN under interface settings. That should get IP based IGMP working for you.

Under "switching/multicast" is only L2 IGMP, which might be why you're having issues with Dante.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Josh

Sorry about this issue. We are going to fix it.

After 90 days of phone support, you are entitled with lifetime chat technical support. But don't worry, our Tech Support team is coming to you using private message.

Yes, we fixed mDNS issue, entirely, years ago in our M4300 switches with IGMP - and our brand new M4300-96X shall be no exception. Stay tuned!

Regards,
Message 2 of 10
atian
Aspirant

Hi Josh, 

we tested it in lab and couldn't see your issue. could you post the techsupport file?

you can go to the GUI:  Maintanence-> Export-> HTTP file export, select techsupport file, and click the 'Apply' button.

Message 3 of 10
twinlakeschurch
Aspirant

We are also having problems with Dante Controller mDNS messages. Dante controller is nearly un-responsive when using the m4300, when I plug in an old unmanaged switch, it works flawlessly. We are also hearing poping and clicking in the dante audio stream on the m4300.

We are using two M4300 one as primary dante and one as secondary. FW ver 12.0.6.6. 

Message 4 of 10
joshduguid999
Aspirant

Can’t help with the mDNS, cause it’s not working yet. Popping and clicking sounds like a clocking issue, which is probably a QoS issue.
Message 5 of 10
twinlakeschurch
Aspirant

The only thing on these switches are a half dozen Dante devices ruinning a total of 10 chanels of audio. I have tried QoS both in the default configuration as well as Audante recomened settings.

I have spoken with Audante and they are convinced it is the switch. As soon as I use a non-smart 100Mb/s switch it all functions correctly. Long term I need to send this audio between buildings so the dumb switch is not a long term solution.

Any word on IGMPv3 support? I am also unable to get IGMPv2 to work successfully with Dante.

Thanks for the help!!!

Message 6 of 10
joshduguid999
Aspirant

The IGMP v2/3 thing I can definitely help you with. It took my a bit to figure it out myself.

Just as a check, the two switches (primary and secondary) are not connected in any way right? If they are, that will definitely cause issues.

I’ll post some screenshots/config Info on how I got IGMP sorted, though if all you are connecting is dante devices you should be able to disable IGMP entirely and not have any issues.
Message 7 of 10
twinlakeschurch
Aspirant

Yes the two switches are connected together, but they are using seperate VLANs 1155 for primary and 2155 for secondary dante audio. 155 is for my control network, Shure Axients, BSS BLU-806 control network, etc. I have many more devices to connect to these switches and will eventually need IGMP and to connect to the rest of my infastructure as I would like to distribute Dante audio campus wide. The switching infastructure is all netgear and has plenty of bandwidth.

I would love to hear about how you got IGMP working properly.

Message 8 of 10
joshduguid999
Aspirant

Hey,

So what I had to do to get IGMP working properly was configure things under the IP(routing)/Multicast settings. Make sure the global configuration is on, the IGMP global configuration is on, and configure your VLAN under interface settings. That should get IP based IGMP working for you.

Under "switching/multicast" is only L2 IGMP, which might be why you're having issues with Dante.

Message 9 of 10
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Hi! Based on this community post, we created this. Hopefully it helps you configure your NETGEAR switch with Dante devices.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060205/M4300-Configuration-Guide-for-Dante-Audio-Devices

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR