× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Re: Firmware update on M4250 10x10GE SFP+

goudeuk
Aspirant

Firmware update on M4250 10x10GE SFP+

Hello

I would like to update (using CLI) the firmware on my new M4250 AV switches but i'm struggling to find relative information in the manual. I did try doing it, using the GUI but it hangs at 98% so I started looking in the CLI manual for the relative commands.

However, I could not see anything about updating the firmware. Could someone, please, let me know how can I update the firmware on these switches using command line?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 5
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@goudeuk,

Welcome to the community!

Please type in show bootvar, it should show which image will be used for the next reboot. It is best practice to upgrade the one not being used for the next reboot.

You can use the copy command to transfer the firmware image to the switch via TFTP or USB. You may refer to page 211 of the user manual here.

Once you're done with the transfer, type in boot system to change the image to be used in the next reboot. Afterwards, reboot the switch by typing reload.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
goudeuk
Aspirant

Hello Jerald

Thank you for your message. Would there be any reason the copy would fail. This is what I did:

---------------------------------------

copy tftp://hostname/filepath/M4250L-16XF-v13.0.4.8.stk image2

Management access will be blocked for the duration of the transfer

Are you sure you want to start? (y/n) y

File transfer failed!

---------------------------------------

I can confirm the filepath is correct.

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @goudeuk,

May I know which TFTP server program are you using? Also, you can try using ping on the switch to check if it's reachable and make sure that port 69 isn't blocked.

If it still doesn't work, you can also try USB.

Lastly, just want to add that you need to specify which image you want to boot into when typing the boot system command (e.g. boot system image2).

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
goudeuk
Aspirant

Hello

I don't know what happened but, today, I tried to use the copy command again and it worked.🤔 I have no idea why the transfer was failing before. 

Jerald thank you for your help.

All the best.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR