× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Re: GS716T EAV license availability

kinobi
Aspirant

GS716T EAV license availability

In Australia most retailers of GS716TAV-20000S all say it is software for the GS724T400. 

If, by some amazing coincidence, they all have the same typo, and in fact what they are selling actually is a GS724TAV-20000S license:

Will GS724TAV-20000S license work on my GS716Tv3?

Most retailers only sell GS724TAV-20000S, why is the version for GS716Tv3 so hard to buy?

Model: GS716Tv3|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @kinobi,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As per the data sheet of the GS716Tv3/GS724Tv4/GS748Tv5 here, the product code of the EAV license for the GS716Tv3 is GS716TAV-20000S while the product code of the EAV license for the GS724Tv4 is GS724TAV-20000S.

Refer to the image below:

EAV License_GS716Tv3_GS724Tv4_GS748Tv5.jpg

You may want to send an inquiry to NETGEAR Sales here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
kinobi
Aspirant

My reply stating this is wrong has been censored

Message 3 of 11
kinobi
Aspirant

I will try to post again, it must have been the links

quote:

Thanks for replying but it still doesn't clarify if GS724TAV-20000S can be used for a GS716Tv3. If we can't interchange them then these Australian re-sellers have it all wrong! Notice how they associate GS716TAV-20000S as a license for the GS724T 400 or they associate the GS716Tv3 in their descriptive names and confuse the two.

pclan dot com

tech4u

itnest

megabuy

The only re-sellers that get it right are out of stock.

Please pass this on to your sales reps so that it can be rectified.

Regards

Message 4 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kinobi,

From the product code of the EAV licenses I posted, it is clear for what switch model it is intended to be compatible.  Therefore, the EAV license GS724TAV-20000S is not compatible to the GS716Tv3 (GS716T-300) and also the EAV license GS716TAV-20000S is not compatible with the GS724Tv4 (GS724T-400).

It will result to an error if you use the EAV license GS724TAV-20000S to the GS716Tv3 switch. 

About your concern about the EAV license for the GS716Tv3 being out of stock, it would be best that you send an inquiry to NETGEAR Sales here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
kinobi
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. You addressed one issue ie that the licenses are not cross compatible.

But you didn't address the other issue which is a big one:

ie the Australian retailers I listed above are apparaently trying to sell GS716TAV-20000S as cross compatible or there is a mistake being propogated by one of your sales reps, somehow the product title. code, description has it wrong on multiple sites. I noticed a few global re-sellers also making the same mistake. This is bad because there is no refund policy. It has to be rectified so we dont waiste our money/time.

I finally found an Australian reseller (at a higher price) that actually specifies it correctly and who has it in stock. I was concerned that the license is specific to territoy because all of the international re-sellers I tried didnt allow Australia at checkout.

cnncorp

edit PS: it turns out they dont have it in stock! they just didnt indicate avasilability correctly. This has been a very frustrating buyer experience. If I can get a refund I will buy from Netgear sales as you suggest. It is urgent for me and suppliers are saying it'll take weeks to come from Netgear.

Message 6 of 11
kinobi
Aspirant

I have just been told 3 weeks back order by the re-seller CNC mentioned above. They are willing to give me a refund so I can buy it from Netgear sales as you suggest, but will it take equally as long? and be more expensive?

I dont understand why a software license can be on back order and out of stock from so many retailers. What are the Netgear sales team doing to delay what is essentially a code that has to be redeamed/activated by your server anyway?

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@kinobi wrote:

I dont understand why a software license can be on back order and out of stock from so many retailers. What are the Netgear sales team doing to delay what is essentially a code that has to be redeamed/activated by your server anyway?

Unless there is a temporary processing problem, Netgear can generate licenses almost immediately. As these licenses are not stock items (there are no "license paks" as such to have on stock and ship when the customer does order) the hardware distribution organisation is not ideal. Netgear APAC or Australia sales should be able to provide licences for any distributor or reseller just in time. Yes, the migration from a pure hardware and box mover organisation to a software and service takes some time.

If you have no luck with the Netgear sales (should not be the customer job to reach out for them) we can try to establish the contact to the switch product management @bradleyv or @LaurentMa please.

Message 8 of 11
kinobi
Aspirant

Thanks I contacted the sales team 5hrs ago and havent heard from them yet. The Oz retailer has given me until tomorrow (18hrs away) to request a refund. It looks like I would be able to purchase a license direct from Netgear international almost imediately, would you agree?

It seams like the Australian distributor isn't handling this well. Many re-sellers are out of stock and on back order by at least 3 weeks of a product that, as you say, should be available almost instantly. In the music software industry, all the online shops have this down pat and automated.

I'll also take a wild guess at the Australian Distributor being the reason why most of the product descriptions, like the ones I linked to above, are wroing and misleading.

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Unlikely Netgear would sell direct - it's up to the retailer or distributor to trigger the ordering process and follow up tin time. Can't be that difficult.

With the loss or margin, the pressure of some unlucky teams (like Amazon<->Netgear) creating a market war for other organisations and business providing value added services, ... we have stopped selling hardware to customers years ago, as most want everything highly discounted, or prefer to buy from alternate sources. Well possible the same developments does kill the service level on Oz, too.

Message 10 of 11
kinobi
Aspirant

An update:

Netgear Australia has been absolutely appalling in this matter. I have just been told, having placed my order in mid October for a simple software license, that it will be another month!

What is this ridiculous excuse for service Netgear! It doesnt matter that they are the Australian distributor, this rubs off on Netgear as a whole. I will certainly be informing all my collegues in every forum and opportunity to NOT buy Netgear equipment.

As mentioned before I am a studio that needs this license urgently, I am not able to buy it from international sellers (prevented at checkout), the Australian resellers have been given bogus descriptions of the product and confusing models that are incompatible, none of them have it in stock anyway becuase of Netgear Australia. And now this!

For a company who toutes to be part of the SDVoE alliance and have a dedicated forum for AV, for an Australian studio to not be able to purchase the license to make their switch function the way it should in the studio without waiting 6 to 8 weeks is frankly embarassing.

Switch product management @bradleyv or @LaurentMa please do something!

Model: GS716Tv3|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR