× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Re: How to reserve an ip address using a devices mac address

arlon666
Aspirant

How to reserve an ip address using a devices mac address

How do I to reserve an ip address using a devices mac address on the M4250?

Model: GSM4210P|M4200-10MG-PoE+ - Multigigabit Managed Switch with 8x2.5G and 2x10G SFP+ Layer 2+
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@arlon666,

As far as I have checked the M4250 user manual here, there is no option to reserve an IP address using a device MAC address.

Reserving an IP address using a device MAC address is usually configured on a router. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
arlon666
Aspirant

Then why is it in the training videos for the M4250 as the recommend setup.  It says to create a VLAN for my NDI gear. Set the gear to DCHP and let the switch manage the IP Address. Then it says to create DHCP Pools to manage static IP's. But after that the documentaion is very unclear.

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@arlon666,

Yes, you can create IP DHCP pools but there is no option to reserve an IP address using a device MAC address.  You may want to check the M4250 user manual here

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DaneA ,

Of course it is possible to configure a DHCP server on a managed switch like M4250 with reserved MAC addresses and static IP addresses. It's called static pool and all M4250/M4300/M4500 will do it. Please come to me offline.

Hi @arlon666 ,

Welcome, and no worries - the ProAVDesign@netgear.com team can help you configure additional settings on your DHCP server for this NDI profile VLAN. We are going to use the IT GUI, go to the DHCP server and add static pools to it so that your cameras always get same IP address based on their MAC. Kindly come to us at ProAVDesign@netgear.com

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
arlon666
Aspirant

Thank you I sent an email to you

Message 6 of 8
fleggett
Aspirant

Hi,

Is there anymore information on how to do this.

I have a M4250-10G2XF-POE and I use this device as a DHCP server for NDI and Dante Devices connected to it. I don't like to set static addresses in the devices because I sometimes use the devices with other switches and routers and it is complicated to reset the IP addresses to match other DHCP servers and subnets.

Is there a way for the m4250 to set a static ip address for my dante and NDI devices so I will always no the IP addresses of the devices to get to their own web UI.

I used to have a router in line before which issued the DHCP and subnet but I now use the netgear to do DHCP.

Many thanks

Frank

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes there is a way to do this. What it boils down to is to create a seperate DHCP pool for each device you want to have a DHCP reservation for and then set the "Type of Binding" field to "Manual". I'll attach a screenshot of one of mine, I will also attach a copy of a document that I got from Netgear on the subject which gives you the CLI commands which is handy if you have a lot of devices to do. I hope this sorts you, and anyone else who is looking for this information, out. Cheers.

DHCP Res.png

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR