× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

M4300-96x plug&play AV devices-Vlan

adeeb_taqui
Aspirant

M4300-96x plug&play AV devices-Vlan

I would like to know , what do you mean by M4300 being plug and play - preconfigured with SDVoe?

Does it mean , that a newly installed M4300-96x just installed and powered on without being logged in(or initial setup/config done) will provide network switching to all AV devices like Christie Terra tx/Rx etc  that i connect to the switch ports?

Will IP addresses from default vlan1(169.254.0.0/16) get dynamically assigned to new AV devices?

Is there any extra configuration to be done by user for vlan , switching etc

How to change ip address range from 169.254.0.0/16 to another range? By Changing management interface configuration? 

How to change dynamic assignment of ip address to av devices from vlan1 to static ip address assignment?

Model: XSM4396K1 | M4300-96XModular Managed Switch
Message 1 of 2
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M4300-96x plug&play AV devices-Vlan

Hi @adeeb_taqui 

I am not sure why are you starting a new thread here, when you asked many similar questions in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Pro-AV-over-IP-Switches/M4300-configuration-as-AV-network-access-s...?

Nevertheless, let me try to help you:

<<I would like to know, what do you mean by M4300 being plug and play - preconfigured with SDVoE?>>

Please refer to www.netgear.com/sdvoe: the M4300 switches are the only switches certified SDVoE-Ready. Installers opting to use the M4300's in their installation will find that it is already preconfigured out of the box for true AV and Multicast Zero Touch network configuration. That means it's possible to simply select the combination of copper, PoE+ and fiber ports that fit requirements, connect SDVoE encoders and decoders, and power on the switch. It just works! SDVoE systems with symmetric input-output configurations and supported such as 48x48, but asymmetric solutions such as 24x72 are just as easily accommodated. To be more precise, M4300 switches come with optimized IGMP configuration (Snooping, Querier, Fast Leave etc.) on their default VLAN 1.

<<Does it mean, that a newly installed M4300-96x just installed and powered on without being logged in (or initial setup/config done) will provide network switching to all AV devices like Christie Terra Tx/Rx etc. that I connect to the switch ports?>>

Yes, it means that, exactly. Plug, and play.

<<Will the IP addresses from the default VLAN 1 (169.254.0.0/16) get dynamically assigned to new AV devices?>>

Duplicate question from your thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Pro-AV-over-IP-Switches/M4300-configuration-as-AV-network-access-sw.... No, there is no DHCP server enabled on VLAN 1, you can set up one if you want to dynamically assign IP addresses to devices in VLAN 1. Please note there is no such thing as 169.254.0.0/16. VLAN 1 default (self-configured) IP address. It is there when there's no DHCP server somewhere else in the network. If no DHCP server on the network, It is meant to be replaced by a proper Management IP address from a valid 10.0.0.0/24, or 172.16.0.0/20, or 192.168.0.0/16 scheme (A/B/C). For SDVoE encoders and decoders, it is not mandatory to assign IP addresses, statically or dynamically at Layer 3. They can operate at Layer 2 only, this is how it's done by the way in the "Plug and Play" use case above. They just use their default addressing, too.

<<Is there any extra configuration to be done by the user for VLAN, switching etc.?>>

As I said in your first thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Pro-AV-over-IP-Switches/M4300-configuration-as-AV-network-access-sw...: I would suggest you procure a NETGEAR ProSUPPORT Installation Contract when you are procuring the M4300 switches? The Remote Installation Setup and Configuration Service Contract is very cost-effective, only a fraction of the price of the M4300 switches. The ordering SKU is PSB0304-10000S, this is an electronic SKU. With this contract, you could plan for your installation and schedule a 2-hour call with a NETGEAR Level 3 Tech Support Engineer on the Installation day. This way, you make sure all your other VLAN settings and DHCP / Dynamic IP settings are correct when you are connecting the M4300 switches to your client's core switch.

<<How to change the IP address range from 169.254.0.0/16 to another range? Changing management interface configuration?>>I

Yes, as explained in your first thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Pro-AV-over-IP-Switches/M4300-configuration-as-AV-network-access-sw...

<<How to change the dynamic assignment of IP addresses to AV devices from VLAN 1 to static IP address assignment?>>

There is no default so-called dynamic assignment of IP addresses (DHCP Server) so without configuration, your AV devices will use their default auto-configure IP scheme. You are free to assign Static IP addresses to them, independently from the switch.

Thanks,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR