× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Re: M4300 stack doesn’t survive hotplug after 12.0.11.10 firmware update

KMC1
Tutor

M4300 stack doesn’t survive hotplug after 12.0.11.10 firmware update

Hi folks 

I hope everyone is well. We took the opportunity of some downtime to update the firmware on our stack of 5 M4300 1G switches to the latest firmware to take advantage of all the IGMP enhancements like IGMP PLUS, hoping to get rid of some static routes we had to make. We were previously on 12.0.7.17 and updated to the newest firmware 12.0.11.10. We're running the switches in a broadcast radio truck with a mix of Dante, AES67, NDI and general traffic on VLANS. 

Our set up consists of 2 x 52 port switches that are located in a truck, with 3 x 24 port switches in mobile racks. We require these mobile racks to be hot pluggable in any configuration, and that was working absolutely fine in the previous firmware. Now when we plug an external rack in, the web interface for the switch goes down, and all traffic appears to drop. When the stack eventually comes back it looks like the uptime for the stack master hasn't dropped, but the second 52 port switch has reset with the rest of the stack. 

Is there anything we need to be aware of thats changed in the firmware, or have you added a feature that we would need to enable given we've jumped several firmware versions? 

Any help greatly appreciated! 

K

Model: GSM4328S|M4300-28G - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3, GSM4352PA|M4300-52G-PoE+ - 48x1G PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch with 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ (550W PSU)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
NeilS
NETGEAR Expert

Hi K...

Many thanks for your message, and apologies for the issue experienced.

I assume all stacked switches have been updated to 12.0.11.10?

To assist with the issue, can you navigate to the Maintenance tab and upload the Tech Support (TS file) and please send over?

This will help us understand the issue.

The steps are located at:

https://kb.netgear.com/31439/How-do-I-send-diagnostic-files-from-my-Managed-Switch-to-NETGEAR-commun...

Just to confirm the stacking configuration, please see:

https://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/M4300_Series_How_to_stack_NETGEAR.pdf

Best regards,

NeilS

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@LaurentMa please - thank you!

Message 2 of 5
NeilS
NETGEAR Expert

Hi K...

Many thanks for your message, and apologies for the issue experienced.

I assume all stacked switches have been updated to 12.0.11.10?

To assist with the issue, can you navigate to the Maintenance tab and upload the Tech Support (TS file) and please send over?

This will help us understand the issue.

The steps are located at:

https://kb.netgear.com/31439/How-do-I-send-diagnostic-files-from-my-Managed-Switch-to-NETGEAR-commun...

Just to confirm the stacking configuration, please see:

https://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/M4300_Series_How_to_stack_NETGEAR.pdf

Best regards,

NeilS

Message 3 of 5
KMC1
Tutor

Hi folks 

I sent my logs in a number of weeks ago but still haven't heard anything. In the meantime would someone from Netgear be able to confirm whether or not stacks should still be hot pluggable in 12.0.11.10? 

To reiterate - we updated and the stack breaks on a hot plug every time in the new firmware, and works every time on 12.0.7.17. 

Many thanks,

Kris

Message 4 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Kris

Sorry about that issue. Something must be wrong here as I can confirm that M4300 absolutely should sustain hot swap, instant fail over (non-stop forwarding) with latest firmware as confirmed by our QA before release. I can confirm that I don't see any issue in my lab.

One possible issue could be the fiber PHYs drivers that changed for better interop, and maybe there's an interop issue in your case. Your logs and tech - support file should clearly tell that to us. You're saying you have sent the files, I need to find your case in our systems. I will do so asap, please send PM to me with your contact details so that I can escalate and drive your case to the most rapid resolution.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR