× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

New NDI & Dante network - Checking for flaws in plans

OliverN
Follower

New NDI & Dante network - Checking for flaws in plans

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace some switches and create a new network with the M4250 line of switches which seem highly regarded in AV circles and I'd really like to get a relatively plug and play solution going. I've got a couple of questions if anyone with experience could confirm or deny it would be super helpful.

Quick overview, this is for a mobile conference kit for a large company. We actually already have it and it's working but I want to redo how the network was done. From separate NDI and Dante switches and multiple cables from a central switch to TV/Camera/Sound trolleys, to one central switch with both NDI and Dante with 1 10g connection to each trolley.

My plan was:

Central switch: GSM4248UX - 40x1G PoE++ 2,880W and 8xSFP+ Managed Switch

Linked via 10g SFP+ cat6a cabling up to 50m in length, to 4 of the GSM4212UX - 8x1G Ultra90 PoE++ 802.3bt 720W 2x1G and 2xSFP+ Managed Switch

Each of the smaller switches would have a mix of NDI devices (Birddog camera and HDMI converter to show content on a TV) and Dante devices (Microphone, speakers).

In addition the main GSM4248UX switch would locally have several more computers connected with a mix of 1g ports and several 10g SFP+ connections.

• Has anyone done something similar and had good results? I'm hoping with the connections between switches at 10g there would be no where close to the bandwidth going back and forth but I need a stable as possible system and this is the first time I've mixed Dante and NDI on the same hardware.
  • I would make use of vLans to separate the NDI and Dante traffic but I would have certain devices (Computers) that I would want to access both, can I assign certain ports both NDI and Dante vLans without issues? Or would those machines need 2 network connections, one for each network?
  • Everything in the design would be static IP but there would be some ad hoc devices added here and there. What would be the best router to add to this?
  • And wifi AP, any recommendations on what to use? We wouldn't do anything intensive over wifi so I had even thought a more consumer router/wifi device would do the job here but if there's a professional solution from Netgear that first the M24500 line up I'd prefer to do it properly!

Appreciate

any experiences and advice you might have to offer!

Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New NDI & Dante network - Checking for flaws in plans

@OliverN,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Kindly access the link below and use it as your guide:

Switch Configuration Video Tips For NDI and other AVoIP Platforms M4250

For further assistance, I encourage you to contact ProAVDesign@netgear.com at anytime.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR