× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Re: POE++ Injector with M4250

mediazone
Aspirant

POE++ Injector with M4250

Hello, I have a M4250 with POE+

3 of my cameras need POE++, is it possible to use a POE++ injector with my M4250 and still pass thru NDI Video?

I know there are POE++ switches available, but we had budget for the 24 port GSM4230P and so trying to work around that. Thank you

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Yes, of course. This is the advantage of industry standard PoE (vs. proprietary passive PoE). The M4250 won't provide power if there is no compliant PD (powered device) - so there is no added risk people are often concerned. The plain Gigabit Ethernet connection will be retained "through" the power injector. What you are loosing is the network-side control of the power on these ports.

Message 2 of 4
mediazone
Aspirant

Thank you, so if Im understanding correctly, a PTZ camera will lose the control functions?
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No, of course not. The PTZ controls are almost certainly embedded in the Gigabit Ethernet data stream.

What you can't do is eg. triggering a power reboot in case your device will hang one day,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR