× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Required all Multicasts on one port

mshahnawaz
Aspirant

Required all Multicasts on one port

Hello Experts,

Can someone please suggest the best way for my situation mentioned below?

I am using  M4300-28G running version 12.0.11.11.

I have IGMP snooping and IGMP Querier working fine as I expect on this switch. My situation is I want to keep IGMP snooping enabled for all the ports from port 1-24 but on one of the port (port 25) I want all the multicasts present all the time and this port is connected to other switch which is also M4300 but on other side it's setup as a source port.

How can I have all multicasts on one particular port (port 25) whereas on other ports we can keep IGMP snooping enabled?

Please advise as I am in urgent situation and need a solution ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Muhammad

Model: GSM4328S|M4300-28G - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 3
mshahnawaz
Aspirant

Re: Required all Multicasts on one port

I have already tried setting IGMP on interfaces manually but seems like IGMP Snooping on interfaces isn't doing anything and only IGMP global settings are taking effect. Regardless of what I do on interfaces it doesn't change anything.

Please advise.

Regards,

Muhammad

Message 2 of 3
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Required all Multicasts on one port

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for your message. I can feel the emergency here, please contact the ProAVDesign@netgear.com team by email for rapid assistance, it will be faster and more practical than the Community forum.

On your two M4300 switches, please upgrade to the latest in first place: 12.0.11.15

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4300.aspx#download

Please make sure the new 12.0.11.15 is loaded to Image-1 or Image-2 which the next boot image; if you're not sure please load 12.0.11.15 into both Image-1 and Image-2.

Default configuration comes with IGMP Plus configured globally, at the VLAN level (VLAN 1).

You DON'T want to use port based IGMP configuration when there is VLAN-based IGMP configuration already. This is going to conflict. It is better to stick with the VLAN config. If you want to configure IGMP at the port level, then we must first remove any configuration at the VLAN level.

IGMP isn't meant to flood all Multicast to one specific port. I don't think you mean that for port 25. I believe you need the Mrouter mode enabled on port 25 (10G port) in order to let the multicast traffic go between switch 1 and switch 2.

With the default configuration and latest 12.0.11.15, this is the expected and intended behavior out of the box. Any port connected to another IGMP Plus-enabed switch will have an automatic mRouter mode that will let the multicast traffic go when there as receivers subscribing to it on the other side.

So please upgrade to the latest 12.0.11.15 both switches, and please FACTORY-DEFAULT both switches going to Maintenance/Reset.

I trust this will work just fine out of the box this way, with the interconnect on port 25.

Again, please contact ProAVDesign@netgear.com by email, we will assist you the best we can right away.

I hope this helps

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR