× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Stack or Trunk S3300 switches for AV network

A-TownMatt
Follower

Stack or Trunk S3300 switches for AV network

I am designing the network infrastructure for a production facility who will be transporting audio via Dante, video via NDI, communication over IP (Clear-Com) and control system traffic over multiple VLANs on the network.  The facility has 6 locations for switches which we plan on outfitting with either an S3300-28X-PoE+ or S3300-52X-PoE+.  One room will be dedicated to video editing and will have a dual 10G NAS and dual 10G editing system.  There is also an audio editing room with 10G connected editing system.  Everything else will be 1G or 100Mb devices.  Each switch will have devices on all VLANs.  Most traffic will stay within each VLAN with some exceptions.  The goal is to provide high bandwidth for audio and video paths with the fewest hops for the lowest latency possible.

My first plan was to use a 10G SFP+/Copper switch as a central connection for 10G trunks from each switch.  The video editing room would have an MS510TX in addition to the S3300 which would connect the NAS and editing system.

The other idea is to use the stacking capability to stack the 6 S3300 switches using multi-mode fiber.  The video editing room's MS510TX would connect using the copper 10G ports.

It seems the stacking option would make configuration and management much easier, but I'm not familiar with the details of how it works to know if it will be the most efficient for latency and bandwidth.

Model: S3300-28X-PoE+ (GS728TXP)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches with PoE+, S3300-52X-PoE+ (GS752TXP)|ProSAFE 48-port Stackable Smart Switches with PoE+
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Stack or Trunk S3300 switches for AV network

Hi A-TownMatt,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Stacking has better latency than setting up a trunk. It is working logically as a single switch even though you have multiple switches inside your network. Unlike setting up a trunk, it will still hop into another switch before it goes to another.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
BretD
Admin

Re: Stack or Trunk S3300 switches for AV network

Hi there,

I floated this question up to the AV-over-IP team. There are some concerns about the S3300's in this deployment. S3300's are smart-managed switches and don't offer necessary Audio over IP protocols support like mDNS and other IGMP interop issues. You should definitely consider the fully managed M4300 series for your deployment instead.

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/managed/m4300.aspx

Let us know if you have more questions!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR