Occasional Contributor

5Ghz connection dropping

I have been using the R6300 since end of January 2013. So far I am not able to make use of the 5Ghz connection. The maximum time I can be connected is between 5 – 25 minutes. After that I lose the connection. I am able to then connect to the 2.4 Ghz and the 5Ghz is not shown at all. After a while the 5 Ghz is back and I can connect again but for the same period of time. I have this issue on the Laptop, iPhone (4 and 5) and iPad. So far Netgear has not been able to get this resolved. Does anyone encounter the same problem and have a possible solution? I am about to return the product and request a refund.
Initial Contributor

Re: 5Ghz connection dropping

Similar problem with my r6300, which I first set up in early March, pretty sure both bands are dropping: definitely drops the 5Ghz (iPad3, which asks which band to use in Settings) every 5 minutes or so, and also drops the TV(Netflix-Amazon) every few minutes (TV connects via Panasonic wifi dongle, likely 2.4Ghz since it's a few years old). Seems like this has gotten worse and worse with time, though happened at least somewhat since I set it up. Have tried moving the unit around, but the iPad drops even when it's right next to the router, then a minute or so later, it's back up - even while the router says it's always up ( "Show Statistics" shows no donw time, even when nothing is coming to any of the wireless computers). And the modem works fine when directly connected to the computer.
For a "Best of the Best" router, this has been a real loser.
Let me know if you get an answer, eh?
Occasional Contributor

Ha email contact and telephone contact with Netgear today. According to Netgear they do not know of similar problems.
Netgear is looking into this and may want to sent a new Router.
Initial Contributor

Reset to factory settings has fixed thsi very frustratign problem, for one day now - with a couple of Netflix, Amazon movies , as well as lots of internet - any and all of which were kicking me off every 5-10 minutes, so, a day of no interruptions is a major change. Will update when more time passes.
Occasional Contributor

Great service from Netgear. They supplied me with a brand new R6300. Unfortunately I still have the same problem where the 5Ghz connections is dropping. Will contact Netgear support tomorrow.
Newcomer

State what firmware you are using LPD.
Occasional Contributor

Firmware version V1.0.2.68

Might I just point out that due to the limitations of the physical world in which we live, 5GHz transmissions are subject to real world phenomena such as attenuation, which can often make it quite unreliable.

What's the distance between the router and the affected devices, and perhaps equally important - what's in between - wooden walls, concrete walls, no walls at all?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Occasional Contributor

Hi fordem

Maximum 5 meters from the router, with 1 wooden door.
I am sure that is not an issue

I tell you what - move the ipad into the next room and see if the problem continues.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Discussion Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Top Contributors