Aspirant

AirPrint - Another "Missing" Feature??

So AirPrint was prominently promoted as part of the R6300 as well. Is this another case of vaporware a la Guest Network? I can't seem to find any mention of it in the configuration, installation guide, or online help search. The press release clearly calls it out though...

"AirPrint TM Support: The NETGEAR Genie app enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an iPad or iPhone."

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2012/09262010.aspx

Of course they also clearly called out Guest Network and we've already seen that was untrue. Anyone know where this is or is this now the second feature I'm simply out of luck on? (or is that third since they've also artificially capped the range out of the box too?)
Aspirant

Re: AirPrint - Another "Missing" Feature??

To activate AirPrint I think you need to do so through the Netgear Genie software, which must be downloaded and installed on one of the network computers.

There is an AirPrint section in the leftmost column. I was able to get AirPrint to work from an iOS device to two of three Ethernet-connected network printers. The printer that didn't work was an Epson WorkForce 600 even though it showed up in the Netgear Genie software and was visible on the iOS device. There was no error message—it just didn't print.

A call to Netgear tech support was cut short by a dropped call.
Aspirant

It's good to know that there isn't consistency across the genie products either (I had already tried iphone and ipad genie). I've now downloaded and installed genie for Windows. It does in fact have an AirPrint section in which I checked the checkbox next to the networked printer I wanted. Still no success though as I've gone into two iOS devices and the printer does not appear to either.

Did you have to do anything other than check the checkbox for the printer?
Apprentice

jaweston wrote:
To activate AirPrint I think you need to do so through the Netgear Genie software, which must be downloaded and installed on one of the network computers...

This is the only place I have found it to be available on the WNDR3800 as well. I don't know how well it will work as I don't have a suitable Apple device.
Aspirant

I used the Network Genie software on a Mac running Lion. I don't recall doing anything other than checking the printers I wanted.

One of my printers natively supports AirPrint, so I unchecked its box to prevent it from showing up twice in the iOS devices.

Did you try printing to more than one printer? The question in my mind is how many printers and which ones won't work. I hate to recommend this AirPrint support function not knowing whether it will work with particular printers.
Aspirant

In my case I'm attempting with an HP P2015dn networked directly to the R6300. I can try Genie from OSX Lion later tonight just to rule out one more variable. I have another printer I can AirPrint with but it has native support for AirPrint so that really doesn't tell me much. Beyond that I'm out of printers to attempt with.
Aspirant

tried with Mac Genie now as well, still no dice. I can see my printer with native AirPrint support but not the HP printer I mentioned previously. Thoughts?
Aspirant

Apple's AirPrint function requires AirPrint-enabled printer to work. Rrouters just sit transparently between iOS devices and AirPrint-enabled printers.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

HP P2015dn and Epson WorkForce 600 don't support Apple AirPrint.
Aspirant

Ephone wrote:
Apple's AirPrint function requires AirPrint-enabled printer to work. Rrouters just sit transparently between iOS devices and AirPrint-enabled printers.

Yet NetGear claims to support it on everything through the magic of r6300...

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2012/09262010.aspx
Aspirant

Ephone wrote:

I have an Epson WorkForce 600 and an HP Color LaserJet 2550n on the same local network, and I can print to them directly from iOS devices thanks to the Netgear Genie software.
Aspirant

Upgraded to the latest firmware again today and I am still unable to hit my printer via AirPrint.

Any further ideas?
Aspirant

Have you set up the HP printer to print from the computer that houses the Netgear Genie application and tested it?
Aspirant

Yes, I can print to the printer from the computer hosting Genie.
Aspirant

Have you tried using the Netgear Genie software on a different network computer and turning it off on the computer currently hosting it?
Aspirant

no, although this line of questioning is a bit concerning to me as this functionality is advertised to work on "networked" printers such as the one I'm attempting to connect. If this is reliant on the genie software of a specific computer (as this line of questioning seems to imply) does that mean that even if I get this to work that my networked printer will cease to be available the moment I power down the genie host? Is this not a function of the router?
Aspirant

This isn't an inquisition. What you see as a line of questioning I see as suggestions to help solve your problem.

Although a qualified Netgear router seems to be required to set up AirPrint functionality in the Netgear Genie software, the desired functionality is not handled by the router.

After setting up the Netgear AirPrint software using a Netgear R6300 router a week ago, i reverted back to my Apple AirPort Extreme router, and the Netgear AirPrint functionality still works albeit only when the Genie software is running on a computer.

If you're not comfortable running the Genie software on a networked computer to provide AirPrint functionality to iOS devices, you can buy a printer with native AirPrint support for less than $100.
Aspirant

Tone in postings is hard to read. I was not feeling as if you were pushing me with questions. My concern was in my inference that this appears to be software dependent functionality rather than router firmware. It appears my inference may have been correct and thus my concern well placed.

Cost of additional printers is not a problem, in fact I already have another HP printer that natively supports AirPrint. I do have a problem when a company advertises functionality but doesn't deliver though. My point is that I should not have to purchase another printer, no matter how negligable the cost, as my router is purported to have that functionality itself.

It seems this will require a call to NetGear customer support to achieve final resolution. Thanks for the pointers, I'll report back with my findings.
Aspirant

IAmMe,

Were you connecting your printer to the router via USB or Ethernet/Wireless?

To make AirPrint work between the router and your iOS devices, you need to install not only 'desktop (PC/MAC version) Genie' on your computer within the network, but also 'NETGEAR USB Control Center utility'. The utility can be downloaded from http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx page ReadySHARE Printer section.

I had it work with my Mac Pro and USB printer (not native Apple AirPrint printer). The steps I took:

1. Connected the printer to my Mac Pro via USB and made sure the printer can print directly from laptop (of course).
2. Connected my Mac Pro and iPhone4 to R6300 via wireless 2.4G.
3. Installed Mac version of Genie on the Mac Pro. After that I could see my printer appeared on AirPrint page of the Genie. Selected my printer by checking the checkbox next to it.
4. Picked up my iPhone4 and tried to print in Safari. I could see my printer (which was attached to Mac Pro at this time) in the printer selection on iPhone4. And I could print to the printer.
5. Unplugged the printer from my Mac Pro and plugged it into the USB port of R6300. Installed "NETGEAR USB Control Center utility" on Mac Pro. Similarly, I could see my printer appeared on the utility and selected it.
6. The I were able to print from iPhone4 with the printer attached to R6300.

Note that both desktop Genie and the utility have to stay active to use the AirPort feature.
Aspirant

Thought I'd cracked this.
I have it all setup and it works fine if I am running Netgear Genie and USB control centre on my MacBook Pro connected to the network.
BUT if I turn that off and have Netgear Genie and USB control centre running on my Windows Server 2003 my iPad can't see the printer.
Everything looks the same as it does when it's running on the MBP but it doesn't work.
(server has Adobe Reader and ITunes installed as required)
I expect no one else is attempting to do this but to my mind it makes perfect sense, a server is always on and running on the network so it would be the most logical way to ensure that this AirPrint service runs continually.
Any ideas as to what the block might be?
Aspirant

I still have this problem. I've searched the net and still cannot find a solution. My airprint worked perfectly before IOS6. I've turned everything off, rebooted and still nothing. I've downloaded the update, I am running the following:

Firmware version V1.0.0.22
Model: WNDR3700.V3

Going into my netgear genie it "sees" my printers, and I click which ones I want to access, but my ipads and iphones cannot find them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Aspirant

I have a Brother j615w wich is not AirPrint compatible and I have no problem printing to it with my iPad-4 on ios6.0.1 via Genie AirPrint option.
The only problem is something it does not print and I have to uncheck AirPrint, restart genie and check AirPrint again and I'm ok for a day or two...

Before that I had Fingerprint-2 that make any printer AirPrint compatible for 20$. You can try it for free for 6 days before buying. Just search Fingerprint on Google.
Discussion Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation