Aspirant

D6300 firmware upgrade errors

I can't upgrade my D6300 firmware. When you login it says a new version exists. I click on the link, I get:

Firmware Upgrade Assistant

A new version has been found. Do You want to upgrade to the new version now?
Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.0.20_2.1.17.5
New GUI Language Version: 1.0.0.70_3.1.2.5
Current Firmware Version 1.0.0.42
New Firmware Version 1.0.0.72_1.0.72
Release Notes:
1. Update to version 1.0.0.72

------------------------------------------------------------------

Downloading and updating the language table

------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown Error: 111

This screen will automatically return to the previous screen in a few seconds...

If I download the latest firmware and manually try to upload it, It tries, then gets a connection reset. If I try to upload the same version it already has, it says it's the wrong firmware. In the past, I have only ever used the automatic built-in update function.
Luminary

Re: D6300 firmware upgrade errors

And are you wired to the router when upgrading the firmware, or wireless?

Also, what's the reason for upgrading? I've got the same router on V1.0.0.42_1.0.42 and it's stable. Smiley Happy
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Aspirant

wired. Just hoping for some improved 2.4ghz performance
Luminary

hard reset the router first then try again with the firmware
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue. I tried the hard reset which didn't work I also downloaded the zip file and tried that way again this failed
Tutor

Revert to factory settings from within the router's GUI and try again. BTW, did you unpack the downloaded ZIP archive?
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Aspirant

I did "Revert to Factory Settings".... But the thing that seemed to work for me was to download the xxx.72 Firmware from their site - unzip it with 7Zip - and update the router manually from the "Administration"; "Router Update" Tab. Meh! It only cost me a weeks wages - one year ago.... So I can understand why they can't be bothered to properly write 25 megs of Firmware. Smiley Happy
Luminary

It's more trustworthy if you manually uploads then rely on automtic download from the router GUI
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

lugworm,

I will try this again - I have tried both methods both failed
Tutor

I suggest reading step four of the 'Check and Change' guide, located here. The guide will provide one way to properly change firmware, even if it's the same version. While written for a different model the instructions should be interchangeable. If applicable, it is recommended that all USB devices are safely removed from the router before beginning. Always use a wired connection to perform the firmware change. Only use saved configuration files when there are no issues and only with the same firmware version to avoid contamination.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Aspirant

Interesting, I've been reading these posts for over a year now, since I bought this router. I have not upgraded this router once yet. My version is: V1.0.2.38_1.0.33 I have seen very little problems with this code. I will admit tho, that I don't use the wireless part of my router, I have everything hard wired to all my devices. Not really sure if I want to try one of the upgrades or not. Smile.
Luminary

Mike9874 wrote:
Not really sure if I want to try one of the upgrades or not. Smile.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :cool:
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Aspirant

Devor,

Think is I have done all of this naturally looking through it, I firmware upgrade far more complex devices than this router for a living (I am a 3rd line IT Engineer) - neither method works either trying to update fully through the update button or downloading the firmware and manually uploading, I have reset my router to default settings twice just to make sure.

I can only conclude there is a fault with the firmware software with some of these devices - hopefully netgear will address this
Tutor

Have you tried the TFTP method? See here.
_____
Aspirant

haven't tried that I guess all netgears have this function?
Aspirant

Hello, I'm having the very same problem with my D6300 with firmware version V1.0.0.42_1.0.42.

I tried upgrading directly from the router's web interface, and at first it detects the new firmware version being available, but then it gives the infamous "error 111" after trying to update the language:

Downloading and updating the language table, please wait for approximate one minute…

I tried to update manually but it didnt't work either (the connection gets reset a few seconds into the uploading phase).

I have been reading the links provided, but they are for different routers. Do they work with the D6300 too?

I'm considering sending the device back in warranty.
Aspirant

New device, exactly the same issue :mad:
Aspirant

nerfologist wrote:
New device, exactly the same issue :mad:

Me too. can't update, can't be bothered anymore.
Aspirant

I hate being one of those people that do the "same here" post, but yeah I've experienced the same trying to go from 1.0.0.42 to 1.0.0.72.. not that excited about upgrading so I haven't tried the tftp or whatever method.

The more concerning thing for me is that Netgear manage to release these updates without testing upgrade methods? It's not like any of us are doing anything special! You shouldn't have to tftp or any of those methods to do a firmware upgrade in this day and age.
Aspirant

great so my big investment last year for networking will not update - thank you netgear - I doubt I will buy a netgear ever again
Aspirant

Seriously Netgear, what are we supposed to do to upgrade our D6300s? Wait for the next firmware iteration? Will it even work then?

I got 2 of these routers, both from Amazon, and both of them won't upgrade. I'm very disappointed. Please look into the matter.
Aspirant

Devor wrote:
Have you tried the TFTP method? See here.

Finally got around to trying this on the router when no one else is around!

It failed to help I tried it twice to confirm this - just to warn everyone - the hassle for this and the fact it doesn't work.

how do I raise a call with Netgear about this issue?
Aspirant

Hi all, I have raised a case request with netgear - I will continue to post in here - and if there is a fix I will post in here

Cheers all
Aspirant

like I promised - this worked - very odd - I wonder if the original zip file was corrupted - I followed this to the letter which was pretty much what I had done in the past

4/18/2014 8:34:00 AM

I cant upgrade my D6300 firmware. When you login it says a new version exists. I click on the link, I get: Firmware Upgrade Assistant A new version has been found. Do You want to upgrade to the new version now? Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.0.20_2.1.17.5 New GUI Language Version: 1.0.0.70_3.1.2.5 Current Firmware Version 1.0.0.42 New Firmware Version 1.0.0.72_1.0.72 Release Notes: 1. Update to version 1.0.0.72 ------------------------------------------------------------------ Downloading and updating the language table ------------------------------------------------------------------ Unknown Error: 111 This screen will automatically return to the previous screen in a few seconds... If I download the latest firmware and manually try to upload it, It tries, then gets a connection reset. If I try to upload the same version it already has, it says its the wrong firmware. more details here http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=90491

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

I will do my best to answer your support questions with the least amount of email exchanges, the more information and detail you can provide will help us to expedite your case to resolution.

Please be informed that the device has 90 days of Support Warranty and 730 days of hardware warranty.

I have reviewed your case and I understand that you cannot update the firmware of your router.

Based on the information that you have provided, I would suggest the following troubleshooting steps listed below:

Note: Do not update the firmware wirelessly.

Back-up the settings:
1.Open a browser and type in the following URL: http://www.routerlogin.com or http://192.168.0.1
2.Type the User Name as “admin” and the Password as “password” and click OK.
3.Go to the Advanced Tab
4.Click on Administration on the left side.
5.Click on Backup Setting, the browser will extract the configuration file from the router.
6.Then select a location on your PC to save the file.

Install new firmware
1. Click on the link below and download the router firmware.
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6300/D6300-Firmware_-V1.0.0.72_1.0.72.zip
If the firmware that you've downloaded is a zipped file, please extract it first before updating the router's firmware.
2. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://routerlogin.net. (please connect one computer to the router using an Ethernet cable)
3.Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
4.Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
5.Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Hard Reset the Router:
a. Using a paper clip, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
b. Without releasing the reset button unplug the power cord and replug after 30 seconds.
c. Continue to press and hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
d. Release the reset button and wait for the router to properly reboot.

Note: This will delete all settings in the device and will terminate connections. Reconfiguration is needed to restore Internet connection.

Restore the settings:
1. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
2.Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Backup Settings.
3. Click Browse and find the file you backed-up earlier.
4. Click Restore

Perform sequential powercycle

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19755

If you find that the above information provided were unsuccessful in answering your questions please log into http://www.my.netgear.com. Please provide as much detail as possible as this will help us better troubleshoot and answer your questions.

Aside from the online KB articles and Forums, we also have premium support options that entitle you to have unlimited technical support for all your networking devices. For more information regarding this, please contact 1-855-432-7432

Thanks for choosing NETGEAR.
Virtuoso

Have you tried updating the firmware today. I think its working already. Please confirm if you still encounter problem with updating it.
Discussion Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Top Contributors