Luminary

R6300 WiFi light blinking ?

I am new to this router and it seems to work good but just noticed the wifi light is now blinking when before it was solid blue. I have wps disabled so why would that light blink??
Luminary

Re: R6300 WiFi light blinking ?

Any ideas ?? I have noticed the wifi light only blinks for about an hour then it goes solid again but during the time it blinks or solid im having no connection issues. Firmware problem ??
Aspirant

Got this from manual:

The Push 'N' Connect (WPS) Button Blinks Amber
If after using the WPS function the button blinks amber, check the following:

Make sure that you are using the button and not the router’s built-in registrar.
• Check that PIN verification has succeeded for the wireless device you are adding to the wireless network.
• Make sure that you have not pressed the WPS button on the side of the router after disabling the WPS feature (you logged in to the router and disabled this previously).
• Check that the router is not in the temporary AP setup locked state (if you are using the wireless repeater function).
Luminary

Thanks for the reply. I don't use the wps feature that's why I disabled it. I have never pressed the button for it on the router. I also am not using it as a repeater it is a stand alone router. Just to be clear the blinking light im talking about is the blue wifi light at the bottom of the router not the wps light on the side. Thanks Jim !!
Luminary

It says in the manuel that the wifi (blue led) should be solid unless your using wps mode and I am not at least as far as I know. There are no devices here that have been setup with WPS.
Tutor

write down any changes you made to the router.
Then do a factory reset.

1xR6300 V1 - V1.0.2.36_1.0.28
Aspirant

I power off the R6300 and power it back on and it solved my blinking wifi blue light. :cool: Never find out why it was blinking... :rolleyes:
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mark_K wrote:
write down any changes you made to the router.
Then do a factory reset.

Hi Mark. I did the same thing (which you suggested in my thread about this: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=83357), but even after the factory resent, the blue WiFi LED flashes. It seems to cycle through flashing for a long period of time, then staying solid, then going back to flashing.

Any other ideas?

And can you tell me where I can check to make sure that WPS is disabled?

Thanks again!
Tutor

I dont know if you can diable WPS.

I beleive that to turn it on you press a button on the side of the router.
It should only stay on for 30 or 60 seconds and than turn off.

Tutor

Also make sure you have the latest firmware loaded.

Luminary

momar wrote:
Hi Mark. I did the same thing (which you suggested in my thread about this: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=83357), but even after the factory resent, the blue WiFi LED flashes. It seems to cycle through flashing for a long period of time, then staying solid, then going back to flashing.

Any other ideas?

And can you tell me where I can check to make sure that WPS is disabled?

Thanks again!

Mine has been stable for the last day no blinking. Also you can disable WPS just log into your router go to advanced and then wireless settings and uncheck the box that says enable router pin.
Aspirant

Yeah. I've never [intentionally] pressed the WPS button, and I'm sure I haven't pressesince I reset to factory settings.

And yes, I do have the latest firmware: V1.0.2.38_1.0.33.

Any other suggestions?
Aspirant

Jim769 wrote:
Mine has been stable for the last day no blinking. Also you can disable WPS just log into your router go to advanced and then wireless settings and uncheck the box that says enable router pin.

Hey Jim, thanks.

Glad to head yours stopped flashing. Mine is still blinking away!

I checked for that setting, but don't see it—and I've looked through all of the settings. Do you have a D6300 or R6300? Mine is the R6300. Is it possible that the UI is different?

If you have the chance, would you mind attaching a screenshot?
Luminary

I had to return my R6300 because for what ever reason it wont reconnect to my modem after it was powered down tried everything it just would not connect I don't need more headaches so back it went. I am now back to my EA-4500 that I was hoping to shelf. I may look into some of the new Asus routers and try one of them or just keep the EA-4500 it does work good just hate the cisco cloud crap. Jim !!
Tutor

Jim769 wrote:
I had to return my R6300 because for what ever reason it wont reconnect to my modem after it was powered down tried everything it just would not connect I don't need more headaches so back it went. I am now back to my EA-4500 that I was hoping to shelf. I may look into some of the new Asus routers and try one of them or just keep the EA-4500 it does work good just hate the cisco cloud crap. Jim !!

If you do get an ASUS please come back and let us know how you make out....

Luminary

Will do Mark give me a few weeks very busy right now but I will post back.
Aspirant

I decided to look over at my R6300 and low and behold the WiFi blue led was blinking, and I'm sure it was not blinking before. I have WPS disabled. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now it's solid blue. But what the heck does this mean? I do have the latest firmware.
Apprentice

Finalrinse wrote:
...and behold the WiFi blue led was blinking, and I'm sure it was not blinking before. I have WPS disabled. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now it's solid blue. But what the heck does this mean? I do have the latest firmware.

From page 10 of the R6300 User Manual:
•Solid blue. The wireless radio is operating in either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz mode.
•Blinking: The router is in WPS mode.
•Off. The wireless radios are off for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz

After flashing new firmware it is recommended that you always Factory Reset the router (either via the pinhole or the GUI) and manually re-enter all your settings.
Novice

If you are not using WPS and you want to stop the flashing blue light do the following:

login to router
click on ADVANCED tab

click on ADVANCED SETUP

click on WIRELESS SETTINGS
Remove all 3 check marks under the WPS settings ("Enable Routers PIN", "Keep Existing Wireless Settings 2.4", Keep Existing Wireless Settings 5")

Click apply

Flashing blue light will not be solid
Aspirant

Interestingly, the blue WiFi light finally stopped flashing a couple weeks ago—and I had long since given up on doing anything about it. It just stopped! Anyway, I went in to these settings (which I hadn't been through before) and all three of those boxes were checked. I unchecked them and applied the settings and the light is still solid. Thanks for the help—it probably won't start flashing again!
Aspirant

I have had the same blinking WPS light issue on two Netgear routers -R6200 and R6300. Had the R6200 3 months before it started. It started on the R6300 right out of the box. Worked with Negear support, on both reboots, new firmware, disable WPS, rename SSID, change channels, etc. etc. Found many posting about this - brute force attack, script, etc. Netgear support acts like this is the first time they heard of it when I contacted them but a simple google search and found this posting on their own forum and others. Im tired of being free QA tech for Netgear on this issue. I do not know why it started blinking, don't know why it stops for a while and starts again. I have WPS turned off so when it blinks I tried to connect using a WPS device and it didn't work, so keeping WPS tunred off through the router control panel looks like it keeps it form allowing unwanted connections even though the WPS blinking occurs. I checked my firewall and ran virus software found no problems. So, probably just going to take this R6300 back to BB and try another brand router. Simply put I have no desire to solve the blinking WPS problem on Netgear routers, I just want a safe, secure and reliable router with no unexpalined problems. I would be interested to know if anyone else worked the problem with Netgear support and what the results were. Any suggestions for a comparable router form ASUS, Cisco, other? Thanks for indulging the rant
Aspirant

I've also found Netgear support to be lacking: slow response, copied-and-pasted answers via email, vague information about existing and planned support, etc. I do hope this R6300 will last me a good, long time, but I've definitely decided that my next wireless router will not be from Netgear. Live and learn...
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback - I'm going to ditch this r6300 and exchange it for another brand. I just don't like the lack of explanation/resolution for a malfunctioning basic feature. Any product line managers for Netgear trolling the forum?
Retired_Member

Regarding flashing WPS.

The 3700,4000,4700 & R6300 have all flash for no apparent reason. A simple toggling off then on again of the wireless button solves the problem for me. It does seem to happen every time I test a new wireless device which hasn't been connected to the network before.

I too have gotten feed up at times with Netgear and ran to TigerDirect for the latest competitors box and always ended up exchanging it for another netgear.
Discussion Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation