Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup and Sync

dwad
Initiate

Backup and Sync

I have just set up my ReadyNas, and hope that the following might be useful. Essentially I had no trouble setting up TimeMachine, but ReadyCloud installation; Backup and Sync all caused me problems.

My environment is iMac, Yosemite 10.3.3

ReadyCloud App (i.e. for OSX). Don't be surprised if you don't get a prompt to install (which the Netgear feature video suggests). That means you have to go and find it. I strongly suggest raising it as an email issue at this point (NOT live chat), to ensure that you get the latest version. The versions I was sent to during Live Chat would not install. I was also told that I should uninstall ReadyNAS Remote prior to installing. The emailed link from support and the uninstall of ReadyNAS remote worked.

Backup and Sync seem to work, but in a rather arcane way. As far as I can tell you need to Backup a folder before you can Sync, but there is rather more to it than that.

Backup. You can choose any folder you like to back up from the home user directory - the one with a house icon and your name. I recommend creating a new folder in there, and putting a single file in there too. I used a Word file.
In ReadyCloud (the app) Choose Backup Mac Folder. This worked for me, but creates a folder on the NAS called xxxxxx-imac-lan-Test_backup (xxxetc for security reasons. My original folder on the Mac was called simply Test backup. The backup worked fine. I could not see how to get the file back onto the Mac, but eventually worked out that I had to stop the backup, and do a Sync.

Sync. Again, it works, but some tenacity helps! Running Sync puts the file back on the Mac, but not in the folder you started with! You get a directory in your home user folder called ReadyCloud, and below that you have the folder you backed up written back - yes, with the strange created name. Kind of obscure, and if you wanted this to work long-term you would then have to delete your original I guess, because you now have multiple versions, one of which (your original) isn't going anywhere, unless of course you do a backup). Editing the file locally (i.e. getting it from where ReadyCloud wrote it back to) saving and closing it results in an updated version on the NAS, automatically. My next problem came when editing the file through the ReadyCloud portal (browser, not App, I haven't tried the Remote or mobile Apps yet). I edited, saved and closed, and there was no syncing. Eventually I worked out that nor only was I not syncing, I wasn't actually saving my edits. They were being saved in Downloads for some reason (probably because I opened the doc on the web - not sure). I did a Save As, found the right place, and all worked - make sure you overwrite though, or it will save with a numbered version e.g. Test file n. Having done Save As once I think it worked with a Save the next time.

So, it does sync, and bidirectionally, but perhaps not very practically. As I mentioned above you would have to Backup the relevant folders from your home user folder. That original folder is then rendered obsolete, because the Sync is not using it.

Message 1 of 4
ranc
Aspirant

This is exactly the issue that has got me fairly baffled.  I'm over on the PC world but same gig unless someone can enlighten me.  There seems to be no clear conceptualisation of when you would backup vs sync as they're sort of nested in each other and then this redundant 3rd copy you mention which as someone who works with tons of different versioned docs seems a recipe for big trouble.

Once again I keep feeling like I'm missing a point here .. that there's got to be some sort of nice concise user documentation explaining all of this and it really should not be that complicated .. should it??

Message 2 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dwad,

Let's wait for the official ReadyCLOUD desktop app for MAC and hopefully it will address the backup sync issue that you are experiencing.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 3 of 4
ranc
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

The desktop app has been officially launched for Windows client and I've got exactly the same issue.  How / when is that going to be addressed or if you could point me in the direction of user documentation that can help me set this up so I don't end up with 3 copies and I'd be very happy.

Thanks,

Ros

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements