Can I use ReadyCloud on RND4210v3?

string4721
Aspirant

I have been happily using ReadyNAS NV+ for over 8 years.  Other than upgrading firmware and replacing a few disks, I have not stayed on top of the latest versions of products and software.  I am totally confused about ReadyCloud and can't seem to get started.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

My Model:  RND4210v3.  (I can't find this model in the long drop down product list)

Serial Number:  23J3997B0094F

4 Disks - 2 GB each

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.15

What I would like to accomplish?

1. Back up my Macbook files.

2. Access my backups remotely on my IOS devices and my Macbook when I'm on the road. 

I am currently configured to access my files through a web browser.  Which is fine but I it is hard to search and browse for files that I need. I have a large number of files on the machine.  

I seems like ReadyCloud is what I would like to install.  Questions:

1. I can't seem to Discover my device.

2. Is my model even eligible (able to?) have ReadyCloud installed.

3. Should I upgrade my device?

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I use ReadyCloud on RND4210v3?

ReadyCLOUD is not available for your ReadyNAS NV+ v1 hardware revision 3.

ReadyCLOUD is only available for ReadyNAS OS 6.

ReadyNAS Remote is for your NV+ but ReadyNAS Remote is EOL.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@string4721 wrote:

My Model:  RND4210v3.  (I can't find this model in the long drop down product list)

Serial Number:  23J3997B0094F

4 Disks - 2 GB each

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.15

You have an NV+ v1 (hardware version 3).  The labeling is confusing, this guide might be helpful to you:  http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

This platform became end-of-life in 2011, and Netgear announced last summer that they wouldn't be providing any more firmware updates.  You are running the final firmware already.

@string4721 wrote:

2. Is my model even eligible (able to?) have ReadyCloud installed.

No.  Only OS 6 ReadyNAS can use ReadyCloud.  Most NAS that run 4.2.x firmware can be switched over to OS 6 - but 4.1.x and 5.x systems can't be switched over.

Using ReadyNAS Remote should be possible for you, though I don't personally recommend it.

@string4721 wrote:

What I would like to accomplish? 

1. Back up my Macbook files.

2. Access my backups remotely on my IOS devices and my Macbook when I'm on the road. 

Full disclosure: I am not a ReadyCloud user.  Over the years I've found the performance to be uneven, with service outages that are too frequent for me to depend on it.  I also haven't seen any documentation on its security.  ReadyNAS Remote shares the same technology (and NAT traversal servers), and I found its performance to be uneven/unreliable also.  I've used other solutions for some years now.

Personally I think that deploying a VPN is the best way to achieve these two objectives.  Several higher-end Netgear routers have OpenVPN built in, and that is what I use myself.  You can also check to see if there is open source firmware that supports OpenVPN available for your current router.

You do want to be careful to pick a router that supports both TUN and TAP devices (you'll need TUN for your iOS devices, but TAP is generally what you use in PCs).  Unfortunately some Netgear routers with OpenVPN only support TAP.

Your NV+ also supports FTPS (a secure form of FTP), so you could use a combination of port forwarding and DDNS in your router to allow remote access using that.  Unfortunately you can't prevent FTP from being used (though you can on OS6).  But you can configure the clients on your devices to use FTPS. I've used GoodReader on iOS for that in the past; I'm sure there are other options.  FileZilla is a good FTP PC client, and I think there is an iOS package for that too (though I haven't used it on iOS).

@string4721 wrote:

3. Should I upgrade my device? 

Your NV+ v1 is quite slow by modern standards.  A new OS6 platform (RN21x, RN42x, RN52x, RN62x) is much faster - 100+ MB/s large file transfer speeds on gigabit ethernet. 

The storage in the NV+ v1 is also maxed out (assuming you meant 2 TB disks Smiley Wink ).  10 TB drives are on the OS6 HCL already, and I expect the 12 TB models will be added soon.

Plus the NV+ is old.  At some point, the PSU or system board will fail.

OS6 uses BTRFS instead of EXT for the underlying file system.  One advantage is the BTRFS snapshot feature - a very storage-efficient mechanism which lets you roll back to older versions of your files (saved in the snapshots).

So (setting ReadyCloud aside) it is time to plan for an upgrade.  

FWIW, my own NV+ is still operational.  My main NAS now is an RN526x.  The NV+ backs up some of my RN526x shares using daily rsync backups.  You could do something similar - deploy a new main NAS, and re-purpose the NV+ as a NAS backup.

Message 3 of 4
string4721
Aspirant

StephenB

That is the most complete and helpful post to any of my questions on ANY support site.  Thank you very much.  I will take on your recommendations and plan an upgrade and use my NV+ as a back of the new device of sorts.  Thank you again. 

Message 4 of 4