Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access certain folders on RN 104 via ReadyCloud

cotton168
Aspirant

Can't access certain folders on RN 104 via ReadyCloud

Hello,

I've been pulling my hair trying to find out what happened to my RN104 but so far I haven't gotten the solution I've been searching for so I thought I would post here to see if anyone can help me. I've been able to access the RN104 with the administrative credentials but when my friends try to get access to a certain folder, they can't seem to see anything. Thumbnails won't pop up, previews won't show, and the worst part of it is when they try to download the file, they get an error saying that the file is either corrupt or too large when the file is only 1.0MB in size.

I have full access and have had no problems with it. They have also tried using different browers (Chrome, Firefox, IE) but the same thing happens. We are at our wits end trying to figure out what is wrong. The only thing I can think of is updating to the new firmware because before then, everything was working. Now I have two people who can get to the folder, but when they try to download a file (picture) Windows Photo Viewer can't even display it.

The way that they are accessing the file is via the shared web link I provided them and I checked if it was because the number of access I gave them was up but they still have over 700 times they can access the folder using that link. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreaciated. I have tried turning off and on the RN104 and I have already migrated to MyNetgear so that can't be the issue.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't access certain folders on RN 104

Is this really a ReadyCloud question?  (It seems like it, but I wanted to be certain before I move it).

Message 2 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Re: Can't access certain folders on RN 104

Yeah it is because the people who have access can't seem to get stuff out of ReadyCloud. Thank you.
Message 3 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Re: Can't access certain folders on RN 104 via ReadyCloud

Does anyone know what is causing this issue?
Message 4 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cotton168,

Welcome to the community!

Which Firmware are you on? Also, do you have files saved on the Private home shares of your ReadyCLOUD users?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your reply. As far as I know I'm using the latest firmware with is 6.5.1

I don't think I have the files saved on the Private home shares because before, they were all able to access the folder and download without any issues. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide you with.

Message 6 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cotton168,

Have you considered deleting the following users and re-inviting them? The last thing you can do is to totally leave the Cloud, re-login your admin account and re-invite the rest of the users.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Yes, I did delete them before and reinvite them and it still wouldn't work. When you say to totally leave the Cloud, what do you mean? I can totally try that if it means that they would be able to access that one folder. The odd thing is that they are able to view and download on a different folder but the largest folder, they are not able to view or download and this is the folder everyone needs to use. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cotton168,

There is a Leave button under the Cloud tab. This will temporarily disable the ReadyCLOUD if there's no account that's logged in as admin. Take note that you before you do this, backup files that are stored in your ReadyCLOUD private home folders/shares.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 9 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

OK, I tried the Leave solution and it created a bigger problem than I had originally. For some reason, I can't even log in. I can see a login for the Netgear router now which I didn't need in the beginning but now it's there so I'll leave it but I can't seem to manage my RN104. When I try to make the device discoverable and then login, I get an error and then it says that they can't even recover my password. I'm at a total loss now. I've attached pics of the items for you to see. Thank you.netgear3.jpg

netgear3.jpg

Message 10 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cotton168,

It is possible that you have another ReadyCLOUD enabled device in your network. As I can see, you're trying to login to the admin page of your ReadyNAS device, have you used the default login credentials (un: admin / pw: password)? If you're planning to perform an OS reinstall, have your unit booted up in volume read-only and start backing up your files.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

The only ReadyCloud device I have is my RN104. I still for some reason can't manage the RN104 but my Netgear router does see the RN104. I'm now completely lost and no one (including myself) have been able to use the device at all.

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@cotton168 wrote:

Hi Brian,

The only ReadyCloud device I have is my RN104. I still for some reason can't manage the RN104 but my Netgear router does see the RN104. I'm now completely lost and no one (including myself) have been able to use the device at all.

So let's start w/o readycloud.

When you browse to https://nasipaddress/admin, the username it wants is "admin", and the password is the NAS admin password.  That defaults to password, though of course you should have changed that when you installed the NAS.

If you can't remember the password, then do an OS reinstall, using the procedure on page 24-25 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN_OS_6_Desktop_HW_UM_12Oct2015.pdf

That will reset the admin password to password and will also set the network connection to use dhcp (automatically get the IP address).  It shouldn't hurt your data or other settings.  Then change the password, and (although security experts will cringe) write it down and tape it to the RN104.  Anyone stealing the NAS can reset the admin password themselves, so there isn't much security risk to doing that.

Though the procedure is pretty safe, BrianL is correct in recommending a backup first.  However if you can't use the NAS at all, that likely isn't an option.

Message 13 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

OK, I managed to get my RN104 up again with the router all on ReadyCloud (the router was setup by accident when I was trying to get RN104 up and running so now it's just there and I don't mind it being there LOL). I played around with the passwords because nothing was working so I ended up using what you had mentioned (admin and password as the login and password) and it actually worked. I have since updated the password to a different one and have sent invitations out to my friends to see if they would be able to see the folders. Will report back to see if that worked or not. Fingers and everything crossed.

Message 14 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

OK, I did the invite and had my friends try to see the folder named Pictures which is the one that we are having an issue with. Unfortunately, it did not work and they still are not able to view that folder. They can view all the other folders that they have access to but just not that folder and it is the folder they all need to see. They were able to view this folder before, but not anymore.

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Did you check all the settings on Pictures (comparing them with a share that works)?

Message 16 of 17
cotton168
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Yes, I did and that link still don't work. If you would like, I can make you screen caps of thing for you to see.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements