Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't see ReadyNAS in computer Network

Macspark
Aspirant

Can't see ReadyNAS in computer Network

Hope someone can assist me.

I dont seem to be able to see my Readynas in the network on my computer anymore following a power flick some 24 hours ago.

I also cant seem to disover my NAS when I log onto the Readycloud.

Have only been a Readynas user foe 6 months and not that confident in this area yet.

I have tried the hold backup button and hit retry and that dosnt work, and I aslo get a timeout error when I try to connect to the admin area.

Sorry if this seem a bit criptic but first time I have used these types of forums for assistance.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't see ReadyNAS in computer Network

Hi @Macspark

Yes you will connect your PC to the Ethernet port and try to access the NAS by detecting it on RAIDar or via Hostname assigned to it or the default hostname which is nas-XX-XX-XX (where XX-XX-XX are the last six (6) Hexadecimal characters of the primary MAC Address.

e.g.

the default hostname of a ReadyNAS that has the MAC Address 2C:B0:5D:BF:20:EA is nas-BF-20-EA. To access the Admin Page: http://nas-bf-20-ea/admin To access the shares through Windows Explorer: \\nas-bf-20-ea

Since you have your NAS accessible again, I encourage you to press the accept as solution button on the post you see as the resolution so other community users can benefit from the solution.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 18

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Macspark

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried checking the NAS status using RAIDar? You can download it here.

IP might have changed or if you are not discovering the NAS kindly check if your Network connection is working.

Regards

Message 2 of 18
Macspark
Aspirant

Thanks Marc_V

I have checked my Network and all seems to be working ok as I have a CCTV system running through it and I can see that working remotely as well as locally.

I have tried Raidar but that cant locate me NAS either. 

How would I identify if my IP has changed, I cant remember what it was when I set it up, unless it is supposed to be the same as the one I use to log into Admin which is also not allowing me in now.

If I try and click any files on my mapped drives all are saying cant find the path.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 18
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Macspark

You can identify the IP using RAIDar

Your ReadyNAS might not be getting an IP, Does the Ethernet port being used has LED lit? have you tried changing the ethernet port where your cable is connected? 

If it still not getting any IP or not being detected try connecting your computer directly on the NAS and run RAIDar.

I would suggest contacting NETGEAR Support as well if it is still not getting detected.

Regards

Message 4 of 18
Macspark
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V

You mentioned connecting the NAS directly to the computer and to then run RAIDar.

Do I connect it by plugging the ethernet cable directly from the NAS to the PC or is this done via the USB ports on the back of the NAS, Sorry just not sure.

Message 5 of 18
Macspark
Aspirant

Marc_V

Just letting you know my NAS has come back up, not sure what I did as I tried a number of things.

The last thing I did was a soft power down and restart, although I did do that on a couple of occasions in the last couple of days, so still none the wiser.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter, much appresiated.

Still would like to know the answer to my last question regards connecting NAS directly to PC?

Message 6 of 18
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Macspark

Yes you will connect your PC to the Ethernet port and try to access the NAS by detecting it on RAIDar or via Hostname assigned to it or the default hostname which is nas-XX-XX-XX (where XX-XX-XX are the last six (6) Hexadecimal characters of the primary MAC Address.

e.g.

the default hostname of a ReadyNAS that has the MAC Address 2C:B0:5D:BF:20:EA is nas-BF-20-EA. To access the Admin Page: http://nas-bf-20-ea/admin To access the shares through Windows Explorer: \\nas-bf-20-ea

Since you have your NAS accessible again, I encourage you to press the accept as solution button on the post you see as the resolution so other community users can benefit from the solution.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 7 of 18
Robo-Robbie
Aspirant

Hi I’m new to the Netgear ReadyNAS group as I have just bought a second hand unit. On ten face of things it should do all that I want but I’m stuck and I hope you can point me in the right direction
Forgive me if this is not the right thread
I have downloaded RAIDar on both Windows & Mac and can see the ReadyNas Duo V2 sometimes but no machine can connect consistently
I also can’t open the Admin page when selecting it from the RAIDar
I wonder if this may be because the firmware is 5. Something (I didn’t get a chance to write it down before losing connection again) so I think it needs a firmware upgrade
Can I download the new firmware and then connect a PC directly to the NAS to update it and if I can how? (Hence why mentioning it in this post relating to pc direct connection )
Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Robo-Robbie wrote:

I also can’t open the Admin page when selecting it from the RAIDar

best to start your own topic, instead of adding something to a 5-year old thread.

Are you getting an error like "unsupported protocol" or ERR_SSL_VERSION or CIPHER_MISMATCH?  If so, the problem is that your NAS is limited to TLS 1.0 support, while most browsers now require TLS 1.2  There is a way to fix that, but it's be best if you can confirm the error you are seeing first.

@Robo-Robbie wrote:

I wonder if this may be because the firmware is 5. Something (I didn’t get a chance to write it down before losing connection again) so I think it needs a firmware upgrade

NV+ v2 and Duo v2 NAS can only run 5.x.x firmware.  The final version was 5.3.13 (released back in 2017).  

FYI - Netgear launched the v2 NAS in late 2011, and discontinued them in 2013.  

Message 9 of 18
Robo-Robbie
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the quick reply and point taken regarding a separate thread

When I launch the admin request from the RAIDar it opens a web page with the ReadyNAS box and a spinning timer and that’s it, no further

If I open a normal web page and enter the IP address then I get general security warning about the certificate not valid

Regarding the firmware now I know I can check what my machine

Thanks again for your help
Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Robo-Robbie wrote:

Regarding the firmware now I know I can check what my machine

RAIDar will tell you the firmware version on the NAS.  The latest (final) firmware version is 5.3.13.

@Robo-Robbie wrote:

If I open a normal web page and enter the IP address then I get general security warning about the certificate not valid

You need to click through that.  The certficate is self-signed, so cannot be verified by a certificate authority.

Message 11 of 18
Robo-Robbie
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the feedback
I have been clicking through and when I get the Readynas screen come up it just says ReadyNas and stops, no admin tabs.
Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Robo-Robbie wrote:
 when I get the Readynas screen come up it just says ReadyNas and stops, no admin tabs.

No pop-up with a prompt for a username/password???

Also, are you including /admin after the IP address?

What disks (manufacturer and model) are in the NAS?

Message 13 of 18
Robo-Robbie
Aspirant

Ok so I have had some success which has led to a few other failures
Long story short I have managed to gain access to the admin screen but this was through a slightly older Firefox (Chrome & Edge would not allow me in) and I had to save as a trusted source on a fresh Windows install using RAIDar
This was after I changed some network connections and plugged the ReadyNas directly into my Deco Disc (previously from my Deco into a KVM switch then to the NAS)
The discs are Barracuda ST2000DM008-2FR102 (brand new) with 2Tb each
That gives me a total of … 2Tb (which I have pretty well used up)
So my next question is how do I get 2 x 2Tb storage?
Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Robo-Robbie wrote:

The discs are Barracuda ST2000DM008-2FR102 (brand new) with 2Tb each

Not the best choice, as this is an SMR drive.  That often causes problems with RAID. Write speeds can be glacially slow with SMR.

Seagate Ironwolf or WDC Red Plus (NOT WD Reds) are better options.

@Robo-Robbie wrote:

So my next question is how do I get 2 x 2Tb storage?

You are using XRAID/RAID-1, which mirrors the two disk drives.  So 2x2TB RAID-1 gives you a 2 TB volume.

If you set up the NAS again (doing another factory reset) you can switch to FlexRAID.  The best option is maximize space is to configure the system as JBOD (putting some shares on each drive).  

Of course you could also just return the two Barracudas, and get one larger Ironwolf disk (either 4 or 8 TB).

Message 15 of 18
Robo-Robbie
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the feedback, very useful and very much appreciated

Regarding the drives I bought the entire unit ‘cheap’ (£70) from someone on Gumtree and compared to what I’m currently using (which is a USB powered hard drive plugged directly into my TP Link hub seemed a much better choice (the current drive I have used for a while and it feels sometimes that it’s going to give up on me) hence looking for alternatives
I’m only looking to access and back up music media (iTunes form a couple of machines) as well as some stream some saved photos & films to Firesticks
Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Robo-Robbie wrote:

I’m only looking to access and back up music media (iTunes form a couple of machines) as well as some stream some saved photos & films to Firesticks

If the NAS is only storing data you are also keeping on at least one other device, then a backup plan for the NAS isn't needed.

If you need more space, then switching to jbod would give it to you.  The main thing is to plan out what shares you want put on each drive - roughly balancing the free space.

It is also possible to create a single 4  TB RAID-0 volume with flexraid.  That avoids the need to balance free space.  But it is fragile, so I don't recommend it.  When one disk fails with jbod, the contents on the other disk remains accessible.-  But with RAID-0, you lose all the data when either disk fails.

Message 17 of 18
Robo-Robbie
Aspirant

Thanks again for the help it is appreciated
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements