Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EXTERNAL DRIVE BACK UP - MAC Ready NAS

mrmpitts
Aspirant

EXTERNAL DRIVE BACK UP - MAC Ready NAS

Hello,

I run both mac and PC, and used to have folders on my external drives backing up to my ReadyNAS.  For some reason, it stopped working, have attempted to set up new ones, but I can now no longer find/select the external drives? I can't remember if I did it a special way or it's just not supported any more? A search on the web has proved fruitless.  Hopefully someone can help.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
BingkeX
NETGEAR Expert

Re: EXTERNAL DRIVE BACK UP - MAC Ready NAS

Hi mrmpitts,

Do you want to backup subfolders in external drives to ReadyNAS via readycloud app on PC and MAC?

You cannot select the external drive directly, but you can select subfolders in it.

If you still cannot find/select subfolders in external drive, may i know your readycloud app version?

Best Regards.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mrmpitts wrote:

I run both mac and PC, and used to have folders on my external drives backing up to my ReadyNAS.  For some reason, it stopped working, have attempted to set up new ones, but I can now no longer find/select the external drives?

If you are using ReadyNAS backup jobs (and external drives connected to the PC), then the backup job is backing up a share, not the external drive itself (so you need to share the drive on the PC and Mac).

If this suddenly stopped working in 6.9.0, then you might want to check if the 6.9.0+4 hotfix is installed.  Download the log zip file and look in apt-history.log.  Toward the bottom you should see something like this:

Start-Date: 2017-11-06 04:48:07
Commandline: apt-get -qq install -fy rn-dictionary freeapp-collection readynasos ca-certificates
Upgrade: readynasos:amd64 (6.9.0+2, 6.9.0+4)
End-Date: 2017-11-06 04:48:10

If you don't see the upgrade to 6.9.0+4, then that likely is the issue.  Try rebooting the NAS, and waiting about 15 minutes, and see if it arrives.  Note the NAS must be set up to connect to the internet in order to receive the hotfix.

If 6.9.0+4 is there (or if you are running 6.8.1 or earlier), then your issue might be related to credentials.  Try modifying the backup job to specify a user account on the PC that has access to the share- don't depend on guest.

A third possibility: Microsoft is deprecating SMB1, and many new windows 10 updates turn off the SMB server in the PC.  So check to see if that has happened.  If so, you can manually enable it, and see if that helps.

Personally, I don't use the built in backup jobs for PC backup (though I do use the built-in backup to back up the NAS itself) . I use tools in the PC which specify a NAS share as a target.  I use Acronis TrueImage, but there are free tools that can also be used instead - for instance FreeFileSync (which runs on both OSX and Windows). 

Message 3 of 6
mrmpitts
Aspirant

@BingkeX wrote:

Hi mrmpitts,

Do you want to backup subfolders in external drives to ReadyNAS via readycloud app on PC and MAC?

You cannot select the external drive directly, but you can select subfolders in it.

If you still cannot find/select subfolders in external drive, may i know your readycloud app version?

Best Regards.

hello,

It says 'ReadyCloud Client v1.5' and I've just recently updated the NAS too

Message 4 of 6
mrmpitts
Aspirant

Hello, 

Yes I think I tried the share route, but will test that again as I'm sure that's the way I did it before.  If not will try the other options.  Would you recommend using a third party app alltogether then? I'm running mac, so would that freefilesync be ok? I'd rather pay for something if it's more secure/reliable

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mrmpitts wrote:

so would that freefilesync be ok? I'd rather pay for something if it's more secure/reliable

I don't use it, but some other posters here have recommended it.  Perhaps some other mac users will chime in with their thoughts.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements