Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: File Acces/ network access rights and current access denied of added users through the app

TimenGaby
Aspirant

File Acces/ network access rights and current access denied of added users through the app

Hello,

I have been struggling for the last couple of days with having a safe, limited accessed system but still providing access rights to the added users. Currently I have added 2 cloudusers. In readycloud I have provided them with read/write rights. I can see that back in my network access tab a the selected shared folder (e.g. Documents) in my Admin page, Shares, Documents, Settings --> Network access. Going one tab further to File Access (security), the Folder Owner and Folder Group are selected on Admin (For info) but not being able to put the boxes on at the added users (they are a kind of grey and cannot be selected) for read or read/write access. Next thing I tried was selecting everyone row giving access for read or read/write.

After having selected this row as being activated, the users will have access. However, I prefer not providing everyone access since I do not know who is actually everyone... all users I added, or everyone? I also want to differentiate between the users (since some are very close (within the house) and other are close friends but still I would give them limited access (read only).

Can you please help? Or differently stated: What would be the best way to setup my settings on the safest way but still being able to give different users different access rights to the same folder?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Re: File Acces/ network access rights and current access denied of added users through the app

Hello,

Everyone means everyone who has access to the device. However, it must be noted that the ReadyNAS will always apply the most restrictive setting set on either the File Access or the Network Access tab. Therefore I would suggest leaving the File Access Tab unchanged, (i.e. Folder Owner/Group: guest; Read/Write Access for Folder Owner/Group and Everyone). To restrict access I suggest to use the Network Access Tab. This will allow you to limit access to read-only for specific users.

Having said this, everything above only applies for local access as the settings you described were on the SMB-Tab. Therefore settings for Cloud users are greyed out. Cloud access configuration takes place on the readycloud.netgear.com website.

There you can limit access during the invitation process by selecting read access only. You can also change access settings later by clicking on a share and selecting “Share” in the context menu when logged in as the ReadyCLOUD Admin. On the following dialog you can select read-only for already invited users. Don’t forget to click on “Next” to apply changes. When the user logs on to the website read-only share will be indicated by a lock symbol

Bye,

Eskender

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

Everyone means everyone who has access to the device. However, it must be noted that the ReadyNAS will always apply the most restrictive setting set on either the File Access or the Network Access tab. Therefore I would suggest leaving the File Access Tab unchanged, (i.e. Folder Owner/Group: guest; Read/Write Access for Folder Owner/Group and Everyone). To restrict access I suggest to use the Network Access Tab. This will allow you to limit access to read-only for specific users.

Having said this, everything above only applies for local access as the settings you described were on the SMB-Tab. Therefore settings for Cloud users are greyed out. Cloud access configuration takes place on the readycloud.netgear.com website.

There you can limit access during the invitation process by selecting read access only. You can also change access settings later by clicking on a share and selecting “Share” in the context menu when logged in as the ReadyCLOUD Admin. On the following dialog you can select read-only for already invited users. Don’t forget to click on “Next” to apply changes. When the user logs on to the website read-only share will be indicated by a lock symbol

Bye,

Eskender

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements