Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: File copy froze Duo v1. Files and Admin now unreachable

dspj
Aspirant

File copy froze Duo v1. Files and Admin now unreachable

A couple of days ago i was copying mp3's from my NAS.

Copying suddenly froze and NAS dishe network.

I eventually was able to reboot the Duo manually (soft rebooat; long-press-blinks-shut down)

After reboot the admin overview showed 0 mb of 1 tb used !!!

Could not access the files. 

After a day or so i got a mail saying that the disks were now synchronized...?

Now i can neither access files, nor access admin.

The NAS is now only visible in RAIDar. No FW version stated. And most buttons grayed out...

t now ONLY is 

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have a backup?  If not first confirm that you have a Duo v1 by using this guide:

http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Then your priority should be to try to backup the data. You can use Linux reader on a PC to read disk 1 from the duo v1. It won't work with disk 2 (usually) and this won't work with later 2 bay models.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

What disks are in the nas?

What firmware is on the duo?

Did you have ssh enabled?

Alternatively you can start by testing the disks:

Power down the nas, remove each disk and test them with vendor tools on a PC, use the long or extended tests.

If the disks are ok, what you do after this depends on the backup situation, and whether you have ssh enabled.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have a backup?  If not first confirm that you have a Duo v1 by using this guide:

http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Then your priority should be to try to backup the data. You can use Linux reader on a PC to read disk 1 from the duo v1. It won't work with disk 2 (usually) and this won't work with later 2 bay models.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

What disks are in the nas?

What firmware is on the duo?

Did you have ssh enabled?

Alternatively you can start by testing the disks:

Power down the nas, remove each disk and test them with vendor tools on a PC, use the long or extended tests.

If the disks are ok, what you do after this depends on the backup situation, and whether you have ssh enabled.

Message 2 of 9
dspj
Aspirant

It's definitely a v1. Bought long before 2011.

Most questions are hard to answer as i cannot check...but perhaps i Have a saved config file (if that's readable to anyone? Should I post file if I find it?)

FW-version is the next to last as i wasn't able to perform that update neither online nor with downloadfile. Can't remember the number...

Disks are two 1 tb I think and I don't believe ssh was switched on (that's for Remote management, right?)

Backup status is mixed. Personal photos I have copies, for music collection as well. Then some films, audiobooks and software copies I can mostly live without. But camcorder videos I only have on original tape, some were edited on the NAS.
So replacing these is weeks if not months of 9-5 work - and I doubt that I would manage to find everything.

(Feels almost time to look for a gun or a piece a piece rope now...)

Linux is not my turf.
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In that case you probably should open a support case and let us know the case number. Depending on the nature of the problem we may be able to attempt data recovery. Support could explain the costs involved and do note that a data recovery attempt may be unsuccessful.

Message 4 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

It is probably worth having a look at disk 1 with Linux reader.  You do not need Linux skills to do this and it shouldn't adversely affect the chances of data recovery subsequently. Just make sure you remove disk 1 with the nas off, then replace it with the nas off when you are finished.

Otherwise follow mdgm's advice.

Message 5 of 9
dspj
Aspirant

Hello again and thanks for the advice.

I finally got some time to investigate this further and have tried the Linux reader.

Disk 1 seems to be OK. I can read the file directory structure and everything seems to be in place 🙂  What a relief!

Question is: Where do I go from here?

Backing the data up to a separate harddrive, obviously. But then.

What should I choose to replace the diseased Duo v.1?

- A current ReadyNAS model? Any suggestions?

(have very basic demands, the Duo was feature-wise quite OK)

- Another brand? Synology, QNAP and WD MyCloud seems to be receiving a lot of attention.

Or would it be likely that i could just insert my two existing disks into a current ReadyNAS model and expect it to work as before, more or less?

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dspj wrote:

Disk 1 seems to be OK. I can read the file directory structure and everything seems to be in place 🙂  What a relief!

Question is: Where do I go from here?

Backing the data up to a separate harddrive, obviously. But then.

You can do a factory reset of the duo v1, and restore the data from the backup. That should get you up and running for the short term.

@dspj wrote:

What should I choose to replace the diseased Duo v.1?

- A current ReadyNAS model? Any suggestions?

(have very basic demands, the Duo was feature-wise quite OK)

The RN102 or RN104 are the current equivalents. They are quite a bit faster than the Duo v1 (~50 MB/s write and ~70 MB/sec read). The RN200 and RN300 are also options (and both lines have a 2 bay model). Performance is faster still, but they are more expensive.

I also suggest using your current NAS to back up the new one.

@dspj wrote:

Or would it be likely that i could just insert my two existing disks into a current ReadyNAS model and expect it to work as before, more or less?

Unfortunately not.  All the current NAS use different disk structures, so you cannot migrate.  You can of course re-use the disks, but they need to be reformatted.

Message 7 of 9
dspj
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help and tips!

I managed to save the material from the old disk#1 over to portable USB-drive.

Afterwards I did a factory reset of the Duo v1 that seems to have resurrected it. But i don't think i'd want to trust it fully anymore.

So I have ordered a ReadyNAS 312 that'll hopefully arrive soon to take it's place, and add both performance and features.

I decided to stick with Netgear/ReadyNAS in spite of some difficulties with the 6-bay Ultra i've installed at work and the 2-bay Ultra i placed at home to backup work material.

The reason i decided to stick was that the Duo was always (earlier) a hazzle-free and reliable unit AND the excellent ReadyNAS Replicate service that we have used to mirror the NAS at work to the BU NAS at home. Was thinking i will do the other way around and let the work-NAS host a mirror of my home-NAS. The replicate license is, if i understood it correctly, included with the 312.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

A replicate license is included with OS6.

On the duo - one possibility is that the OS partition became full (which can happen over time).  If that were the case, then the hardware remains solid.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements