Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hiding share from ReadyCloud?

igl00
Aspirant

Hiding share from ReadyCloud?

Hi, I have ReadyCLOUD working perfectly on my RN104 but I'm wondering if it's possible to hide some shares or folders from the cloud, as in only being able to access them from LAN (Windows 8.1), while keeping access to everything else.

What I've tried so far is removing permissions to my readycloud user to shares, with no luck as I can't uncheck the Read/Write permissions to said cloud user. I've tried this from the local admin page and the ReadyCloud webpage.

I've also tried removing all network protocols except SMB to this share, but still can access it perfectly with ReadyCloud.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Are you trying to hide the folder/share from the invited user? Or are you trying to hide it from your (owner?) account?

If it is an invited user then Vandermerwe and JennC has the article posts that you are looking for to correct the behavior.

If you are referring to your account with the owner account, then there is not an option to allow you to hide the shares. Since you are the owner, you are considered the admin that will have more visibility than your invited users.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

You are probably logging in as the admin Readycloud user and therefore you will have access to everything.  I think you need to create another Readycloud user then use the admin account to restrict access. After you log in to Readycloud there is the Access tab which I assume is where you have been trying to change permissions. 

See here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24929/~/readycloud%3A-allowing-share-access-for-remote...

Message 2 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello igl00,

You may follow steps from this article ReadyCloud access right for a shared folder

Hope this helps and we look forward to your update.

Regards,

Message 3 of 9
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Are you trying to hide the folder/share from the invited user? Or are you trying to hide it from your (owner?) account?

If it is an invited user then Vandermerwe and JennC has the article posts that you are looking for to correct the behavior.

If you are referring to your account with the owner account, then there is not an option to allow you to hide the shares. Since you are the owner, you are considered the admin that will have more visibility than your invited users.
Message 4 of 9
igl00
Aspirant

@OOM-9 wrote:

Hi OOM-9, the last one. I'm trying to hide it everywhere. Ideally I would want to have one folder or volume (or whatever other way) that isn't accesible at all from the internet, while still being visible from my LAN.

It seems this is not possible, then. Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
igl00
Aspirant

@vandermerwe wrote:

You are probably logging in as the admin Readycloud user and therefore you will have access to everything.  I think you need to create another Readycloud user then use the admin account to restrict access. After you log in to Readycloud there is the Access tab which I assume is where you have been trying to change permissions. 

See here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24929/~/readycloud%3A-allowing-share-access-for-remote...

Hi vandermerwe, I have tried removing access to "everyone" in my test share, but still cannot disable my main cloud user (it's grayed out).

Message 6 of 9
igl00
Aspirant

Just to clarify, what I'd like is having my media collection available in the cloud, so I can connect from anywhere but my personal documents only accesible from LAN.

Message 7 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello igl00,

Using the main ReadyCloud user account when logging in to readycloud.netgear.com will show all shares of the NAS as that is like the ReadyCloud admin account of your ReadyNAS. This is the user account you entered in the admin page when you turned on the cloud.

Just like when you locally access the shares, using the admin account will see all shares including the private/home shares. Without having access to all shares using this ReadyCloud admin account, you will not be able to set permissions. Remember that permission for ReadyCloud users is different from the permission you set for local users.

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
igl00
Aspirant

@JennC wrote:

Hello @igl00,

Using the main ReadyCloud user account when logging in to readycloud.netgear.com will show all shares of the NAS as that is like the ReadyCloud admin account of your ReadyNAS. This is the user account you entered in the admin page when you turned on the cloud.

Just like when you locally access the shares, using the admin account will see all shares including the private/home shares. Without having access to all shares using this ReadyCloud admin account, you will not be able to set permissions. Remember that permission for ReadyCloud users is different from the permission you set for local users.

Regards,

Hi JennC.

Ok, understood. So when using ReadyCloud there is no way to enable or disable it only for certain folders or shares. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements