Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to delete a backup folder and start again?

Viffergb
Luminary

How to delete a backup folder and start again?

Hi

I'm struggling to figure out how to start afresh in backing up an existing PC folder for a second time to the NAS.

I have deleted the folder on my NAS, which in turn removes it from the 'ReadyCloud Desktop App' after a refesh, as you would expect.

However, when I select it [the folder] again using the 'Backup PC Folder' link in the desktop app, it's created but it does not copy all the files in the folder to the NAS.  I assume that I need to reset the 'archive' bit or something on the folder itself...or something on the desktop app in order to make it appear that the folder is being backed for the first time.

Can someone throw some light on how this can be achieved, please?

Thanks,

Graham

P.S. Like many others on here, I cannot view backup folders by clicking on the folder icons in the desktop client.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Viffergb,

What is the FW version of your NAS and the version of the ReadyCloud desktop client?

Have you tried turning off the ReadyCloud from the admin page then delete the share that was created when you clicked the Backup PC on the desktop then log out the ReadyCloud desktop client?

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
Viffergb
Luminary

Hi JennC,

Thanks for getting back to me.

NAS FW version is 6.5.1 and ReadyCLOUD Desktop Client is V1.12.

I have tried logging out of the ReadyCLOUD desktop client after deleting the share, but I haven't tried turning off the ReadyCLOUD from the admin page first.  Just to be clear, you want me to click 'Cloud' menu link on the admin page and then clicking the slide button to 'OFF' for ReadyCLOUD, yes?

I'll try it tomorrow, as I'm on a different laptop as I write this - where everything is working fine! - and not the laptop that is experiencing the problem I described.

F.Y.I. This laptop where it's working okay is currently running WIN10 'Home' and was upgraded from WIN8.1.  The laptop that is having problems is running WIN10 'Pro' and was upgraded from WIN7 'Ultimate'.

Regards,

Graham

Message 3 of 12
Viffergb
Luminary

Hi JennC

Just tried it on this laptop - the one having problems - and it's no different after trying your suggestion.

After following your instructions, I then turned ReadyCLOUD back on in the admin page and logged back into the desktop client and successfully created the share again.  The response from the share concerned in the desktop client just sat there reporting "Indexing...(0%)" with nothing being backed up to the share on the NAS.

It just so happens that I had to create a new file in the local folder on the this laptop today - the folder that I had created the share for - and sure enough, this newly created file was indeed backed up to the share I had just created on the NAS, but NONE of the files that already existed in the local folder were backed up!  The desktop client also reported "All files up to date" with a green tick against the folder icon.

It seems to me that somewhere a flag has been set reporting that ALL the files in my local folder with a datestamp before today's date have already been backed up, and therefore no action will be taken to back them up again!  Something needs resetting somewhere either on the NAS or desktop client or on both, so I can effectively start again with the shares being created if they have been deleted.

It's a shame that this backup and sync option in the desktop client isn't working reliably, as the main reason I am having to recreate the share again, is because it simply stopped backing up some of the folders for no apparent reason after weeks of running without a hitch.

It certainly seems to be a problem that has come about after this latest f/w upgrade to the NAS AND the latest f/w upgrade of the desktop client itself.

I am not the only one having problems, as borne out by a number of other users on here reporting issues also Smiley Frustrated.

If a solution isn't forthcoming soon, I'm going to remove the desktop client as it is not fit for purpose in it's present state and use my Acronis s/w to run a continuous backup of the folders concerned as an alternative.  Shame, as the desktop client offers a much simpler method of doing this if only it worked!

Regards,

Graham

Message 4 of 12
Viffergb
Luminary

Hi

Anyone from Netgear Support care to comment on how to fix the problem?

Message 5 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Viffergb,

You mentioned that there is another computer running with the desktop client and works with the PC backup, right? This means seetings of the ReadyNAS is okay. There must be something on the update of the comptuer that blocks it. Can you also check if Use Automatic Proxy Detection is unchecked? It should be blank, and turn off Firewall on this computer that is having trouble with the PC backup.

Regards,

Message 6 of 12
Viffergb
Luminary

Hi JennC,

Yes, the other laptop works fine, and agree the ReadyNAS settings must be okay.

It certainly narrows it down to being a problem on the faulty laptop itself.  Tried disabling the firewall, but made no difference.  Automatic Proxy Detection is difinitely unchecked.

What I have done is completely remove (uninstall in its entirety, including registry entries) the ReadyCLOUD desktop client and then re-installed it.  That appears to have sorted it, as it is currently indexing and then hopefully will start backing up the shares that I had deleted from the ReadyNAS server....fingers crossed Man Wink  It's going to take quite a while as the shares contain a lot of files.

One problem I still have is the fact that when I click on any folder icon in the desktop client, it doesn't open a Windows Explorer windows of said share. Although it's irritating, I can live with it.

Regards,

Graham

Message 7 of 12
Viffergb
Luminary

I can confirm that the shares have been successfully created and the files backed up Smiley Happy.  But still unable to open a Windows Explorer window when clicking on a folder as I reported in my previous post.

Regards,

Graham

Message 8 of 12
cpu8088
Virtuoso

sometimes the shares need to have network access permission re enabled

perhaps u may try that after backup is done?

Message 9 of 12
Viffergb
Luminary

Thanks.  Have tried setting network access permission to 'Everyone' + 'Anonymous', but still no luck.

The little 'gear wheel' which appears to the left of the folder icon turns for a second or two, but that's all.

Message 10 of 12
Psrich99
Aspirant

Have the exact same issue as your original post and read through the thread.  Deleted the NAS sync folder and the ReadySync folder it created on the host laptop.  The ReadyCloud client was uninstalled using the control panel SW uninstall, rebooted the computer then reinstalled the ReadyCloud client and it immediatedly tried syncing folders and failing - hadn't tried to set the sync folder up yet.  Rebooted the computer again and it stopped trying to sync until I set up the sync folder again.  This time it recreated the folders on the NAS and also the ReadySync folder on the host computer then gave a green check mark that the folder was sync'd.  Checked the folder on the NAS (can't open the link from the app) and it's completely empty.

Any other suggestions......can't get the system to recreate the backup as it thinks it has already been created.

Model: RN20221D|ReadyNAS 202
Message 11 of 12
Viffergb
Luminary

@Psrich99 wrote:

Have the exact same issue as your original post and read through the thread.  Deleted the NAS sync folder and the ReadySync folder it created on the host laptop.  The ReadyCloud client was uninstalled using the control panel SW uninstall, rebooted the computer then reinstalled the ReadyCloud client and it immediatedly tried syncing folders and failing - hadn't tried to set the sync folder up yet.  Rebooted the computer again and it stopped trying to sync until I set up the sync folder again.  This time it recreated the folders on the NAS and also the ReadySync folder on the host computer then gave a green check mark that the folder was sync'd.  Checked the folder on the NAS (can't open the link from the app) and it's completely empty.

Any other suggestions......can't get the system to recreate the backup as it thinks it has already been created.

As it just so happens, the problem reared its ugly head again about a week to 10 days ago, and after uninstalling the ReadyCloud client using the Windows 10 standard 'Uninstall a program', I to had the green check mark appear that the folder was sync'd way too early - local folder has a lot of files in it and the backup was completely empty - so it was a real puzzle!

Then, had a brainwave (don't get those very often Smiley Wink), and used another program I have to uninstall ReadyCloud client, but this program offers the choice of running a 'Powerful Scan' after a standard uninstall, which means it cleans out ALL traces of the program being uninstalled INCLUDING registry entries!  I then re-installed ReadyCloud client and recreated the sync folder and it worked!

NB: If it doesnt work the FIRST time after installing ReadyCloud client - on mine it said something like 'folder already exists' - either try logging off and back on again in Windows, or if that doesn't work, do a reboot.

Program I use is called 'IObit Uninstaller' http://www.iobit.com/en/index.php but I guess any uninstall program that will COMPLETELY remove all traces of program being removed should work.

H.T.H.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements