Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I would like a couple of shares NOT to be accessible remotely

dima12
Aspirant

I would like a couple of shares NOT to be accessible remotely

Hi all,

I have setup ReadyCloud for my NAS and everything works fine. I have a couple of shares that I would like NOT to be accessible remotely at all, not even by the admin user. Is it possible? From the readycloud page it does not seems possible because I can set permissions only for additional users and from the NAS admin page I cannot untick the readycloud admin email.

I mean, I just want these two shares to be accessible only from the local network, but not remotely. Can you help?

Thanks

Luca

Model: ReadyNAS RND2210|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: I would like a couple of shares NOT to be accessible remotely

@dima12 wrote:

Thanks, but hiding shares hides them also locally and never to admin.

Hiding them removes them from the admin share list too (though you can see them if you look at the data volume).  You can still access them locally (for instance by creating a desktop shortcut for the share).

Still, it's at best a workaound. You should post this in the exchange, I think other people would like this feature.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@dima12 wrote:

I just want these two shares to be accessible only from the local network, but not remotely.

Disabling ReadyCloud on a share-by-share basis would be a good feature, so perhaps you should post it in the idea exchange. Right now you can block the ReadyCloud user accounts from having access, but not admin.

You might try hiding the shares - not sure how ReadyCloud deals with that, but if you're lucky it won't show them.

Message 2 of 5
dima12
Aspirant

I mean, I think it's reasonable that you may need to have data on the NAS that needs to be accessed within the network, but it absolutely does not need to be online.

Any idea?

EDIT: sorry, I did not read the first sentence. Thanks, if it's not possible I will hope for a new feature!

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@dima12 wrote:

Hiding them removes them from the admin share list too (though you can see them if you look at the data volume).  You can still access them locally (for instance by creating a desktop shortcut for the share).

Still, it's at best a workaound. You should post this in the exchange, I think other people would like this feature.

Message 4 of 5
dima12
Aspirant

Cool! I tried again it actually is a pretty decent workaround for this! I suppose those shares are still somehow accessible if someone wants to get to them, but it will be harder! Thank you very much!

I posted this in the ideas exchange anyway since it would be cool to have an actual feature for this.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements