Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RN316 link with Dropbox

aomran
Aspirant

Netgear RN316 link with Dropbox

Hi,

I'm looking to buy 5 NAS stroage for our company, and I selected this brand because I'm able to link it with Dropbox, I have in my mind sceinario to link the NASs together with Dropbox account ,and below a short view of my vision:

NAS.JPG

My scenario says:
1- I have Dropbox business plan with unlimited stroage
2- At each branch I have a NAS storage and I defined on it an Dropbox account 
3- I made shared folder between thw two Dropbox accounts as shown in the above figure
4- I need let the local NAS users in the two location use the shared folder 

My friend has similar NAS in his office, so I made quick test on it but I found:
1- we can define Dropbox account for sync the files from the NAS TO Cloud , but we can't do the The opposite!, in another mean, I can't selective the folders which existed on the Dropbox to be accessible on the NAS, just it seems 1 way data transfer (NAS to Cloud).
2- After define the account on the NAS , it creates a  new folder on the Drobpox named "App > ReadyNAS" includes the folders whcih synced from the NAS TO Cloud. but the folder looks like has permission"Read only" so I cant' share it with anthoer account! ,
I tried to check the setting from the cloud and from the NAS , but it seems there is no thing chnage that settings for the folder's permssion to let me control it from my end as I need to!.

so is there any way to define a Dropbox account on each NAS and make share folder between the accounts, then let the local NAS users use it locally?

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 13
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear RN316 link with Dropbox

Hello aomran,

For Dropbox you will to sync a local share/folder(NAS) to remote Dropbox folder. And the sync setting can be set  oneway or bidirectional(two way). Please visit this link here for guide about ReadyDrop. 

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 13
aomran
Aspirant

Dear Marty,
Thanks for reply, But I checked it , the user able to sync the folder from the NAS to Dropbox only "oneway".
I didn't find any optios let me select the folders which existed on the Dropbox to make them accessible on the NAS. OR do you mean only the files on the Dropbox/ReadyNas's folder will be sycned with the NAS? , in other mean , I can't sync files from outside Dropbox/ReadyNas folder?

NAS2.JPG

On other hand, as I read the note on the link you sent me:
"Note: The ReadyNAS can only back up shares to your Dropbox account. If you modify the backed-up shares using Dropbox, the changes will not be reflected in the shares on your ReadyNAS"

So I can't make any action to share ReadyNas folder from the Dropbox with another Dropbox accoutn, otherwise I will lost the controle on it ?

Message 3 of 13
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello aomran,

The ReadyDrop has an option for bidirectional sync, meaning changes made on the Dropbox folder will reflect on the NAS share/folder where it is sync to and vice versa. The last time I setup ReadyDrop was on NAS that was running on firmware version 6.7.5(latest) and the bidirectional sync option was there, please make your NAS is running on the latest firmware version available. And on the ReadyDrop setup process you will be ask to select a local path(NAS share/folder) to sync to remote path(Dropbox folder) and then select the type of sync direction.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 13
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello aomran,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 13
aomran
Aspirant

Hi Marty,

I'm going to upgrade the firmware this week, I will accept the soltuion after make the test.

Best regards,

Ahmad

Message 6 of 13
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello aomran,

Let us see if upgrading the firmware will make any difference in the behavior of the NAS.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 13
aomran
Aspirant

Dear Marty,
I did my test and I found what I need in the new firmware version, that's a great to have bidirectional sync option!, but I have question about it:
-How many sync sessions can I create after link with Dropbox?

.....................................................................................................

Also I have 2 points I need toask about:
1- I created a folder called "Files" and created sub-folder called "Work" , I found that I can make permission on the root folder , but I can't do the same on the sub-folder, so is there any option let me make permission on the sub-folders?

2- Is the NAS Model: RN314 working on the 6.7.5(latest) firmware?

Kind regards,

Ahmad

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@aomran wrote:

1- I created a folder called "Files" and created sub-folder called "Work" , I found that I can make permission on the root folder , but I can't do the same on the sub-folder, so is there any option let me make permission on the sub-folders?

You can right-click on the subfolder in Windows, and set file permissions there.

Though personally I recommend creating a Work share instead, and manage network permissions instead of file permissions.

@aomran wrote:

2- Is the NAS Model: RN314 working on the 6.7.5(latest) firmware?

It is the current release.  6.8.0 is at release candidate 1 (and has been a public beta for some time).  My guess is that will be released shortly - though I have no inside scoop on that.

Message 9 of 13
aomran
Aspirant

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for reply,

Regarding the 6.8.0 firmware for NAS RN314 , is that firmware supports bidirectional sync with Dropbox?

Regards,

Ahmad

Message 10 of 13
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello aomran,

The release notes of the firmware version 6.8.0 do does not state any changes in the setting of ReadyDrop, for that reason yes the firmware supports bidirectional sync with Dropbox.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 13
aomran
Aspirant

Dear Marty,

Thanks, noted about the firmware.

Final question to make decision:

1- What is the Operating system environment that the NAS is working on, is it Linux?
2-I read on the specs that is implemented internally antivirus, so I need to ask about the security level against the Ransomware ?

Kind Regards,

Ahmad

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@aomran wrote:

1- What is the Operating system environment that the NAS is working on, is it Linux?

Yes.  You can access the shell with ssh, though there are some support implications (https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides)

@aomran wrote:

2-I read on the specs that is implemented internally antivirus, so I need to ask about the security level against the Ransomware ?

It uses ClamAV, you can research that at http://www.clamav.net/

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements