Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with cloud users and reinviting them

Björn_Eberhardt
Aspirant

Problems with cloud users and reinviting them

So I have sent a couple of invitations to some Email-addresses, some of which already have a ReadyCloud-account, and some who don't. I have issues with all of the following classes of users:

• Users who already had a ReadyNAS account and clicked the Invitation link - it worked for a day, then the share disappeared from their views
  • Users who created a new ReadyNAS account - when they missed the invitation confirmation screen after signing up, they don't have the share
  • Users who waited too long to read the invitation email and whose link expired

I had already added them to a number of permissions and shares. So far, the only way to fix this is to delete the users in the "manage" section, reenter them as a share and hope that it works better this time. In the "manage" section, those problematic users appear with a "mail" icon instead of a "cloud user" symbol. There, the only option was to delete them.

Having done this, for the 2nd group of users, it finally works. For the 1st group of users, confirming the invitation took a minute to process, and then a message appeared "Invitation failed. Please inform the sender.", and their ticket also expired. Maybe the ReadyCloud website is a bit overloaded at this time. I don't have a response for the 3rd group of users yet.

Message 1 of 21
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Problems with cloud users and reinviting them

Hello,

when inviting new users to access a share via ReadyCLOUD please make sure that neither the username nor the email-address of the ReadyCLOUD user is equal to a username or email-address of a local user on the ReadyNAS.

Please note that the ReadyCLOUD username is case-sensitive. Ignoring this will not generate an error message. However, it may prevent shares to be displayed on the ReadyCLOUD website.

Did the share disappear for several users at the same time?

For users who missed the invitation screen, what happened if they clicked on the email-link again?

Bye,

Eskender

Message 2 of 21
Björn_Eberhardt
Aspirant

In my installation, there are currently no local users apart from admin, root, guest, nobody, ftp, ReadyNAS etc. and the synchronized cloud users.

Users who have registered or logged in using the link provided in their invitation emails are (potentially) shown an invite confirmation screen. No matter whether they accept or close them, for whatever reasons, the invitation ticket then expires, and re-clicking the link did not work.

• User type A hit the "close" button, not seeing that one should instead click on "accept".
  • User type B did not see any confirmation window, but struggled with the registration form, reloaded the registration page, etc.
  • User type C hit the "accept" button, but after 2 minutes of waiting, the invitation process failed (possibly due to the ReadyCloud website being overloaded)

Re-issuing an invitation required deleting the user from ReadyCloud and sharing all the shares again.

I will check if logging in on ReadyCloud with a user-name with wrong case might cause the shares to disappear...

Message 3 of 21
Björn_Eberhardt
Aspirant

I never seem to get it work with the aforementioned "type C".

I've been deleting and re-inviting him a couple of times already.

Deleting: Log in as ReadyCloud manager, click "Manage", select user (with mail icon) and delete.

Re-invite: Go to "shares", select a share, and share with the email address, confirm.

Accepting: Open email, click link, login into already registered ReadyCloud user and click accept. The following message appears for two minutes, after which the second message appears. Clicking the link a second time shows that the ticket is already expired.

readycloud1.png

readycloud2.png

Message 4 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Björn_Eberhardt,

I have this tested and it is working on my end. I hope you can have another try. If the same issue persists, please contact our support team and have it reported.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community

Message 5 of 21
rrentrop
Aspirant

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I share my ReadyNAS 104 with about 20 people. About half of them failed to register properly when they clicked the invitation link. An account would be created but the icon remained an envelope rather than the person on a cloud. Deleting the user and retrying usually works on the second or third try.

I have resorted to using my Gmail account with aliases for each user and registering them myself so they don't have to got through this multiple times. Even then, it fails half the time. there is definately an issue as I am following the correct procedure. I've even reset my ReadyNAS to factory and started over but the issue persists.

Message 6 of 21
Björn_Eberhardt
Aspirant

This may or may not update the user's email addresses in the .passwd file. But I don't know if that is any important. By the way, I couldn't continue trying recently, because my X-RAID2 was busy expanding until yesterday. Will continue trying this evening (in 3-4 hours).

Message 7 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Björn_Eberhardt,

I hope you could try to invite the same email addresses again after the volume resync completes. I am upbeat that this will work fine this time 🙂

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 8 of 21
Björn_Eberhardt
Aspirant

I was still struggling with Username01ButLong. This time, I wanted to unregister and register him on Readycloud again. I just thought...

Why not try a shorter username this time? Instead of 17 characters, it has now 10 characters. It *finally* worked 😄

However I don't know if this remaining zombie name or the doubling of Bob with his email address will be an issue or can be ignored.

Brad is the one who has never looked into his inbox. The names on the Screenshot are changed, of course 😉

readycloud3.png

Either the cloudless mannequins on bottom were the problem, or the length of the username. I don't know.

Message 9 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Björn_Eberhardt,

You can remove the said usernames (without the "cloud icon") on the device admin page on the cloud tab under ReadyNAS Remote users. Also you can delete these usernames if you want or just ignore them.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community

Message 10 of 21
GeorgeCharlton
Aspirant

Hi

Was this issue resolved??

I am gaving a very similar issue when trying to add cloud users to my readynas.

Regards

George

Message 11 of 21
meethyl
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same issue. 

Please post if there is a solution.

Message 12 of 21
mikebrainchild
Aspirant

Same issue here. Cannot add new users as I get the invitation not confirmed please contact the sender error when attempting to confirm. Interesting to note that the cloud user icon I attempted to add is NOT the envelope any more. I've tried multiple attempts over 2 days with 2 different email addresses (alias for the 2nd).

I don't see a clear solution?

Message 13 of 21
TimenGaby
Aspirant

Hi guys...

I invited a couple of persons (2 users on the first day) and after that it didnt worked anymore. What I did in the next days is as follows:

1. I went to readycloud.netgear.com and signed in as admin

2. I added a new folder (test folder) to try to use this folder as a shared folder and test read and write/read

3. I invited 4 different new email adresses at the share menu, clicked on add and finished off with finish button. I invited them with time lapse in between (each approx an hour)

4. nothing received in my inbox, spam, junk, etc..... in none of the email boxes.

5. went to the admin page

6. looked at the settings per folder and specific that folder. reclicked the correct settings and pressed ok (or whatever that button is called :D)

7. looked at accounts, cloudusers and all the invites with an envolop where mentioned (samewas at the manage tab in the ready cloud page)

8 went to the cloud tab in the admin environment. clicked on the accounts button and for one email adress I made a new account

9. email received that an account was made.

10. went to the readycloud page and added that email adress with that account and account was seen, pressed add, finish

11 received an email, clicked the link and pop up mentions invitation expired.............. :S

What is the correct way of sharing folders because from the tutorial it just looks like putting an email adress in, press add, finish and voila :D. email send from netgear to potential user, press link and done and dusted.....

Please help because it greatly reduces the user friendiless of the system and basically also the whole functionality .......

Message 14 of 21
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

@TimenGaby wrote:

4. nothing received in my inbox, spam, junk, etc..... in none of the email boxes.

Just to rule out that the ReadyNAS is at fault when none of the recipients received an email. Are those email addresses by any chance Hotmail, Outlook, or any other Microsoft related email addresses? In some cases Microsoft seems to have a problem with emails from ReadyCLOUD and the emails will not show up anywhere. You will need to add readycloud@netgear.com to the safe list of these email accounts.

@TimenGaby wrote:

6. looked at the settings per folder and specific that folder. reclicked the correct settings and pressed ok (or whatever that button is called...

Access restrictions to shares for ReadyCLOUD users can only be configured on the ReadyCLOUD webpage. Access restrictions can be set during the invitation process or later on using the webpage. The local admin page on the other side is mostly for configuring local access. You will see that once the invitation process works the ReadyCLOUD users will also show up on the access restrictions settings of relevant shares on the local admin page. However, these settings cannot be changed on the admin page.

@TimenGaby wrote:

8. went to the cloud tab in the admin environment. clicked on the accounts button and for one email adress I made a new account

Please do not create local user accounts with an email address already used for a ReadyCLOUD user and v.v.

@TimenGaby wrote:

11. received an email, clicked the link and pop up mentions invitation expired.............. :S

When you click the link to accept the invitation please make sure that the ReadyCLOUD admin is logged out of the ReadyCLOUD webpage at that time.

@TimenGaby wrote:

What is the correct way of sharing folders because from the tutorial it just looks like putting an email adress in, press add, finish and voila :D. email send from netgear to potential user, press link and done and dusted.....

This is actually the correct way. I am not sure why the process is not working on your machine at this time.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 15 of 21
meethyl
Aspirant

Doing the right thing and still not working.

It is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Can netgear please resolve this issue?

Message 16 of 21
AlfredGutierrez
Aspirant

Hello,

Same issue here using ReadyNas2120with firmware 6.2.0.

It worked for some days and then providers called me that the folders "disappeared". Admin loggin could all files but most of users had lost the capacity of accesing the folders that were asigned to them.

Weird....

Message 17 of 21
Alfred_GS
Aspirant

Hello, I have got in contact with a employee of Netgear and they are investigation this issue. Hope we can get a solution for this, or at least know what is causing this! Regards

Message 18 of 21
Alfred_GS
Aspirant

The netgear employee nas not given us feedback but i can say that we have started the readycloud service in another NAS with the latest firmware 6.4.0 and is working fine.

I will test the system and come back with feedback.

Regards

Message 19 of 21
Alfred_GS
Aspirant

This issue has been resolved with the new update in our particular case.

Regards

Message 20 of 21
Alfred_GS
Aspirant

The very exact issue has reproduced! 

We have several users that are not able to be added. We have tried with new users, already readycloud users and users from inside and outside of the organization.

The firmware that we use is 6.4.0 that was working just fine...

Someone has experienced the same issue?

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements