Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCLOUD PC Client issues & General Beginner Help

ranc
Aspirant

ReadyCLOUD PC Client issues & General Beginner Help

Hi there,

I've got a couple of issues I can't seem to find resolve myself or find answers on these forums (although a few others appear to have had same issues in past):

1. Have downloaded readycloud client onto my 2 laptops and on one it works but on the other I can't get it past the "initialising" point. Have uinstalled / reinstalled / rebooted in various configs but nada.   When I start the client, i see it flash in the system tray for a nanosecond and then it's gone .. allegedly initialising but it never gets there.  No idea what is upsetting it - any thoughts pls?  Several others seem to have run into this problem in the past but it doesn't look like it's every been resolved.

2.  On the machine where the readycloud client is working, the sync menu for each folder isn't really a menu at all, since mine only gives 1 option :"sync with PC".  I don't want to sync my entire NAS documents with any of my machines .. I want to sync different subfolders with different machines.  I could just create that tree in the NAS map but 1) they're not discrete entities (i.e., some folders will go to many machines and some will only go to one) and 2) surely I shouldn't have to do this?  The local client should be able to manage syncing at a subfolder level .. shouldn't it?  I'm hoping I'm just missing a really basic point here so would appreciate it if somebody could set me straight.

3. I've played around with some test folders to get the hang of it and I can't find where to change default readycloud syncing folder (e.g., currently for pictures: \USERS\USERID\ReadyCLOUD\Pictures(NASNAME)\  .. doesn't fit in with my file structure at all and I want to change it.  How?

Thanks for any pointers, and if anyone can point me to some sort of 101 or Dummies setup guide it would save me a whole load of time.  I've spent a lot of time searching for these answers online as well as for tutorials, but other than a handful of 2 min youtubes on how to get things out of the box plus a seamless run through of netcloud with no hiccups I can't find anything to get a learner up and running.

Thanks

Ros

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyCLOUD PC Client issues & General Beginner Help

Hi ranc,

Try this on the PC where it gets stuck at initialize or initializing state.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

Are these PCs connected on the same network? What are the OS running (the one that works and the other one that doesn't) in both machines? Using the ReadyCLOUD desktop app to backup folders (default PC folders) creates shares on the ReadyNAS once the sync has been created and started. If all (PCs and NAS) are on the same network the best solution to backup specific folders in each PC, is to create individual backup jobs. You may want to check the articles below for more information.

Creating a backup job - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23420/~/how-do-i-create-a-backup-job-on-my-readynas-os...

Modifying a backup job - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26443

Windows PC backup - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24913/~/how-do-i-backup-my-windows-pc-to-a-readynas-os...

ReadyCLOUD PC and mobile backup - http://www.netgear.fr/images/pdf/NETGEAR_Reviewer%20Guide_ReadyNAS_6_2_18Nov14_EN.PDF

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 16
ranc
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm still stuck and TBH have thrown this whole thing in the too hard basket because I'm flat out with work and have no time to troubleshoot this.  I understand how to get backups workign but that's not what I want - I want to get the sync function moving, that's a huge part of why I got this system - so my various devices can be syncing continuously the data that I want them to be.  

The last few weeks I've just been working at home directly off the NAS which is fine.  2 things have changed which have brought me back to try and trouble shoot this again.

1. Had critically important meeting Fri and forgot data was no longer on my local drive and all on my NAS.  #(*&$^&*(@.  Could access via readycloud web portal (or whatever it's called) but unfortunately we in Australia have 3rd world internet speeds so trying to access docs took over a min a pc .. and that was a for a plain text word doc.  

2.  on Sunday I noticed the Readycloud PC Client had initialised on Laptop 2 (which it previously didn't) - no idea what changed .. I thought maybe there had been an update that had come through that had fixed it.  I've just turned that machine on again and unfortunately it's again not initialising (slaps forehead).

2.  So going back to your original questions:

a. yes both on home network.

b. O/S:  The one that readycloud app works on Laptop 1 (Work) = Windows 7 enterprise.  The one it didn't initialise on (or did briefly)  / Laptop 2 = Windows 7Pro.

Maybe there's something from the event log or somewhere that will give more detail as to why the 2nd laptop won't initalise (but did on weekend).  It's bizarre.  Laptop 2 hasn't left the house.  Laptop 1 was the one that went out of town with me for above meeting.  It did connect in to another network several times while I was out of town (a family member's home one).

This is all beyond me - clearly - but it's causing me a massive amount of waste time and aggravation and I need to get this fixed.

Is there a helpline I can speak to?  

Thanks

Ros

Message 3 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

Speed of file access via ReadyCLOUD may vary or it will depend on the speed of the internet connection. You can alternatively use FTP on your ReadyNAS and use a FTP client on your PC for ease of access. I would also like to know if you are using different ReadyCLOUD user IDs in both PCs? Lastly, Ensure AV, Firewall or other Security software doens't restrict or block the client from connecting to internet (network).

If you want to speak or at least have a chat session with our support team, you can contact them here.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 4 of 16
ranc
Aspirant

Thanks Brian.

No, I am not using different readycloud userID's - is this preferred?  Your question made me wonder if the readycloud client wasn't happy to have 2 devices logged in with same id so I tried that out but didn't solve it i.e., shutdown Laptop 1 and restarted Laptop 2 to see if Laptop 2 would initialise.

Is there a sync 101 document somewhere.

Thanks for support team link.  Will let you know how I get on!

Ros

Message 5 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

I have tested it with two PCs and it allowed to login using the same ReadyCloud ID. Try to have a fresh install of the Desktop App again and ensure that when it prompts you to allow the program through your firewall or windows firewall, ensure its checked. Also have a look at this document.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 6 of 16
ranc
Aspirant

Thanks Brian.

I had an hour on the phone to the Netgear support guys yesterday so thanks for that link although unfortunately we got absolutely nowhere. 

He said it was a known problem with Windows 7 Pro so I'm all ears on that one.

I did a reinstall and disabled my AV but no dice.  Interestingly I don't remember at any point getting asked if I woudl allow it through firewall as per your post so if you could pls clarify that and if need be I'll use those instructions and do another install.

I use the Norton Internet Security suite in case that makes any sort of difference. 

What is absolutely bizarre about this whole situation is that for a short time there on the weekend it was able to connect.  But have never been able to recreate that.  I thought maybe there would be something in the Event Log or SOMETHING that would help tease that one out but the helpdesk guy didn't think so.

So I'm all ears to anyone that can help on this.  I'm at that stage of wanting to hurl my laptop out the window with the NAS box following close behind.  If I sound frustrated ...

Message 7 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

I will check the ticket that you have opened with our support group and see if it will require escalation.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 8 of 16
ranc
Aspirant

Thanks Brian, case # 25688011 if that's helpful.

So that's the 2nd laptop won't initialise problem.  My more burning issue still to be sorted out is the whole backup vs sync without duplication issue on my work laptop .. which does have the readycloud client app working. 

I found someone having the exact same problems who describes it pretty clearly on this thread albeit s/he is on a mac.

Message 9 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

In your case, can you tell me the ReadyCLOUD desktop app version/s that you've used? The problem on the other thread was the same but the desktop app that the other using is unofficial. I have also checked your case and asked them(support) to escalate it.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 10 of 16
ranc
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

On my work laptop it.s V 1.6.1216.307

I've  just done a check version and it says that's the latest one.

Ros

Message 11 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

Would it be okay if you will try to use the latest ReadyCLOUD desktop app for Windows? You can get the file here.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 12 of 16
ranc
Aspirant

Sure Brian, happy to try anything.

Which of the problems do you hope this will fix - initialisation on laptop or the sync/backup issue as per the dwad thread?

Thanks,

Ros

Message 13 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

Try this on the PC where it gets stuck at initialize or initializing state.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 14 of 16
ranc
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Thank you - this seems to have fixed the other laptop. Woman HappyWoman Very Happy Let's hope the fix holds as it was working for a while.

Appreciate your help on this and I will post another thread re the readycloud client.

Thank you.

Ros

Message 15 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ranc,

That's good news! Just keep an eye on it and hopefully the problem won't reoccur.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements