Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCLOUD is unable to discover ReadyNAS102 after MyNetgear migration

10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

ReadyCLOUD is unable to discover ReadyNAS102 after MyNetgear migration

Hi all,

I'm here to ask for help after a frustrating and unsuccessful migration to MyNetgear. My ReadyNAS 102, now running OS 6.5.1, is all set up for shares via AFP and SMB, which work well. The 102 was perfectly accessible under 6.4.1. and the prior ReadyCLOUD service, which sadly now is defunct. After migrating my account to MyNetgear and deleting my 102, after failing to access it after migration, there is no obvious way to discover it through the ReadyCLOUD web interface. 

The 102 web admin interface page > CLOUD tab states the NAS is logged in, it shows the right ReadyCLOUD user name. Still the ReadyCLOUD web admin page doesn't list my device, and it fails to discover it using the power button and retry method. Trying to disable ReadyCLOUD and deleting the RC user didn't help either, as this doesn't seem to work at all. Clearing browser caches after updating to 6.5.1. only helped to access the updated CLOUD tab page—this was not mentioned anywhere and I'm glad having tried this at all.

What can I do, apart from backing up all my data and reset the 102 to factory standards and setting it up from scratch once again? That was the only way to provide a working ReadyCLOUD access when I first bought it. 

Regards, Pat

Message 1 of 18
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 10X,

Can you confirm if your migrated ReadyCLOUD (SSO) login is being used as an e-mail address by your local ReadyNAS users? Also, tell us if you have files stored in your ReadyCLOUD private home shares. If you want to detect your ReadyNAS (locally), I suggest that you use the RAIDar utility.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 18
10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brian, thanks for chiming in.

I've set up only an admin account, there are no other users apart from one dedicated Cloud user (me). When I'm back on-site, I can check which mail address is associated to admin, but I doubt there is any (can't remember having done that). No home dirs are being used. I'm familiar with RAIDar, which offers no functionality for linking (in order to access the 102 off-site via ReadyCLOUD services) ReadyCLOUD with the 102. If it does, please elaborate.

Kind regards, Pat

Message 3 of 18
AbraJNA
Aspirant

I have the same model and since the last update have not been able to access the 102 remotely.

I had huge issues after the last update and still cannot access the R102 with the pc I did the upgrade on.

Pretty fed up and looking at changing to a different suppler.

Message 4 of 18
gpaolo
Luminary

Hi, I have a R314 and I had a similar issue. I am not sure if this was the fundamental step, but one of the things I changed before being able to have my NAS discovered was the email address of one of the users. The ReadyCloud account and the user account had the same email address. Once I changed the user address (and unregistered the NAS from ReadyCloud services, tried the offline method, tried the manual method...) and I relogged in on the Cloud configuration page, the NAS "magically" appeared on the ReadyCloud web page.

I hope it helps!

Regards

Message 5 of 18
10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks gpaolo, I'll definitely have to look into this when I'm back on-site in a few days.

Kind regards, Pat

Message 6 of 18
AbraJNA
Aspirant

Hi - That worked exactly as described - I am so grateful for your help - countless emails with Netgear support failed to resolve the problem - you are the Master, Thanks

Message 7 of 18
gpaolo
Luminary

Good! I am glad it has worked. Let's hope that it is the solution also for everybody else!

Message 8 of 18
10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

Back on-site I assigned a new email address to my RC account, which was etc@xyz.xyz and now is pat@xyz.xyz. On the 102, the only users are "admin" (local, no address assigned) and "kelloggs" (RC, etc@xyz.xyz). My own MyNetgear account had the same address as "kelloggs", so I changed the MyNetgear account address to pat@xyz.xyz. On the 102, it's impossible to remove the RC user "kelloggs" (etc@xyz.xyz): "This device is joined to RC. To remove a user, visit RC." In the admin panel of the 102, Cloud tab, right under ReadyCLOUD, I can see "Signed in as kelloggs". Back on RC, now with a different address assigned to my account, there is nothing to discover (a NAS), and nothing to manage (the remaining user with a potentially conflicting address as suggested here). 

I still can't access my 102 remotely, and I'm more and more disappointed because of this—from a users point of view unnecessary—migration, which breaks functionality the users depend on. Usually, one would expect a streamlined, all-in-one access to all features with one account to master all tasks. Now I have a MyNetgear account, a RC account, a local account, and no remote access, which is the main reason to opt for a NAS. This user experience is horrible.

Message 9 of 18
gpaolo
Luminary

10X, I have got a bit lost with your users and emails...

Let me try to repeat better what I did and then you can check if you made the same step.

I will use numbers for users and letters for emails, so it will be easier.

My RC account was on email A.

On the NAS, under "users" tab, user 1 had email A, user 2 email B and user 3 email C. 

On the NAS, under "cloud users" tab, I had user 4 with email A.

In this configuration, the NAS was never online.

On the NAS under "users" tab, I change user 1 email to D. Nothing else.

Then on the NAS under "cloud" tab, I have removed the account.

I have loggen on the RC webpage and removed the NAS.

Then I went back to the NAS and I relogged with the RC account in the "cloud" tab.

After this I had the NAS visible and online in RC website. I honestly do not remember if I had to search for it (i tried both online and offline with raidar at some point) or if it came online by itself...

Message 10 of 18
10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

gpaolo, thanks for contributing, but I find your answer hard to follow as well. I do not have that many users, there is just the admin user on the NAS and a RC user, that's about it, apart from that extra MyNetgear account (thank you Netgear for adding an extra unnecessary account). The NAS admin user has no email address at all.

The point here is, that the NAS still reports an old email address associated with the RC user, it's clear that somewhere in the process the RC user did not get updated correctly. This RC user can't either be deleted from the NAS (although there is an option on the admin panel on the NAS, it just reports an error to direct you to RC itself, where the NAS doesn't show up at all), furthermore the NAS clearly states to be connected to RC via this account, but on RC the NAS doesn't show up, making it impossible to remove the NAS from that RC account. I am essentially lost at this part. If you, Netgear, think this is logical, practical, user-friendly, then I shall stay away from Netgear products from now on. I really don't want to know what's happening with your more feature-rich products.

It tells a lot that you'd rather get help from other users than from Netgear staff themselves, maybe because selling care-plans and telephone assistance is what this is about. Given there's apparently nothing enabling me to jump out of this infinite loop, I'll have to buy an external HD to save all my data, then reset the NAS to factory settings anew. Yes, been there already, as my first attempt at setting up the now old and defunct RC access was unsuccessful too, it only worked out after a factory reset.

I wish I had terminal access and root here … 

Message 11 of 18
gpaolo
Luminary

I am sorry 10X, I don´t have any other idea. In my case, this worked. 

I think that the main difference is that I have changed the email of the NAS user, while you tried to change the email of the RC account. 

Is there no reset function before doing a factory reset? I think there should be something to avoid loosing all the data...

Message 12 of 18
10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your compassionate answer, gpaolo. As I said, there is no (obvious) way to change the address of this NAS user, there is just the bare admin account and no one else. This admin account does not feature an address anywhere. Of course there is a factory reset, which I wrote will be my next step, failing other viable ways (hello Netgear, are you monitoring the forums and care for the trouble us users have?), but you have to backup your data elsewhere, as a factory reset erases them. If I still had the chance to return the NAS and get my money back, it would have happened many weeks ago.

Concluding this, cloud services (ie. the free and open-source based OwnCloud) are the way to go, eliminating the hassle caused by half-baked closed-source appliances. Lesson learned.

Message 13 of 18
10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I've bought a backup HD to save all files, did a factory reset, setup a new MyNetgear account with a different address. Again, there is only the admin user given, no mail address has been entered anywhere on the NAS. Going to the Cloud tab, switching on ReadyCloud, I enter my MyNetgear account credentials, and none of the three accounts I have created are accepted. The first ever account I had, which was migrated from the old ReadyCloud gives this error:

Local user with the same name already exists. Change local or ReadyCloud user name.

All other accounts don't report this error. There is no obvious way to get past that authentication. 

I have tried to install OwnCloud as an application, but not even that would do, as this only leads to restart the admin panel with that dreaded progress bar.

Dear Netgear techs, what's going on here? 

Message 14 of 18
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 10X,

Can you check if your ReadyNAS device goes to the internet properly? Like check if it can get the automatic (firmware) updates, or download app through the apps tab. Also, I would like to know if your RC account is entered under the Cloud tab, does both Internet & Service marked online?

Looking forward to your respond.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 10X,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 16 of 18
10X
Aspirant
Aspirant

I brought the NAS home to work on it in my spare time, here I managed to configure the RC access without a hitch. Concluding this, internet access might have been flaky for the NAS, which never was the case for all other devices connecting to this LAN, LAN access to the NAS was inconspicuous at all times. Will have to see how it performs once it's back on-site. 

Message 17 of 18
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 10X,

If you are still having ReadyCLOUD, internet services, and LAN access issues with your ReadyNAS, it would be better if you will reach our support team to resolve them. Take advantage of your phone, e-mail and chat support from NETGEAR support.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements