Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCLOUD not uploading pictures from Iphone

424User
Tutor

ReadyCLOUD not uploading pictures from Iphone

I am unable to upload pictures from my Iphone (IOS) using the Netgear ReadyCLOUD app (version 2.0.0, (2027)).  I have an ReadyNAS 104, running firmware 6.9.1.   I’m not exactly sure when the problem started but I use to be able to just run the app from my phone and it would upload the pictures to my NAS.  Now it shows me a status update but it doesn’t progress.  I attempted to create another account and see if it was perhaps a user access(rights) problem, and it started updating but then stopped.   I am back to square one.  Please help.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyCLOUD not uploading pictures from Iphone

Hi @424User

This has been reported and is now being investigated. May I know the location you are in?

It would be best if you can contact NETGEAR Support so they can open a case for you and be included on the investigation.

Regards

Message 2 of 14
Saginus
Aspirant

Netgear has the worst possible customer service .. I reported the same issue back in November 2017 and still no update.. idiots keep saying their engineering team is looking into it but morons have not been able to identify the cause and fix the problem. Can’t belive this is what we get for $250 router.
Message 3 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Saginus

Welcome to the Community!

Are you using ReadyCloud on ReadyNAS or on a Nighthawk router? If you are using a router you will have to post to the correct board so they can properly assist you.

If you reported an issue with a ReadyNAS system do you still have your case number? if not, I would suggest contacting NETGEAR Support so they can assist you on testing a ReadyCloud app build if possible. It is important that user experience on the issue gets included on the investigation so they can properly create a resolution.

Regards

Message 4 of 14
Saginus
Aspirant

Case number 29491377
NO UPDATE SINCE I OPENED IT. More than 3 months, hence the comment- worst possible customer service.
Message 5 of 14
jimwf76
Aspirant

I agree with the comments about the terrible customer service.  I was told months ago to wait for an update app for the iPhone due to errors when attempting to back up pictures from my phone to my ReadyNAS device.  Since I waited "too long" between responses, they closed my case and now the 90 support warranty is expired and I have no way of contacting anyone unless I pay for additional support.  I have a $350 paper weight and you want more money to not fix my problem?  Absolutely useless!  Maybe someone will read this and be able to help me.....lol 

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 6 of 14
jimwf76
Aspirant

Support casr number 29462844 closed due to incompetence

Message 7 of 14
Vzero00
Guide

Any update from the Engineering side for the iOS App, experiencing same or similar problem. Version 2.0.2 on iOS 11.4.1 iphone 7. 

App will upload 2-3 picture than get stuck. Disable and Enable will repeat the same issue (ie uploads 2-3 pictures).  Any possible fix? 

UPdates? 

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 8 of 14
Vzero00
Guide

Like to provide some data and details.

I have a Samsung S7 that works flawlessly, issue is only with iOS devices.

Using a iPhone 5 and iPhone 7 the app provides two different behaviors. 

Please note both iPhone were connected via Wifi ONLY.

iPhone 5 will error out a message "Internal Server Error (500)" when the upload hangs.

iPhone 7 will just hang and show NO errors.

I was able to do a port sniff on the traffic towards the NAS to determine the following.

The Samsung S7 seems to be using TCP to do transfer when on WiFi and uses HTTP when on LTE.

The iOS devices seems to use an alternatives method through the internet via Amazon Data Center (guessing due to NSLOOKUP of IP Addresses)

Non-authoritative answer:
8.145.86.54.in-addr.arpa	name = ec2-54-86-145-8.compute-1.amazonaws.com

After mulitple testing, the following list of IP addresses was compiled.

54.86.145.8 <-- ALWAYS HANGS on this server

As shown in the screen capture below, the last server disconnect packet is always stuck on 54.86.145.8. 

RST ACK Trace.jpg

Both iPhone 5 and iPhone 7 behaves the same. 

The first question to the engineer for the iOS app is why isn't the iOS devices using local IP addresses to reach the NAS when on WiFi?

IF there is restrictions becuase of iOS coding, there need to be an investigation towards why that last server is causing issues to prevent uploading. 

As it seem there are multiple servers to do load balancing for traffic purposes, there could be an issue to one particular server that need to be addressed (assume by Amazon Data Center folks).

Please follow up on the data above and please fix ASAP. 

Thanks

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 9 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still see this on ReadyNAS OS 6.9.4-T56? There are a number of ReadyCLOUD related fixes mentioned in the Release Notes.

Message 10 of 14
Vzero00
Guide

I have never attempted to use any Beta Firmware as of yet. 

But thank you for the feedback, I will attempt to install this firmware and report back if the issue is still occuring or not. 

Message 11 of 14
Vzero00
Guide

Same issue, this is a server problem where the iOS APP tries to reach out to that particular server and it doesn't respond back properly which in turn hangs the uploading.

Again I have updated to the recommended beta firmware and the iPhone still behaves the same, roughly 3 pictures and than the 4th picture uploads 1/5th of the bar and hangs. 

Please kindly escalate and replicate the issue by doing a port mirroring on a switch. 

54.86.145.8 <-- ALWAYS HANGS on this server

Message 12 of 14
jimwf76
Aspirant

I see you are in the same unfortunate scenario that I have been in since February. Unfortunately I was in contact with Netgear support in reference to the issue. They eventually said that there will be an app update available at some point that will rectify the issue. After 2 months, the tech support closed my claim and my warranty for the tech support expired. I can’t get through to anyone unless I pay the tech support monthly fee. I have a $300 paper weight. I can tell you that I will never buy anything from them again. I still watch the forums to see if anyone else found a fix, but like I said, this has been since February. Best of luck.
Message 13 of 14
Vzero00
Guide

Just want to indicate that the update of the beta firmware didn't seem to fix the issue.

Do see a tad change when tracing the traffic. It seems it could be related to IPv6 address used for the server. I'm still testing. But the behaviour is still the same. Every 3 pictures or so it hangs on upload. Now i do want to also mentioned that I got the NAS 212 in April of 2018. When I first installed it to my network it was fine, my iPhone was able to upload with NO issues (we are talking about 1000's of photos). But now its every 3 pictures i have to enable and disable the backup feature. Could you possibly push this information forward to the engineers/developer. I don't mind providing more data needed to fix this issue. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements