Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCloud Snapshots

Geronimo88
Guide

ReadyCloud Snapshots

I have a load of snapshots taking up space on my drive, I'd like to delete them but can't find them anywhere, any Idea how to remove these?

Model: RN20441D|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Geronimo88 wrote:

I've just tried to delete the others, how do I delte these two:

ID 272 gen 28173 top level 271 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots

ID 2876 gen 27761 top level 272 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots/231/snapshot

I'd leave the first one alone. It should be empty once you get rid of 231.

For the second one, just enter 

btrfs sub delete -c  /data/MASTER/.snapshots/231/snapshot

@Geronimo88 wrote:

thanks that freed up a substantial amount of space, how do I stop these snapshots being created everytime I delete something, I run two backups so snapshots is not required. 

Snapshots are also created when a ReadyNAS "push" backup starts. (That is, when the source of the backup is local).  The backup job actually backs up the snapshot.  This ensures the backup is coherent. 

The snapshot is deleted when the backup completes, but there might be some scenarios when that doesn't happen.  For instance, if there is a power loss during the backup, the snapshot might not be deleted.

Overall, my suggestion is look for new snapshots every few days for a bit, and see if you are dealing with a recurring issue or not.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Normally, you click on snapshots on the admin web ui's share page, and then click on each share in the popup window.  That should show you the snapshots, and you can right-click on one (or more) and delete them. 

Are you seeing the snapshots when you do that?

Message 2 of 12
Geronimo88
Guide

No the snapshots are not there! 

Message 3 of 12
Geronimo88
Guide

see attached image.

Message 4 of 12
Geronimo88
Guide

So I did a bit of digging and accessed my drive via SSH, these are the snapshots. any idea how I can remove them?

Last login: Mon Dec 11 13:56:27 2017 from lukes-imac.lan

root@JBSTUDIO:~# btrfs subvolume list -R /data | grep snapshot

ID 272 gen 27619 top level 271 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots

ID 1683 gen 5998 top level 272 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot

ID 2876 gen 27494 top level 272 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots/231/snapshot

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Your screen shot doesn't give me enough context to know that I'm looking at the snapshots screen.

You can try to delete the snapshots in SSH with btrfs sub delete -c pathname

Be careful the path is for the snapshot, you don't want to delete MASTER by mistake.

Message 6 of 12
Geronimo88
Guide

Hi thanks for your response, I put the following in to terminal but it didnt work; what am I doing wrong. I deleted some more stuff from my drive via normal UI and it keeps creating snapshots and not giving me back the space, very confusing as I have diabled snapshots.

Last login: Mon Dec 11 15:20:13 2017 

ID 272 gen 27954 top level 271 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots

ID 1683 gen 27765 top level 272 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot

ID 2876 gen 27761 top level 272 received_uuid - path MASTER/.snapshots/231/snapshot

root@JBSTUDIO:~# btrfs sub delete -c MASTER/.snapshots

ERROR: cannot access subvolume MASTER/.snapshots: No such file or directory

root@JBSTUDIO:~# 

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Your path is wrong - I believe it should start with /MASTER.

Also, each snapshot is a btrfs subvolume.  So maybe try btrfs sub delete -c  /MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot and see if that deletes that particular snapshot.

Are you using ReadyDR backup? 

You might also search in the logs for when these snapshots are being created - that might give you a clue on where they are coming from.

Message 8 of 12
Geronimo88
Guide

I've been using readynasreplicate

this is what I got this time;

root@JBSTUDIO:~# btrfs sub delete -c  /MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot

ERROR: cannot access subvolume /MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot: No such file or directory

logs attached.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Geronimo88 wrote:

root@JBSTUDIO:~# btrfs sub delete -c  /MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot

ERROR: cannot access subvolume /MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot: No such file or directory

Opps, my fault...  I forgot to include the volume in the path.

btrfs sub delete -c  /data/MASTER/.snapshots/2/snapshot

Message 10 of 12
Geronimo88
Guide

thanks that freed up a substantial amount of space, how do I stop these snapshots being created everytime I delete something, I run two backups so snapshots is not required. 

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Geronimo88 wrote:

I'd leave the first one alone. It should be empty once you get rid of 231.

For the second one, just enter 

btrfs sub delete -c  /data/MASTER/.snapshots/231/snapshot

@Geronimo88 wrote:

Snapshots are also created when a ReadyNAS "push" backup starts. (That is, when the source of the backup is local).  The backup job actually backs up the snapshot.  This ensures the backup is coherent. 

The snapshot is deleted when the backup completes, but there might be some scenarios when that doesn't happen.  For instance, if there is a power loss during the backup, the snapshot might not be deleted.

Overall, my suggestion is look for new snapshots every few days for a bit, and see if you are dealing with a recurring issue or not.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements