Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCloud: Strictly an OS 6.x feature, right?

PeteCress
Apprentice

ReadyCloud: Strictly an OS 6.x feature, right?

If so, can anybody point me to the functional analog for my Ultra-6?

Specifically, I am looking for WAN access to the box from my Android devices.

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyCloud: Strictly an OS 6.x feature, right?

Yes, you could upgrade the ultra to run OS 6.

But I think you should consider alternatives to ReadyCloud anyway.  Its performance is quite uneven, and there have been a lot of problems over the past year or so.

I use OpenVPN myself (installed on my Netgear router). Connect with the OpenVPN client app in Android, then use solid explorer or equivalent to access your files on the NAS. 

You can use OwnCloud - which is closer to the ReadyCloud concept.  There's a add-on available for a small cost here: https://rnxtras.com/readynas-os4-x86 There's also an OS 6 app on that site.

ZeroTier is another option if you upgrade to OS-6.  It requires ssh to install though.  There's a thread on that here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ZeroTier-and-the-ReadyNAS/td-p/1163028

Message 3 of 10
PeteCress
Apprentice

I skimmed http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78455&p=439876, but can't find anyplace where he cites his version of RAIDiator.

I am using 4.2.27. 

Will this work with v4.x ?   or is it strictly a v 6 thing?

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I don't know if it can be installed on OS 4.2.x - as I mentioned, my Netgear router has it built-in.

After you install it on the NAS, It can be hard to configure.  

Perhaps someone who's installed it recently will chime in.

Message 5 of 10
PeteCress
Apprentice

I am starting to slog through the stuff on OwnCloud - which, on the surface, sounds promising.

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

You really ought to consider OS6.  Since it's based on a current Debian distro, you will find current add-ons for it.  OS 4.x is ancient and so are most of the apps for it.

But even if you go with OS6, you may want to consider another VPN solution.  An add-on with a GUI s now available for ZeroTier (thanks to NASTools), so SSH install and maintentance is no longer required.  I find it superior in many ways to ReadyCloud.  And if you are familiar with ReadyNAS Remote, it acts much the same, unlike ReadyCloud, but does have more capability, including an Android client.  You use the same user name and user inteface as with your local account, you just get to the NAS via it's ZeroTier address instead of it's LAN address.  On Android, I use ES File Explorer over ZeroTier just like I was accessing the shares on my LAN via WiFi.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

...But even if you go with OS6, you may want to consider another VPN solution. ...

I agree.  Unfortunately ReadyCloud hasn't lived up to expectations.

Message 8 of 10
PeteCress
Apprentice

You really ought to consider OS6.  Since it's based on a current Debian distro, you will find current add-ons for it.  OS 4.x is ancient and so are most of the apps for it.

Now I guess I am back to replacing my kludged-together DriveBender backup server with a 316, promoting the 316 to being my "Production" server, demoting the Ultra-6 to backup server and putting OS6 on it in the process.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@PeteCress wrote:

Now I guess I am back to replacing my kludged-together DriveBender backup server with a 316, promoting the 316 to being my "Production" server, demoting the Ultra-6 to backup server and putting OS6 on it in the process.

Though I agree that you should consider OS6 on the ultra, if it is a backup NAS you can keep it running 4.2.x if you wish.  My Pro-6 is one of my backup NAS, and it is still running 4.2.30.  The next time I need to reset it, I'll probably switch.  But as far as I'm concerned there is no rush.

Steve

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements