Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCloud Windows (10) Client Syncronization Failure

acraigl
Tutor

ReadyCloud Windows (10) Client Syncronization Failure

Hi,

Overall NAS is working great.  However, I just encountered an issue with the windows client and I can't get past it.

I’m simply trying to backup my “Photos” drive on my laptop, but it keeps reporting “Synchronization Failed”. I’m doing nothing more than selecting “Backup PC Folder”, then browsing to the local PC folder. It creates the user directory on the NAS, appears to "index"  but does not copy any files to the server, and constantly reports Synchronization Failed, repeatedly.

Can't imagine I'm doing anything wrong, so any idea why/how to fix?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

Re: ReadyCloud Windows (10) Client Syncronization Failure

So I've tried this on 2 PCs in my house and both have the same issue, so it's definitely something in software. I've given up at this point and have resorted to using windows file history on my wife's laptop to backup her photos. Yes, it's messy and has unnecessary folder depth, but it just works, and is realtime, which is what I was after.

I'm willing to try the client again if someone knows the solution, but at least for now I've got the functionality I was after.

Message 2 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @acraigl

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried using a different Windows version? Do you have any Security software installed and enabled on those computers? You can try to disable them if possible.

Also under the Cloud tab please make sure Both Internet and Services are available. Lastly, Kindly set your router address and 8.8.8.8 as a DNS server under Network and Ethernet settings or you can also set your IP address to Static.

Regards

Message 3 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I only have windows 10 PCs in the house. I don't think there's any connection issue as the client did inform the NAS to create the top-level share -- it simply wouldn't syncronize anything in it after that.

However, I mentioned this on a support exchange on another case, and the tech was able to reproduce this behavior quite easily. He's escalating it to Level 2 and will be getting back to me in a couple of days with their findings.

Message 4 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have any security software installed? You can try to disable that and resync, Also adding the DNS server address might help.

Message 5 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

No security installed (other than what Windows provides by default). I'll try the DNS change, but planning on waiting to see what the tech brings back as he was able to reproduce it locally.

Message 6 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

OK, so they came back with the same recommendations. So I know where to go based on response speed. 🙂

I guess I'm still wondering how any of this can be related since it does create the top-level folder. If there were security or permission issues or whatever, not sure it would even get that far.

And no other problems connectivity-wise -- just with the client. 😕

Message 7 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@acraigl

Is the issue resolved?

If not, Have tried all recommendations? Can you try updating to 6.9.2? Make sure to have a backup first before doing so as best practice.

Regards

Message 8 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

Unforunately, no. I updated to 6.9.2, and reinstialled the app. DNS and static address had no impact either. I tried backing up a new local folder and I got the same result:

The parent directory is created on the NAS, but subdirectories error out with:

Syncronization Failed

Failed to create direcotry xxx/,

reason: Service Unavailable.

I checked and the ReadyCloud HTTP Server service is running on my PC so not sure what else to try?

Message 9 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@acraigl

I just tested it on a Windows 10 PC and got the same issue. However, after disabling Windows Defender, the folders synchronized fine.

I then tried to re-enable Windows Defender and the issue did not occured.

Kindly try to disable Windows defender if you have not tried it yet.

Disabling Windows defender

Message 10 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

Thanks for looking into it. I'll confirm that works when I get home this evening, but is that really a fix? Why should I have to put my entire PC at risk for software that isn't working right with it? I've used plenty of other backup utilities that don't exhibit this issue. It seems like it should be whitelisted on install or something.

Did the toggle work for new files too, or does it "seem" to work because there's nothing new to sync?

Message 11 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Windows Defender might be blocking the App. If you want to you can add ReadyCloud as an exception and try to sync without disabling the feature. Also, after disabling it and running the sync, I re-enabled the Defender and the issue did not come back.

It is common for Windows Defender to block the Apps and ReadyCloud might not have been automatically added as an exception.

Adding exclusion to Windows defender

Message 12 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

It appears you're having better luck than I.

- I disabled Defender (turned off real time protection and cloud services): Got the sync error

- I added an exclusion, specifically the folder I wanted to back up: Got the sync error

- I rebooted with the above set: Got the sync error.
-Turned Defender back on: Got the sync error.

Beginning to think this is more trouble than it's worth.

Message 13 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried leaving and rejoining the NAS to ReadyCloud? If you are using your ReadyCloud home folders I suggest doing a backup first.

Can you try to use a different connection? Like your mobile data? Just want to make sure

Regards

Message 14 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

Hi,

I'm not using home folders, so I can try to rejoin.

Don't really have an option to switch networks -- these are ethernet connected desktop PCs.

Message 15 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @acraigl

Were you able to check if rejoining the NAS solved the issue? I would advised contacting support again to have this escalated if needed.

Regards

Message 16 of 19
acraigl
Tutor

I'll do that -- rejoining had no effect. Appreciate your trying to help. 

If this is so easily reproduced, I'm not sure why others haven't reported it. 

Message 17 of 19
nadeem_n88
Aspirant

any luck for this problem i have tried all recommendations but still no luck and after reaching 5% of downloading it falild and try to re-synch again

Message 18 of 19
nadeem_n88
Aspirant

Hi

have same issue and tried everything untill i tried to sync only the main folder and i t was empty ,actually it worked and after first synch every file or sub folder i added inside main folder it was sync automatically

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements