Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDrop high CPU usage

JohnnyB75
Aspirant

ReadyDrop high CPU usage

Hi

I've installed ReadyCloud on my Windows 10 32-bit Notebook which has an Intel Core2 Duo 2.26GHz CPU with 4Gb RAM and ReadyCloudClient app has spawn 4 ReadDrop instances and between the 5 app instances they are utilising a constant 40+% of my CPU resource even when the Notebook is doing nothing.  Is this normal?  I've got 4 folders being backed up to the NAS.

Regards

John.

Message 1 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyDrop high CPU usage

Hi JohnnyB75,

I believe this is normal when a backup or sync is in progress between your PC and the ReadyNAS. The said process was initiated by the ReadyCLOUD desktop app and once its done, the CPU utilization will decrease from 40% - 50% to 3% - 5%.

Just let me know if you have other questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 11
JohnnyB75
Aspirant

Hi 

I agree that I would see a spike in CPU during the inital sync each day however this is constant high CPU usage.  I'm guessing there is two reasons for this:

1. That ReadyCloud app and ReadyDrop are constantly scanning the directories for changes
  2. Some of the directories it's trying to sync have over 100k files in them

The problem is that the content isn't changing much in the folders with a large number of files; maybe once a month for my pictures folder which includes my photo's, their thumbnails and my adobe lightroom catelog. 

I'm currently looking at using a third-party app that allows my to schedule my backup intervals (on startup) and backup mechanism (copy if changed).

Any suggestion on how to use the ReadyCloud app to achieve a similar result would be greatly appreciated as I'm going to have to pay for the backup solution I'm currently evaluating soon.

Regards

John.

Message 3 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnnyB75,

Can you tell us the Firmware version of your ReadyNAS and the version of the ReadyCLOUD desktop app installed in your PC?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 4 of 11
JohnnyB75
Aspirant

The firmware version on my NAS is 6.2.5 and I've uninstalled the ReadyCloud app but it was the latest version of the Netgear website (I've only had the has less than a month now).

Regards

John.

Message 5 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnnyB75,

I forgot to ask, what is the Operating System of your PC? If you are using Windows 10, please try this beta app.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 6 of 11
JohnnyB75
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes I am using Windows 10, I'll try out the beta and let you know how I go.

Regards

John.

Message 7 of 11
JohnnyB75
Aspirant

Hi

I tried the Beta version however it will not sync at all.  It just sits there saying syncing, no cpu usage and no folders being created.

Regards

John.

Message 8 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnnyB75,

After installation, did you restart your PC? Once restarted, create a new PC backup folder and see if it'll sync.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 9 of 11
JohnnyB75
Aspirant

Still could get this version to work.
Message 10 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnnyB75,

Can you try to re-install the said ReadyCLOUD Windows 10 beta desktop app software and set the Windows Compatibilty mode to Windows 7 or Windows 8. Also, can you confirm if you can still access your files through https://readycloud.netgear.com/ or other ReadyCLOUD app via mobile or PC.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements