Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Online (VPN Disconnected)

dmkeng
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Online (VPN Disconnected)

Hi,

I have two RN10222D ReadyNAS units, one at my home and the other at my office.  I have ReadyCloud Windows app installed on my home computer, office computer and laptop.  From either home or office through ReadyCloud I can browse through all folders on either NAS just fine.  From my laptop when I am away the home device works fine and ReadyCloud reports Connected (VPN).  However, my office NAS reports Online (VPN Disconnected).  The web interface works fine, firmware is up to date and I tried rebooting the NAS without luck.  Also refreshing ReadyCloud doesn't help.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

David

Message 1 of 46
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Online (VPN Disconnected)

Hello dmkeng,

Let me check this with you again. I have some questions below:

• What you are saying is using your laptop when away from home and office, you try to connect to home NAS via ReadyCloud and it works fine but when you try to connect to office NAS, that office NAS reports Online (VPN disconnected)?

• Using the same laptop, when you are home you are able to access both office and home NAS unit via ReadyCloud?

• Are the home and office networks connected to each other via VPN?

• What's the Windows version of the laptop?

• What's the version of the ReadyCloud app?

• What's the firmware version of both NAS units?

• When you are away from home and you access these 2 NAS units, what Internet service do you use? Is that a free WiFi, mobile data, etc.

Regards,

Message 2 of 46
bourney
Tutor

Hi dmkeng,

I have the same issue so am going to tag along for the ride if you don't mind?

Background....

3 systems around the UK connected to readycloud seeing shares and working fine.

1 system connects and sees the NAS online (VPN Disconnected) , click the refresh arrows and it thinks about it for a bit and goes back to NAS online (VPN Disconnected).

Message 3 of 46
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hi,

I send a PM to both of you.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 4 of 46
LilRos
Aspirant

What was the outcome of this?  I am constantly getting the same promlem with users of our NAS in the office.  Sometimes it'll work but mostly not.  I have to find a solution otherwise I'll have to look at some other way for remote access for my users. 

Message 5 of 46
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hi,

I sent a PM to you.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 6 of 46
bourney
Tutor

The suggestion was that the user name might be case sensitive but that makes no differance at all!
So in answer to you question its still not solved.

This is a big issue for us as we have a large estate of Netgear boxes and I can replicate the issue all over the place!
If I can't resolve it soon I'm going have to change to a different make of NAS.
Message 7 of 46
LilRos
Aspirant

I've heard that suggestion re case sensitivity before but as you said makes no difference at all.  It just sometimes works and then stops for some users!  E.g This morning I setup a brand new user and work fine at first then stopped, yet I can log on with an old one! I too may have to pull the plug on our 4readynas as I need a reliable remote access solution for my users.

Message 8 of 46
bourney
Tutor

Ok so here's a bit more.

As usual Readycloud logs in and can see the NAS but says VPN disconnected so can't see any shares.

I created a router to router PPTP VPN tunnel between the two sites, click the refresh arrows in the Readycloud software and within a few second connected locally and all working. So that disproves the username case issue.
Drop the VPN, refresh the app and back to VPN disconnected.

Another discovery after checking other sites where it is working....... The leaf networks adaptor on a working site is assigned an external IP address once connected and working. On a VPN disconnected site the adaptor is not assigned an external IP but a 169.?.?.? as in it failed to get an IP.

Message 9 of 46
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps port 6300 is blocked on the site that fails.  Did you try forwarding it?

Message 10 of 46
bourney
Tutor

Just tried port 6300 but no differance.

Device online (VPN Disconnected)
Message 11 of 46
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

have you tried using the Beta App? It is found under

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyCLOUD-Windows-App-Beta-1-7-1205-335/td-p...

This is supposed to solve some connection issues.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 12 of 46
LilRos
Aspirant

I'll check but then why would it work sometimes and not other?
Message 13 of 46
bourney
Tutor

The beta app only works with beta NAS firmware.
Message 14 of 46
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

no, this version will work with the latest official release.

As stated on the page the link points to:

This beta is for use with production firmware.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 15 of 46
bourney
Tutor

Installed but it now won't even recognise my username and/or password.

Message 16 of 46
bourney
Tutor

Ok so after removing readycloud(beta) rebooting and reinstalling its logged in but says 'You currently have no registered devices'

Message 17 of 46
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please check to make sure that you installed ReadyCLOUD beta version 1.7.1205.335 ?

Message 18 of 46
bourney
Tutor

Sorry my bad had 1.8 installed!

now have the correct version installed but still VPN Disconnected.

Message 19 of 46
Cyanara
Aspirant

This has also been a constant issue for me since buying two 314s, both of which are situated in a major office building connected to cinenet. Firmware on both has been 6.2.4 since I first set them up.

My personal computer in particular seems to have the worst of it. It used to connect to the backup NAS VPN, but never the primary one (ReadyCloud file access is never a problem). However, it has been months since it will connect to either. I am currently on the beta app mentioned above, have port 6300 forwarded, and have performed multiple reinstalls of Windows 8.1 and 10 in recent months. I've also used a variety of network adapters, and many different Internet connections.

When I install the app on other computers it has no consistent results, usually connecting to only one of them at best. I think I once connected to both through a friend's laptop early on, but the situation seems to have become worse over time.

Restarting the NAS boxes also has no reliable impact on the situation, and neither does turning the ReadyCloud service off and back on.

I also disabled Avast and restarted the app, to no avail.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Message 20 of 46
Cyanara
Aspirant

Installing the latest release versions of firmware and ReadyCloud client has allowed me to successfully establish a VPN to both NAS boxes at the same time. I had to turn the cloud services off and back on for one of them, but this is extremely encouraging.

Message 21 of 46
Cyanara
Aspirant

Just as a further follow up: At least one NAS still won't establish a VPN connection after it reboots. However, it does always seem to work after then disabling and re-enabling the remote services.

The problem with that (besides being tedious) is that I can only do so if I remote into a local online computer in the office. I may attempt a OS reinstall to see if that resolves it. I would have suspected that's what the firmware upgrade did in the first place though.

Message 22 of 46
gotsand1
Aspirant

Netgear: Any permanent solution to this problem (other than installing some previous beta version)?? People depend on these devices to run a business. Not being able to access them remotely is going to lean people to drop Netgear for another solution. Please provide a solution that works (all the time). I have been following this post for some time and have yet to have a good fix that works all the time. I'm running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4.

Message 23 of 46
kshoulder
Aspirant

Same issue arisen out of nowhere. Was working fine now not , Used software available mid December 2015

Any ideas

Message 24 of 46
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kshoulder,

Welcome to the community!

Which software are you pertaining to? Have you checked the ReadyCLOUD connection or service in the admin page if it's online? Kindly provide more details of the problem so we could help you out.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements